Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What are you Drinking?

Pages: 1 36 replies

A

I've heard many centralites mention a favorite drink in passing. Flaming, smoking, dry ice laced, rum rhapsodies. I want recipes. For instance, Shelley always enjoys a good Mojito.

Mojito
7 to 9 mint leaves
1 OZ fresh lime
2 teaspoons Equal or sugar
1.5 OZ White Rum
Club soda
In a pint glass add mint, equal, lime and rum. "Muddle" ingredients. Fill glass with ice, top with club soda. good stuff
Al

TK

Here at the 821 we have a lot of favorites, but here is one I like on a hot summer night:
My Mai Tai

1 ounce Bacardi silver Rum
1 and 1/2 ounce Bacardi 8 Special dark Rum
1/3 ounce Orange Curacao
1/3 ounce Rock candy syrup
1/3 ounce Orgeat syrup
The juice of one fresh lime (only half if you are using a squeezer)
Shake well, strain into a double old fashiond glass filled with crushed ice
Float a few drops of Grenedine and a few drops of Creme De Noyaux on top, garnish with lime shell, mint sprig, orange slice and a marischino cherry, and of course, a cocktail parasol
Visit the 821: http://www.tikiking.com/lounge_door.html
Tell 'em Tiki King sent you!

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King on 2002-07-11 16:53 ]

M

Al-

Good Mojito recipe, but I have to take exception to the Equal! Yuk!

Here's a great twist on that recipe, as made by Hobson's Choice in San Francisco: Prepare as above, but substitue Bacardi Orange for regular white rum. I normally run in fear of flavored rums, but this goes nicely in the Mojito.

Still smarting from missing the Havana Club in 135,

-Martin

Diet cherry coke with a little rum and 99 Bananas.

T

I still have some Havana Club white and Anejo left that friends brought back from Mexico. I love daquiris with Havana Club, fresh lime, and superfine sugar, shaken and served up! The Anejo is great by itself.

M

I like Abstinence on the Beach! lol because I am not quite at the drinking age :D

1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen concentrated grapefruit juice
1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen cranberry juice concentrate
1/4 cup coconut milk
9 cups cold water
In a 6 quart container combine concentrated grapefruit juice, concentrated cranberry juice and water. Put about 1 cup of juice and coconut milk in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and pour back into main juice mixture. Stir to incorporate. Chill at least 2 hours.

I recently tried a mojito recipe that had you make a mint simple syrup with fresh mint leaves ans skipping all the muddling. It was pretty good and the sugar was completely dissolved, rather than sinking into the bottom of the glass.

Skip the soft drinks, what you need is a Mojito Royale (sorry, can't do individual quantities -- this is for a jug):

1 big handful of mint, muddled with 1 tablespoon sugar (I find sugar/simple syrup always recrystallises on hitting the ice)
1 pint Havana Club rum
juice of 4 limes
couple of handfuls of ice
top up with champagne (or cava if you're low-rent like me)

I only serve this and jugs of Cosmopolitans at my parties -- makes it easy. If you want beer, bring it yourself. I must say that the Mojito Royale is pretty lethal -- but it tastes GOOD and makes you the life and soul of the party for those few hours before you crash to the floor.

Bacardi 151 STRAIGHT!!! Hey I am redneck, what can I say. OH and I like beer. Nothing like those sweet drinks though. Thanks for the recipes! Palm Trees and Pine Trees baby!!!!

Usually it's 'Dr. Malice's Sandwich Islands Elixir". Open the cabinet and use whatever is in there with pineapple juice, orgeat etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes, well, there's Tylenol.

For non 'tropical' it it has to be the greatest Prohibition Era drink ever invented:

"THE FRENCH 75"
2 oz. dry gin
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
juice of half lemon
champagne
Shake well with ice. Strain into tall glass with fresh ice. Top with champagne. Get more Tylenol.

:drink: :)

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2002-07-18 10:16 ]

My favorite non-tiki drink is an ancient (ca 1820s) American cocktail called a Stonewall:

1 part dark rum
2 parts hard apple cider

mix together and serve over cubed (not crushed) ice.

I don't know how many of you realize this, but America in the 1820s-1850s was a seriously sauced country. That period marked a level of alcohol consumption that has never been matched, before or since, in this country. Supposedly the modern concept of a "cocktail" was invented during that golden age of alcoholism...

Right now, I'm having a Campari & soda. Not my usual drink, and one which I had to learn how to enjoy. (Like smoking a pipe). It's a good one for a hot day.

I reckon modern day Russia is the drinking equivalent of the US in the 1800's. There was a tv show a few months back about vodka consumption there, and they would wake up, puke from the previous night's binge, and go straight to a new bottle of vodka before breakfast. And that's the women.

Trader Woody

campari and soda -- now you're talking about my favourite drink. However, I don't like to admit this. I was in an Irish pub the other day (a real one) and was foolish or brave enough to ask for a c and s. The Barmaid went ballistic -- screaming across the whole bar that they had a woman in the house who had ordered the world's worst drink. She kept on about it the whole night - -hiding when I went up to the bar, the works. Imagine if I had asked for a Babycham... Hoever, when I was in Italy this was a perfectly respectable drink. Oh well...

