Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Concrete cinder block walls

Pages: 1 2 replies

Aloha Y'all, I'm about to start my first tiki build. I've got cinder block walls that I'm going to be attaching bamboo and lauhala matting to. 3 walls are concrete and one is plywood. I put a coat of primer on the cinder block at the suggestion of someone who said to use contact cement. They said the concrete will suck up the contact cement if you don't put something on it first. Before I commit to this idea, I thought I'd ask the pro's if you have better or different ideas. Any experience with good or bad contact cement if that is the way I should go? Also, the matting comes in rolls (it just arrived) do I need to let it lay out flat for a couple of days before I start this project? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I've never messed with any of these materials. Thanks!

Contact cement is the way to do it if this is an outside build.

When you're applying it it's extremely flammable so for basement builds where there are pilot lights we recommend a heavy duty construction adhesive like this: http://amzn.to/2gVON5h

Unrolling it and letting it get the curl out for a few days would be wise.

Welcome to TC! Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Thanks! It is an old Florida Block home that I'm tiking up. I've been working on the remodel for about two months and I'm excited to start the fun part. It looks like it will be about a week before I can get started on the tiki stuff, but I will be taking photos to document this endeavor.

Pages: 1 2 replies