Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Best Tikicentral derails of all time hall of fame.

Pages: 1 25 replies

T

In another thread that was talking about derailing I thought this could be fun.
The derails can be fun and at times heated, At the very least they most times are where the rubber meets the road.

Adding your favorite train wreck photo may be fun too, But hey you don't have to.
Derail and post a Lama.

T

Here’s a girl who posted some of her lights on a thread that is titled “Tikiskip's / Kahiki lamp,Tiki bar lights, fishing float light” She is long gone so that is why I post this.
It was kinda fun and added to the thread really.
But at least it was tiki and lights, Plus she was from France Oui, Oui Frenchy talk for yes yes.
Derail on Baby!

Put a small train as this derail is kinda weak.

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2018 7:24 AM

Well, there’s the one where Tiki-Ti closed for a little while, and after the panic subsided, the thread jumped the tracks to hipster bashing for pages on end (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=49147&forum=1

Walt just a minute—Skip, YOU WERE THERE!

T

I like the way the guy in your photo is smiling standing by that wreck.

Yeah forgot about that.
BUT I was making a point that this is how these places go out many times they say "no everything's fine" and then go out.
So I think that was on topic really.

Love the Tiki Ti and was glad it did not go out as it is one of the best tiki bars out there.
If not the best.

T

Read this page about the Hipster part.
I think it was fun, and a thread that would have gone like three pages went to TEN.

Like Hipsters don't rip on fat white tiki shirt wearing guys.
I call it tit for tiki tat...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=49147&forum=1&start=75

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Jan 26, 2018 9:32 PM

How I wish I could vote this thread for Cool & Current....

T

"How I wish I could vote this thread for Cool & Current...."

Well it's not cool really.
And it's not Current as it is about old posts.

Plus being on Cool & Current would give it that stigma that is not good.

You need to remember that TC used to have some people from the old Punk scene and they can be a bit harsh at times but still are alright people.
I was reminded of this when I read the thread you posted.
Many of them don't post much if at all now, one was banned.

People have said TC was so bad and that's why they quit coming posting on TC.

Well most of the people that were the "bad" ones were kicked out or left for whatever reasons, and these "bad" people posted lots of non threatening good info stuff too.
I say this because lots of the people who derail threads were the "bad" people.

Where are the people that left because of those "bad" people?
Heck they ran off the "bad" and then they left too.

So the jokes and stuff some don't like is gone and we mostly get tons of "yer Great"
And "awesome work" in it's place.

So I guess were on to a you can post what you like as long as I/we like what you post era.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-01-27 08:09 ]

T

Rufus.

One of the most derailed messed up threads of all time.
29 pages of derailed train wreck.
Some wanted to save the fish, others thought it was stupid.

I wanted to save the fish as fish are people too.

In the end Rufus is gone, the Bahooka is gone, the new restaurant is gone a year later.

help to save bahooka's mascot, rufus~~~
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46856&forum=1&hilite=rufus

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jan 27, 2018 11:07 PM

Wow, I don’t know what it was about that fish, but the same thing basically happened on this thread, too.

what is the update on bahooka's rufus??? the dreaded question continues?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47501&forum=1

T

Dude I looked for a train fish and bam you found one.

You know the derails and BS can be fun I guess the fish just brought it out of people.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jan 31, 2018 9:01 PM

Just looking at a random previous General Tiki page and happened onto this thread:

What is the quintessential tiki movie?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45474&forum=1&start=0

I dunno if it’s exactly “best derail hall of fame” material but it sure was all over the place, going from movies to a discussion of devolution of the term “tiki” to identifying the real life tikis that influenced movie set designs to a discussion on kitsch to Mission Tiki Drive-In.

RR

Just do a search of "Lock this thread" and relive the best of this subject.

S

On 2018-02-01 14:26, Rob Roy wrote:
Just do a search of "Lock this thread" and relive the best of this subject.

Ha!!!! When time permits i'm going to do that. I already know it's going to be awesome.

T

"Just do a search of "Lock this thread" and relive the best of this subject."

That would be a bunch of White devil and witchdoctor posts.
Lots o times not so fun stuff.

That would be a good trivia question though.
How many threads have been locked on TC?

T

This is the goofyiest thread ever.
Can’t tell if it was derailed as it seems to have no train of thought to begin with.

The thing about these train wreck threads is they go on forever, this one clocks in at 10 pages.

Recipe: now for the Chicks.....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=26669&forum=10&start=135

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-02-03 08:01 ]

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2018 10:22 PM

Accidentally stumbled across this thread, which derailed almost immediately (especially considering Sven intended it to be a visual index of non-tiki “tiki” items). By the end people were even talking about train wrecks.

That's just wrong! The un-Tiki thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20545&forum=1

T

Here are a few good lines from that thread.
Good one.

And look back in the bad flame war days you would have MANY pages on just one so so topic.

I know BK you carry a grudge about your misunderstood attempt at constructive criticism here. And yes, the Tiki culture we promulgate here is mainly Polynesian POP, and Pop is usually Kitsch, and Kitsch is bad taste.

But, I say it again, there is GOOD bad taste, and there is BAD bad taste. While some here will throw up their hands about such a statement, others know exactly what I mean.

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Mar 19, 2022 2:29 PM

Well, perhaps the greatest TC derail of all time was the past two years.... At least we're back on track now.

Oh my, I guess I started that derail.

Good times, Skippy, good times!

T

Har! Am going to try and be less.....

Yeah just less.

I am older and more beatup then I was 8 years ago when I was last on TC, but will have to see what happens with those folks who think Tiki is what ever they want it to be, cuz those be fighting words!

[ Edited by Atomic Tiki Punk on 2022-03-21 14:24:07 ]

Well, Mr. Punk, I hope you're not casting aspersions on some recent popular mugs which extend the definition of the genre, such as the Don Knotts commemorative face mug from "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken," as well as the Zardoz mug, including the scaled plastic figurine of Sean Connery wearing his...thingie...

zardoz

Both are from the 1960s, which automatically makes them Tiki Pop, right? And who could forget the classic Karl Childers face mug from "Sling Blade"? All produced by Tiki Farm, of course, to further that perception of the Hollywood connection...

!

[ Edited by Basement Kahuna on 2022-03-29 18:00:37 ]

Tiki Farm… I just remember that guy being really obsessed with male flatulence. Which, if you simply replace the word “male” with “mug” you basically have Tiki Farm as it exists today. That said I’m sure it rakes in a shit ton of money. Remember back when Bad Religion was still a Punk Rock band? I mean, to each their own.. whatever gets it up…

[ Edited by Basement Kahuna on 2022-03-29 15:58:08 ]

Well Zardoz came out in 1974, so no mug was available til after that year, yet I can't find any info on one, (does anyone else know of a Zardoz mug that was available around the time of the movie's release?, besides the new ones now available on etsy)

Tiki Farm has only been around since 2000, so they didn't have anything to do with any of the mugs you mentioned, I just like to stick with the facts.

[ Edited by Atomic Tiki Punk on 2022-03-30 13:16:43 ]

Pages: 1 25 replies