Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Kahiki moai Hoffman pottery mug, with cool story

Pages: 1 1 replies

T

This mug is for sale now on eBay, NOT MY SALE.
Posting this here as a thank you to this lady.
The reason is posted below.

See more on Hoffman pottery here….
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18136&forum=5&start=570

11/17/2017
Man! the Kahiki ghosts have come through again!
I can't make this stuff up, went to eBay to lift some photos for this question and find this sale for a Hoffman mug.
But it may put a date on the mug AND markings if you believe this seller, I do.
Not my sale and I don't know this person.

Ebay sale this mug had Ceramics by Hoffman...

VINTAGE KAHIKI SUPPER CLUB / RESTAURANT COLUMBUS OHIO MOAI TIKI FACE MUG MADE BY HOFFMAN CERAMICS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401440732502?ul_noapp=true
This mug dates to March, 1963, when we were living in Columbus and visiting relatives took us out to dinner to celebrate the birth of our son. I saved it because it was such a big deal then for us to eat out. There is some unpainted area along the bottom, due to the manufacturing process. It measures 6 5/8" tall.

My question to her Via eBay.....
Your previous message
Hello nice mug you have, can you help me date these mugs.
Are you sure this came from the Kahiki in March 1963.
These mugs have many different markings and this could help date them.

Thank you so much for your help, I too have one of these mugs.
And I have one of the BIG moai statues front the front of the building.

Good luck on your sale.
Tikiskip

Her reply....
Hello, Yes, it was definitely from March of 1963, the only time I was ever there- out of town relatives took us out to dinner to celebrate the birth of one of our sons- he was just shy of 2 weeks old and was born 3-6-63. I saved the mug and napkin because it was such a big deal then to go out, plus they were "cool"!!! We only lived in Columbus a short time, we moved to Indianapolis soon after and have never been back. Best Regards, Sue

T

For history's sake I need to post this....
Ended:
Nov 20, 2017 , 1:07AM
Winning bid:
US $51.00
[ 3 bids ]
This one did have a glaze issue where there was a glaze skip at the bottom.

Have seen these mugs sell before on eBay for even a bit less than this say $40.00 plus bucks or so.
Again I had no reason to want this to sell high, but for this.
I have seen other mugs that are brand new and not that great sell for hundred's.

Don't get it myself.
Will we see a day when old original menus go for less than new ones?
Yep, yesterday and it was a Disney Trader Sam's menu.

Will the day come when a molded plastic replica caving is highly sought after and worth as much as a Tiki Diablo or Bosko one of a kind hand carved original?

Yes, again Disney.

So where will it end years from now? who will be top sales on the eBay, if there is still an eBay many years from now.

I do know on eBay at this time it's hard to find any old mugs for sale, so maybe people are just holding onto the old mugs, waiting for a chance to trade an old original mug for a new "Fake Tiki™" Star wars tiki mug.

It will be the smoking mister tiki thing from Wal-Mart, THAT will be the MOST sought after tiki item in the future.

Get them now while they are cheap!

Pages: 1 1 replies