Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Below Decks

Pages: 1 24 replies

From what in 2010 was a small 1950's era garage, with white walls and ceiling, to what is now the very humble The Below Decks. Always an incomplete work in progress. Like life.

S

what a great bar!

H

Very nice.

Nice mix of Tiki and nautical

That's fantastic! Can't believe you've kept this fantastic getaway to yourself until now! :wink:

Lots of great Disney influence here, put to great use. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who doesn't have at least one of those drummers! Excellent use of vegetation as interior accents. What I'm really envious of is your magnificent Marquesan tiki. That thing looks really sweet.

Seriously, great job all around!

PP

wow thats so so cool! im stealing some of your ideas! whats the overall size? love it!!!

Great to finally see more than just a glimpse from your cocktail photos. Excellent job with what looks like a tiny space.

On 2017-09-20 12:30, Prikli Pear wrote:
What I'm really envious of is your magnificent Marquesan tiki.

I believe that's one of Tiki Diablo's from Home Depot a few years ago. Most stores only got the Maori and the "Ku." The Marq was a lot rarer. I forgot those existed. Shame they weren't as abundant as the others.

I believe that's one of Tiki Diablo's from Home Depot a few years ago. Most stores only got the Maori and the "Ku." The Marq was a lot rarer. I forgot those existed. Shame they weren't as abundant as the others.

Figures I'd get into tiki after Home Despot stopped offering the cool stuff!

On 2017-09-20 14:47, Prikli Pear wrote:

Figures I'd get into tiki after Home Despot stopped offering the cool stuff!

It is, indeed, a magnificent Tiki Diablo Daniel Gallardo Home Depot Marquesan tiki. For more than three weeks I frequented and searched almost every Home Depot in the Los Angeles area and never once saw the Marquesan. However, I'm more than blessed to have a very good, loyal and way-too-generous friend (Thanks Alan!) who unbeknownst to me drove to Bakersfield, bought one (and I think/hope another for himself), drove back to Los Angeles and left it waiting for me on our front doorstep!

Great bar! Where did you get that Swiss Family Treehouse sign from? I love it!

Dude
Awesome
Looks great
Cheers

Yer place looks great!

Like the old timey photos too.

Amazing, and truly inspiring. Love the Disney references, the place just looks drenched in history.

On 2017-09-21 08:19, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
Great bar! Where did you get that Swiss Family Treehouse sign from? I love it!

Lots of people behind the making of that. The "Swiss Family Treehouse" sign at the bottom was made by a former Disney artist who no longer is in the business of making signs. The leaves and the "bamboo" bucket in the middle was one of the buckets which took water from the river up to the treehouse before it was changed to Tarzan. The leaves in the bucket were also leaves from the Swiss Family Treehouse. (the vines are just added decoration.) The overall design of it was from a sketch by the creative, inventive genius Kevin Kidney, who graciously replied to a request to help make us make a "frame" to display the original bucket. And then from that sketch, it was all assembled, built and put together by Michael Okin.

[ Edited by: The Below Decks 2017-09-22 15:24 ]

Kool

Wow... That's an incredible piece! Thanks for sharing the story/dashing my hopes! :D

Great bar name! Awesome collection of everything tiki/maritime!

Amazing work TBD. Looks like a great place to escape. I'd love to see it in person one day.

The Below Decks, now restocked with honey (and honey syrup!) from its own hives ...

An April, 2018 harvest of The Below Decks honey!

Oooh, yum! I'd planned on building some top bar hives for my place, but then building a tiki bar intervened...

Very few things I like better than fresh honey. I have considered setting up a hive in the woods behind my house. I may have to look into that a bit further. :)

You have a great bar and I love the nautical touches. My father was in the Navy during WWII and I have some fun things I want to include in my bar once I get it going.

R
RichC posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2018 6:53 PM

Fabulous bar!

The Swiss Family Treehouse bucket display is a masterpiece: quite a collector's item. As an Easterner who visits WDW every few years, I forget the SFT is long gone at Disneyland. It's a pity. And that's not to forget the many other great features of your bar. I am new here and have never seen Enchanted Tiki Room drummer carvings -real or reproduction- in a home tiki bar. Same for the singing bird. They are awesome.

I

Awesome bar, awesome work, and looks like a really cool atmosphere in that place. I'm working on mine now, but mine is an open, kinda "outdoor barbecue" area here in Spain, and it'll never have the dark, private, magical feel of The Below Decks.

Kudos!

P

Wow, terrific bar. I love the Disney pieces.

Pages: 1 24 replies