Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Coconut Snow Powder?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Hey everyone, I have been wanting to try some of the various recipes in the Intoxica book and have been stumped trying to find Cocnut Snow Powder. Anyone know what it is and where I can get some?

Just bought some at Trader Mort's, right next to the Bali Hai in San Diego. Real cheap, under $4 ($3?) a can. It's very fine, dry powdery coconut, used for creamy-ing up your drink. I'm told (was it Mrs. ModMana?) that it's best in a blender, even though some tiki-type cocktails should be shaken/stirred, not blended. I'm with her: screw that. if it makes the drink better, do whatever it takes!

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2003-08-21 15:41 ]

T

Liquorama has it, don't know if it's a good price, though.

Thanks for the fast replies! The liquor stores in Minneapolis are really lacking in much of the fixings for tropical drinks! I am so glad the internet exists at times like these!

Off to mix a drink!

T

I've found it at BevMo. Tasty on vanilla ice cream too!

C

Anyone know where to buy Coconut Snow in Canada or in Alberta or in Calgary, Alberta? We are sooooooooo deprived it seems!

Has anyone tried Trader Vics Ko Ko Cream syrup? I just got a bottle and love it. It's opened a whole new window in creating some new drinks.

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/tradervics/prodinfo.asp?number=63305-

I have no current source, but here's what the can looked like in 1988...

from Orchids of Hawaii catalogue

My grandma used to luv the stuff...We sprinkled it on everything, ice cream, waffles, etc....

Does anyone have any recommendations /recipes on the use of coconut snow?

C

You can buy some directly from the distributer in California, I did an internet search for it and found them. Here is the address from my shipping label:

Mele-Koi Farms
P.O. Box 2987
Newport Beach, CA 92659

(The address listed on the can says zip is 92663)

The only drawback is they they have a minimum order and it is like 6-12 cans of the stuff. I also discovered they sell well on eBay so buy 12 and sell the ones you don't need like I did.

I found mine at my local Ralphs grocery store in SoCal but haven't tried it out yet.

Pages: 1 10 replies