Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Bahi hut NO LONGER being ruined with clown tikis

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

R

Quick test shot of the new mug, actual glaze will differ. Only 50 made for the launch.

Congrats! Very happy for the Bahi Hut!

Mele Kalikimaka

R
R

got mine!!!....DAMN NICE MUG and hefty too!...excellent work that eekum bookum created.

R

We repainted the front door this weekend. It was interesting to see the various colors underneath, all the way down to what was a natural brown wood finish to begin with. I was a little nervous taking the letters and spoon handle off the front door but all went off without a hitch. We have the fiberglass panels set to come out and go off for restoration, one at a time, starting mid-March.

Paint job looks great! That's one thing I always notice that gives a "we don't care anymore" vibe is worn-out, damaged paint. I have to say, tho, a natural stained wood finish would look smashing there as well. :)

G

What a wonderful improvement!! Congratulations on your just completed project.

The Owner is certainly benefitting from his decision to trust your advocacy for "refined" Tiki improvements. Your efforts have saved a wonderfully classic themed bar. Certainly the value of the property has increased with the repairs and media attention.

I have always enjoyed small improvement projects and I am jealous of the incremental improvements you have completed. Visiting the Bahi Hut is on my list for 2018. I will certainly contact RoboTiki before I travel east from Las Vegas.

If a date is established for the Relighting of the Torches, I will build a 5 day visit for that event.

BEST WISHES TO ALL - -

R

And the whole thing that started this thread and lead to a mini revival at the Bahi Hut-- The awful sandblasted things that almost covered the front of the Bahi Hut. I mean can you possibly get any more clown tiki than this fucking thing?

They are still out there on Facebook Marketplace, hopefully to infect some Jimmy Buffet bar with a Seminole chickee hut.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/165844703979616

It is totally due to the outpour of non-support from folks on this page that these things are not installed there now. Tiki folks can make a difference by speaking up.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ Edited by: robotiki 2018-02-08 06:56 ]

[ Edited by: robotiki 2018-02-08 06:56 ]

R

Well I found another usage of the same clown tiki that almost graced the Hut. Doen't look quite as awful as line art but still not good. I'm pretty sure the third one actually was a clown that they added some flowers to.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/255858171/wall-vinyl-sticker-decals-mural-room?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=tiki%20bar%20wall%20decal&ref=sr_gallery-1-32

R

Maybe this will be my last post on this thread as the Bahi Hut story is now one of careful restoration and we have left the awful clown tikis far behind in the dust. But to bring the story full circle to where it started, the owner's son is very involved with the revitalization and on Easter Sunday he pulled me aside to thank us for saving the place from the clown tikis. It seems the night before, the guy who made the big redwood shit tikis dragged one up to the Hut and tried to get them to buy it one last time. He complained bitterly of me and all the "tiki yahoos" that ruined the sale of his party city rejects and how these things were going to make a big difference if we tacked them to the front of our building. The owners politely declined and told me they were even more awful in person. They they told me to commission more real tikis, which I did. Next up a 5' Maori tiki by Patrick Vassar. Stay tuned for that in a separate thread. We came a long way since August and the work is not over yet!

By the way, all of us working on the restoration are going to get t-shirts with Tiki Yahoos proudly emblazoned on them. Hell, may even start a band by that name.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ Edited by: robotiki 2018-04-03 11:54 ]

G
GianFU posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2018 2:33 PM

....hmmmmm.....

You may be thinking to close this thread as a way of purging your mind of the terrible struggle.

I encourage you to consider continuing this thread indefinitely to document and celebrate your efforts and success.

You might want to Open a new thread "The Great Bahi Hut of Sarasota...." to help people find the place and to share in the clean new TIKI BAR that you have helped to restore and reconstruct.

A great new thread of events, and opportunities to reward/acknowledge the owners with our patronage.

Just a Thought from the West Coast....

I racked up a good bar tab there a few weeks ago as a result of the posts by robotiki. My liver thanks you! Very friendly place with a nice authentic retro vibe. Cheers!!!

Tiki Yahoos FTW! They ought to start a rum club or somesuch incentive club for patrons and call it that! :lol:

Looks like the abominable clown tikis still have not found a buyer, so they're up for sale again:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/165844703979616/

Their ad showed up in a sidebar when I was viewing the Florida Tiki facebook feed.

Any interior shot of the place?

I will post some later, I took a few when I stopped by after the Mr. Ho's concert.

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies