Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Sippin' Safari 10th Anniversary

Pages: 1 28 replies

H
Hearn posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2018 4:15 PM

Any update on release date? I’m super psyched for this!....it’s The Bum’s best book IMHO

[ Edited by: Hearn 2018-01-04 14:22 ]

O

Been delayed, but getting close now

H
Hearn posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2018 9:53 AM

Thanks!

Yes, a very good book! At The Hukilau when the book first came out, Kevin Kidney was selling and signing prints of the cover art and also prints of the interior front/back too. And Sippin' Safari, as I recall, was delayed arriving from the printer, so I had to wait to buy it. Then I had to wait until the next year for The Bum to sign it. I bought a set of the prints and they are framed and hanging in my home and looking dang cool!

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2018-01-04 17:41 ]

O

The Bum said the book should be out in February, and that a preorder link should be coming soon

Is this a re-release, or a new version? I'm confused...

On 2018-01-05 14:00, Paulynesian wrote:
Is this a re-release, or a new version? I'm confused...

This is what the article on Slammie said, "“It also features a new preface talking about what led up to the writing of Sippin’, covering the years 1964 to 2006,” Berry said via e-mail. “I’ve also added footnotes to the main text, and a bunch of additional recipes, both old and unpublished, and new ones from the Tiki revival.”"

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2016/06/06/week-in-tiki-april-16-30-2016-new-beachbum-berry-glassware-sippin-safari-10-year-anniversary-edition-plus-event-and-tiki-bar-news-more/

B

The book is now available to order and looks really great:

https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/beachbum-berry-s-sippin-safari

H

Book looks awesome! Love that its hardcover...but $50 after shipping....may need to wait a bit

A

Yeah, I think I'm going to pass. $33 plus shipping. If you already have the first version, this new one doesn't seem to have enough to justify rebuying it. Plus as a hardcover book it won't be as easy to use when making drinks.

K

Also echoing the wait sentiment. Might eventually get it, but it would remain on my bookshelf as opposed to the other two paperback books of his that I can beat up freely. The cost is certainly a factor too.

On 2018-02-15 12:40, arriano wrote:
Yeah, I think I'm going to pass. $33 plus shipping. If you already have the first version, this new one doesn't seem to have enough to justify rebuying it. Plus as a hardcover book it won't be as easy to use when making drinks.

For what it's worth, the original Sippin' Safari was perfect bound, so without chopping the spine and adding a spiral bind to it (recommended!), it was kinda in the same situation with respect to using it in a bar.

Shipping from Cocktail Kingdom is never a bargain, but if you have the luxury of adding to your order, the shipping cost remains the same (to a point, I imagine). I had a couple of other things I was waiting to buy (acrylic coupes and pearl divers). Bundling them together was still $13 total for shipping, making it easier to pull the trigger on the whole purchase.

kevin

Ha! I'm in the same boat, Kevin. My tiki bar's outdoors, by the pool, so no glassware for me. Cocktail Kingdom's one of the few places with a decent selection of acrylic drinkware. I'm waiting for payday and then ordering the 10th anniversary edition along with some coupes. The pearl divers are going to have to wait another month or so.

I'm with Kevin and Prikli. Been holding off on ordering some stuff from Cocktail Kingdom for a while now so this gave me the necessary push. Spent about $100 on a bunch of random things I could use and shipping was $15 on the order so it's really just adding a couple bucks to each item. Can't wait to receive the updated book!

Brilliant context - definitely expensive shipping for a book but I've been looking at picking up a LOT of odds & sods on Cocktail Kingdom over some time, like a bitters dasher for Herbstura, so this is the perfect time & reason to pull the trigger.

B

Received the book yesterday and it's incredible. Not just a reprinting with 55 new pages and 14 new "lost" recipes (which would have still been welcome, of course). The layout is completely new throughout and even the previously-published recipes have updated historical context and are much easier to read this time. Also updated ingredient/product information for things which have become available since 2007. You'll recognize some images from the previous version, but overall this feels like a very different book which a lot of work went into (and not the double-dip some of you may be suspecting). Similar feel to "Potions of the Caribbean," but much more dense with eye-candy. Have only made it through the preface so far, but I'm already very thankful this exists.

[ Edited by: Bumboo 2018-03-20 16:22 ]

Hmmmmm... Makes me wonder if other books released recently had an influence on what was required for an update to Sippin' Safari? It's a whole new world for these sorts of books now.

This 10th Anniversary expanded edition adds:

-- 14 additional never-before-published "lost" classic Tiki cocktails

-- A new 26-page preface detailing how the Bum discovered, decoded, and divulged the book’s long-lost recipes.

-- A new 29-page Afterward charting the Tiki Revival that Sippin’ inspired, with contemporary recipes from the movement’s leading lights across the U.S. and Europe.

-- An all-new design, featuring new photos and graphics unique to this edition.

-- Hardcover, 315 pages.

On 2018-02-20 12:20, OceaOtica wrote:
-- A new 29-page Afterward charting the Tiki Revival that Sippin’ inspired, with contemporary recipes from the movement’s leading lights across the U.S. and Europe.

Makes me feel speshul because I picked up a copy of the first version right when it came out. Does that mean I was involved in all this tiki stuff in some manner ahead of some of the "tiki revival?" Cool! I'm old!

Love the first edition, always will, but this one's pretty special! Thanks Bum!

K

On 2018-02-20 12:20, OceaOtica wrote:
-- Hardcover, 315 pages.

Yikes!

Ordered mine delivered to Cocktail Kingdom... but can't pick it up until next week.

Excited to see the new content in there and try a few new things out!

S

Is there any chance that the book will be listed on amazon, too?

Finally got mine. It was two days late (which is awful considering how much $$ the shipping was, plus I was jonesing to read it). So much better than the original version, so definitely worth it. Berry's writing style is so wonderful and fun to read. I have all of Berry's books going back to the original Grog Log and it's so interesting reading his rum and ingredient recommendations, since the market changes so much.

I like others added to my order. Picking up the very fine (and very light) Beachbum Berry Zombie glasses.

[ Edited by: kevincrossman 2018-03-25 16:40 ]

H

Best Birthday gift ever ahhhh.....

H
Hearn posted on Tue, Mar 20, 2018 4:17 PM

Welp...I finally got it! It’s Fantastic!!!!!

Such a great update to The Bum’s greatest book (IMHO)

One item I thought was curious: The Bum removed The Aku Aku Zombie from the Zombie chapter. Hmmm...

[ Edited by: Hearn 2018-03-20 16:18 ]

On 2018-03-20 16:17, Hearn wrote:
One item I thought was curious: The Bum removed The Aku Aku Zombie from the Zombie chapter. Hmmm...
[ Edited by: Hearn 2018-03-20 16:18 ]

I've noticed there are multiple recipes omitted from both Safari 10th and Remixed. Not a lot, mind you, but with all the focus on the additional recipes, the omissions struck me as odd.

A

Can anyone who now has the new edition tell me if there's a recipe for the Mauna Loa cocktail from Kon-Tiki? Berry references it a couple of times in the original book (and I assume in the new version, too), but there was no recipe provided.

On 2018-03-21 12:52, arriano wrote:
Can anyone who now has the new edition tell me if there's a recipe for the Mauna Loa cocktail from Kon-Tiki?

Nope, sorry.

Pages: 1 28 replies