Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Lemons

Pages: 1 15 replies

T
TU posted on Sun, Dec 10, 2017 6:30 PM

So...I have 3 lemon trees bursting with lemons. Does anyone have a favorite drunk recipe using lemons? If you are in the Las Vegas area and want some lemons hit me up.

Viking Fogcutter - it's one of my favorite drinks. Be cautious if your lemons are tart though. This drink sings to me when the lemons are tree-ripened and not too tart. The Aquavit float seals the deal.

• Note: Newer Viking Fogcutter versions (starting around 1970) call for lime juice instead of lemon. I'm referring to the 40's and 50's recipes.

On 2017-12-10 18:30, TU wrote:
So...I have 3 lemon trees bursting with lemons. Does anyone have a favorite drunk recipe using lemons? If you are in the Las Vegas area and want some lemons hit me up.

Saturn Cocktail is true Tiki and delicious.
Cheers

I have been on a total lemon kick lately, love it in cocktails. Not tiki, but current faves in rotation at home are:

Bees Knees - gin, lemon, honey
Hot Lemonade (aka Hot Toddy) - bourbon, lemon, honey, hot water
French 75 - gin, lemon, simple syrup, champagne

Definitely echo the Saturn and Fog Cutter (any version!) nods. The Hurricane is a lemon-based cocktail as well. I recently had a lovely drink at one of my work locals made from Old Grandad, lemon, and orange honey. Wonderful stuff.

K

Lots of good cocktails using lemon/orange/passionfruit combos, like the Lapu Lapu. Either way if they're bursting, get juicing and freeze what you don't plan to use!

"If life hands you lemons... freeze them and throw them at passing cars" :wink:

Cannae believe I didn't think of this before - you should totally make a bunch of homemade limoncello!

I make something I call a Trader Vic Lemonade (not because it's actually his recipe, but because it uses alot of his favorite ingredients) when I have a lot of lemons or if its really hot out

1 1/2 oz orgeat
1 1/2 oz lemon juice
1 oz white rum
1 oz brandy
4 oz club soda

Shake all except soda to chill, then add soda and pour into tall glass. Add ice cubes to fill.

Saturns are the best for sure. More of a classic than a tiki drink, the Corpse Reviver #2 is one of my all time favorites.

On 2017-12-11 14:07, lunavideogames wrote:
Saturns are the best for sure. More of a classic than a tiki drink, the Corpse Reviver #2 is one of my all time favorites.

Oooohhhh I second that Corpse Reviver. The greatest of all breakfast drinks.

There's another thread about freezing juices somewhere. I put juices in an ice cube tray, they are about an ounce each. After they are frozen, I individually wrap them in Saran Wrap and then mark and bag them

On 2017-12-12 13:06, MadDogMike wrote:
There's another thread about freezing juices somewhere.

We do get new threads for old questions, so I generally don't answer. It's the same (or very similar) question over and over again. The "we don't answer cuz it's a duplicate" issue is a bummer for the questioner because some of us have extensive experience with some of these repeat questions. The lesson? Search before you create a thread, and you'll probably find a better place to ask your question.

Gotta run -- I have a post I wanna start about "best blender" or "best ice crusher."

Tongue-in-cheek of course... But not really, though, lol...

I blame the sobriety!

Here's that other thread. But it might have been hard to find, it wasn't under freezing or lemon. I was able to find it quickly because I knew I had posted the word "Saran" which is an uncommon word on here :lol:

And the Trader Vic Lemonade mentioned above is basically a Trader's Vic Punch minus the orange juice. There a tons and tons of drinks that require lemons juice. My cocktail recipe DB has well over 30.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Dec 12, 2017 6:34 PM

Invite your friends over for Scorpion bowls....

I second the suggestions for Hurricanes, Saturns, Bee’s Knees, and French 75s. Samoan Fogcutters and Whiskey Sours are other ideas, and one of my favorite up drinks is the Fitzgerald by Dale DeGroff:

1-1/2 oz gin
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz simple syrup
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Pages: 1 15 replies