Well, most people are phillistines when it comes to bitters, so fuck 'em if they can't take a drink.

The first time I had Campari, I expected a sweet raspberry/strawberry flavour, and the vicious bitter taste instantly gave me a face of a baby sucking it's first lemon. I couldn't finish it, but weeks later I was intrigued enough to give it another go, and through a trial by fire, I now find it's even more refreshing than a G&T.

Must say, though, you are braver than me to order one in an Irish bar! The general pub-going public are more sympathetic to a heroin habit than a Campari fetish.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2002-07-18 15:11 ]

T

How about Punt et Mes? It makes a different but tasty Negroni. Gin cocktails are my second favorite after rum cocktails. I almost never use Vodka, except in a Moscow Mule. Not enough flavor for me. IMNSHO, Vodka is for people who don't like the taste of liquor.

Woody - I like bitters. You know that cherry coke / Banana shnapps / rum thing I mentioned earlier on this thread? I neglected to mention that I add Angostura bitters to it, too.

TK

Ahhh, The Negroni. We love 'em here at the 821, but it is an aquired taste. In fact on the bar menu, it says "you wont like it, but we do"

http://www.tikiking.com Neat Tiki Stuff
http://www.mp3.com/tiki_king Hear the King sing!

[ Edited by: Tiki King on 2002-07-18 17:43 ]

I like anything with a cherry garnish :wink:

T

Have you tried Cherry Heering liqueur from Denmark? It's great in a Singapore Sling, on the rocks, or over ice cream! Don'r forget the cherry garnish.

Also a good liqueur to have around if you like making drinks from old recipe books is Maraschino Liqueur. It doesn't taste like maraschino cherries because it's made from Marasca cherries in Italy, that are somewhat sour. Try a martini with a little maraschino instead of vermouth (or half and half). There are Luxardo and Marasca brands at the local Beverages and More.

S

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-04-23 16:07 ]

S

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-04-23 16:08 ]

There's was rum and hard cider at home last night, so I tried the Stonewall. (But a variation because it was light rum and cranberry-apple cider) Supposedly, not true to form, but it was very nice. Thanks for the inspiration.

I tend to think of the stonewall as a wintertime drink, but for no other reason than that was the first time I had it. It was in an 1820s tavern (no electric lights, wait staff in period costume, period food and drink without all the pesky disentery) at Greenfield Village in Detroit. A rainy November day, and we were the only ones in the place. Burned a jones for that ancient drink right into my brain. Try it sometime with the authentic ingredients - it really tastes like something your great great great grand alcoholic woulda liked...

A Caipirinha,
Juice of 1/2 Lime
Teaspoon sugar
3 ounces Aguardente (Pinga) (sugar cane alcohol)
Serve over cracked ice.
A nice summer drink, but not too many of these, now.

R

If you like bitter cocktails...

Anyone tried Cynar? It's similar to Campari or other red vermouth-type aperitifs, but with extract of artichoke in it. It tastes pretty much like you think it would, and I've become fond of mixing two parts of it with one part London dry gin, over ice.

My other main discovery, here in the Netherlands, is oude genever. It is to London dry gin what an Islay single malt scotch is to cheap, blended scotch. It has the juniper (and other) extracts, but the grain is much more emphasized, and it has a much more caramelized feel in the mouth. It's good enough to drink straight or on the rocks. If you have access to proper Dutch oude genever, I highly recommend it.

I've been curious about Cynar ever since I saw a bottle with it's distinctive label featuring
an artichoke. (Only those weird Chinese spirits with dead snakes/lizards etc. are more off-putting)
Recently, I read an article about the stuff, saying that it really deserved to be a lot more
popular & that they just don't know how to market it. So, it's now on my shopping list.

We became very enamoured of a couple of Genever tasting houses in Amsterdam, particularly
the custom of bending over and sipping the stuff so as not to spill a drop. It also seemed to go
down well accompanied by a plate of oude Gouda (aged cheese) & the local beer at the pub near
our hotel. I must admit to preferring a dry London gin martini, though!

Tradr Woody

T

Last weekend while exploring small towns in the mountains of California, we stopped at a bar in Susanville called the Roundup Room. They specialize in a drink called a Picon Punch. It was delicious and refreshing so I bought the ingredients and made a couple last night. Here's the recipe:

Picon Punch
2 oz. Amer Picon (a bittersweet french apertif that is also made domestically in San Jose)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon grenadine (I prefer 1 teaspoon)
1/2 oz. cognac or brandy
add lots of cracked ice and the above ingredients to a 6 oz. highball glass, fill with soda water, float cognac, add lemon twist

Makes a great before-dinner drink.

I love discovering old bars in small towns that have specialty cocktails. The specialty drink is often made perfectly because they make so many. One such bar is Poor Red's BBQ in El Dorado, CA, just south of Placerville. They specialize in the Golden Cadillac. It is said that they use more Galliano at that bar than anywhere else in the world. It's kinda funny to look around when you're there and see all these tough looking guys drinking creamy drinks from saucer champagne glasses!

