Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 12-20-17 Christmas No. 2

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge December 20, 2017

It’s that time of year again when we choose to mark the yuletide season in true Tikiphile style with a treeful of tinsel and tensile tunes.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived, but some listeners choose to record it on their computers to listen later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Nani Ke’Li’I Ki’eki’e (Glory to God on the Highest)” was sung in 1978 by Ukulele Master Eddie Kamae and The Sons of Hawaii on their charismatic compact disc: Christmas Time.

2. “La Rue Des Reves” (The Street of Dreams) by Hapa from their extraordinary Xmas CD: Hapa Holidays, featuring Barry Flanagan and Keli'i Kaneali'i on Guitars.

3. “Thirty-Two Feet and Eight Little Tails” by King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis from their CD: Luau in December, with King Kukulele (Denny Monaghan) on Vocals and Bora Bora Bonebrake (DJ Bonebrake) on Vibes.

4. Winter Wonderland,” the 1934 song composed by Felix Bernard and Richard B. Smith performed by Arthur Lyman on his album: Merry Christmas.

5. “I'd Like You for Christmas,” the 1957 recording by Julie London of the song composed by her husband Bobby Troup, from the collection: Ultra Lounge: Christmas Cocktails 1.

6. “Buon Natale (Means Merry Christmas to You)” was composed by Bob Saffer and Frank Linale, and sung by Nat King Cole in 1959. This was deeply derived from the alcoholical collection: Ultra Lounge: Christmas Cocktails 3.

7. “I'm Beginning to See the Light,” The 1944 song by Duke Ellington, Don George, Johnny Hodges and Harry James, was vitally vocalized by Nancy Harms on her tributary album: Ellington at Night, featuring Musical Director Jeremy Siskind on Piano, Danton Boller on Bass and Willie Jones II on Drums.

8. “I'm Gonna Be the First One” was composed, warbled and pianistically rendered by Harry Connick Jr. on his seasonal CD: Harry for the Holidays.

9. “We Wanna See Santa Do the Mambo” by Big John Greer was lovingly lifted from the anthemic anthology: Hipsters’ Holiday.

10. The classic “White Christmas” was written by Irving Berlin in 1940 and debuted by Bing Crosby on his radio show in December 1941, at the outset of World War II. This version was sung for us by John Boutte on the Creole-istic compilation: Putamayo Presents: New Orleans Christmas.

11. “Merry Christmas Baby,” inked in 1947 by Lou Baxter and Johnny Moore, was expertly assayed by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy on their Yuletide CD: Everything You Want for Christmas, featuring Band Leader Scotty Morris on Vocals and Electric Guitar, Joshua Levy on Piano, Karl Hunter on Tenor Sax and Kurt Sodergren on Drums.

12. “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” was written by Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane and introduced by Judy Garland in the 1944 movie: Meet Me in St. Louis, and this lovely version is drawn with peppermint sticks from the superlatitious CD: Chris Isaak Christmas.

13. “We Three Kings,” the 1863 song by Rev. John Henry Hopkins Jr, was performed by another advanced cleric, the Rev. Horton Heat on his tres reyes CD of the same name.

14. The traditional English carol to the tune of Greensleeves, “I Saw Three Ships (Come Sailing In)” was righteously rendered by the California surf band, The Mermen on their celebratory CD: Do You Hear What I Hear: A Very Mermen Christmas, with Jim Thomas on Electric Guitar, Joe Goldmark on Pedal Steel Guitar, Allen Whitman on Electric Bass and Martyn Jones on Drums.

15. “More Poi for You (Reprise)” was performed by the Slack-Keu Guitar Master George Kahumoku Jr. and is nocturnally collected on the careful compilation: Moonbows for Christmas

16. “Gesu Bambino,” the 1917 song by Italian Composer Pietro Yon based on the melody of Adeste Fideles (O Come, All Ye Faithful), is fatefully found on the Minnesota-based singer Connie Eveningson’s essentialist CD: The Secret of Christmas, with Mary Louise Knutson on Piano, Doc Severinson on Trumpet, Dave Martin on Bass and Shai Hayo on Percussion.

Pages: 1 0 replies