Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Exotica 2003: pictures!

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

T
thejab posted on Tue, Sep 9, 2003 7:09 PM

I just got home on Sunday night from my road trip and my laptop wouldn't connect to the internet blah-blah-blah so I finally have pictures to post! Robin bought a digital camera just before our trip so we were playing around with low light pictures. Unfortunately most of them came out blurry, especially the ones of people. Here's the best of them.

Kona Kai:

Hala Kahiki:

More rules:

Trader Vic's:

We couldn't make the Sunday brunch at Chef Shangrila because we wanted to see the Art Institute while we were staying in the loop, but we had dinner there on Monday night:

The beautiful jazz club the Green Mill, open since the days of Al Capone:

We had a ball in Chicago. The weather wasn't too hot, the people (the locals and the visitors to Exotica) were all so friendly and helpful, and I was enthralled by the architecture and history of the city. I want to especially thank James for being the man about town, Mike for keeping us in good spirits, Duke and Amy for arranging for us enjoy the Kona Kai, Bruce for driving us around on Saturday, and Sven for the entertaining slide show. It was a pleasure hanging out with Humuhumu, Formikahini and Chris, Purple Jade, Randy and Naomi, Sven and Naomi, Bree, and even Mrsmiley! I met so many people that I can't recall all their names.

I have more pictures to post later from my road trip after they're developed - including some incredible pictures of steaks!

Here are some more pix of friday's KK experience, just posted by a chi-town friend...

http://www.jenkriesel.com/konakai/index.htm

On 2003-08-24 09:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
AND it was grand to hold my Witco slide show in the hallowed halls of the Hala Kahiki.
Inspired by the Witco imagery, James Teitelbaum announced that his next book project would be: "CONQUISTADOR ROAD TRIP!

From "Mysteries of Easter Island" by Francis Maziere (1965/1968):

"Even in this too-isolated island, peopled by lost Polynesians, the spirit of the Conquistadors has left waste products behind it whose stench is sometimes unbearable".

The meaning of all of this?

None... I just remembered the quote from Sven when I read the above passage in the Maziere text. Go back to your drinks.

On 2003-08-23 10:46, tikibars wrote:

I have the mens shirt that matches that dress!!!!!! It is absolutely my favorite tiki/hawaiian fabric!!!

Wow! I did a triple take when I saw that.

I'd love to get a bolt of that fabric.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

Pages: 1 2 51 replies