Golden Cadillac
1 oz. Galliano
3/4 oz. White Creme de Cacoa
Cream or Ice Cream

Shake with Cream & ice, Strain to serve up, or Omit ice & Blend with Ice cream for Frozen variation

A

Pineapple Paradise
(From "Intoxica" by Jeff Berry)
4 OZ Unsweetened Pineapple Juice
1 OZ Fresh Lime Juice
1 OZ Peach Brandy
1 1/2 OZ Demarara Rum
1 OZ Puerto Rican Rum
1 Teaspoon sugar
Dissolve sugar in lime juice.
then shake all ingredients with scoop of crushed ice. Serve in a hollowed out pineapple.
This is good, strong not too sweet.
Al

P

I have my own versions of some of the well known cocktails hat I have been enjoying recently. The main three are Mojitos, Mai Tais and Suffering Bastards. The secret to a Mojito is the mint you use and how you crush it. I also use two rums in my Mojitos: a white rum and a little of a darker rum, either Barbancourt or Pusser's Blue label. Other than that, the Mojito is pretty standard.

For Mai Tai's I use the Trader Vic's mix, but I don't follow the recipe on the label. I find that makes a mai tai that is too tart and doesn't taste like the drink in the restaurant. But, I found a way to make the Mai Tai taste as good as the restaurant and maybe better, using the mix with a little doctoring.

Fill a 16 Oz rocks glass with crushed ice. Add...

Juice of 1 whole fresh lime,
approx. 1 teaspoon each Rock Candy and Orgeat syrups,
2 or 3 shakes Fee Bros. Orange Bitters,
2 Oz Noa Noa Tahitian Rum,
fill glass up with Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix, leaving about 1/2 inch or so space from top.
Fill the rest of the way with dark rum (Myer's).
Stir and garnish with mint. The color is a little greener than in the restaurant, but the taste comes pretty close.

For my Suffering Bastard I use a recipe that is somewhere between the Grog Log version and the Tiki-Ti version.

Use a double Rocks glass or a 16 oz High Ball glass. Over is add...

juice of 1 lime (or a mix of lime juice and Rose's),
2 shakes Peychaud's bitter, 1 shake Angostura,
1 tablesspoon Orgeat syrup.
2 Oz white rum
1 oz bourbon
fill glass to top with ginger ale

Garnish with mint and cherry.

I find these work pretty well.

Tonight I am having a drink from my copy of Bar Guide (Published by True, The Man's Magazine, 1953 printing). It's a great old guide I inherited from my dad. Illustrated with cartoons by Vip.

TAHITIAN HONEY BEE

1/2 oz. Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Honey
1 jigger Puerto Rican Rum

Mix honey with lemon juice in shaker. Add rum and shake with cracked ice and strain. Serve with twist of lemon peel.

S
samoa posted on Sun, Aug 4, 2002 7:31 AM

SteN TiKi, you not mean to post 2x or you drink so much you repeat yourself and plant 4 flamingos and another palm tree

S

On 2002-08-04 07:31, samoa wrote:
SteN TiKi, you not mean to post 2x or you drink so much you repeat yourself and plant 4 flamingos and another palm tree

Oh, man! The tiki punch is getting to me!

Aloha, Samoa!

Uncle Arty

T
thejab posted on Wed, Aug 7, 2002 9:06 PM

My contribution to the best forum ever in Tiki Central:

Myrtle Bank Punch
1.5 oz. 151-proof Demarara rum
juice of 1/2 lime
6 dashes grenadine
1 tsp. superfine sugar (or sugar syrup)
Shake ingredients with cracked ice; strain over cracked ice in 10 oz. glass. Add float of Maraschino liqueur.

From Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide, First Edition, 1947

Not for the kiddies!

T

I bought a bottle of redrum voodoo rum for the small tiki on the label, but now I need recipes! What can you do with spiced rum?

A

Marlin
(From "Intoxica" by Jeff Berry)
1/2 OZ Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 OZ Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 OZ Marashino Liquor
1/2 OZ Orgeat
1/2 OZ Blue Curacao
1 OZ Martinique Rum
1 OZ Puerto Rican Rum

Shake all ingredients with scoop of crushed ice. Strain in a Double Old Fashioned glass. Garnish with red and green Marashino Cherries speared on a marlin swizzle stick. The photo shows the drink served "Volcano" Style. You can still get this drink at Trader Dicks in Reno. It's a Pilsner Glass with the foot broken off, placed in a Hurricane Glass with water and dry ice.
Al

A

Hell in the Pacific
(From "Beachbum Berry's Grog Log" by Jeff Berry)
3/4 OZ Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 OZ Marashino Liquor
1/4 OZ Grenadine
1-1/2 OZ 151 Demarara Rum
Shake all ingredients with scoop of crushed ice. Strain in a Pilsner Glass . Garnish with Japanese and American Flags.
Dry, Hard and Cruel. What a drink!!!.
Al

Pages: 1 36 replies