Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Damned dirty apes!

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2018 5:27 PM

After more than a year of not doing any ceramics, GROG finally getting back to slinging mud. GROG had started the last 2 batches of those damned ape mugs before GROG stopped. Now GROG gotta start where GROG left off--- working on Going Primitive Ape mugs. Got some Ape mugs with zebra print fezzes and some that are going to have leopard print fezzes. A few one-ofs and a few AP's and finally these damned mugs will be done and out of GROG' hair.

Originally Rory and Amy ask GROG for 300 mugs for the GOING PRIMITIVE event, so GROG pour 300 mugs. Then they decided they only wanted 150 for the event, so GROG only glaze 150. So, after that we did a few different limited edition runs in different glazes on the remaining mugs. Now these are the last ones that had been poured for the original run.

GROG hasn't fired the kiln in over a year, so GROG vaccuum it out and going to do a bisque fire, because if there's any dust left in the kiln during a glaze fire, it could mess up the glaze on the mugs. The only greenware GROG have right now are some Moai Salt and Pepper shakers and some Disney greenware GROG has had since high school (talk about procrastinating!)

GROG hate glazing. Not too fond of cleaning greenware either.

(GROG not sculpt the Disney ceramics--- they're from commercial molds from years ago.)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2018-02-19 17:31 ]

Welcome back. This is going to be fun. Those animal designs look great. Sorry Dumbo broke. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2018 11:00 PM

Dumbo's been broken for YEARS. Time to put him back together with some paper clay.

The ape mugs have been sitting the way you see them for over a year waiting for GROG to finish glazing enough mugs for a full kiln load. Has GROG mentioned GROG hate glazing?

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2018 11:04 PM

Exciting. I like the apes’ faces. Are you doing anything special to the Disney ones? Tiki-ing them up, somehow? And how might one go about procuring one of GROG‘s completed ceramic masterpieces?

S

About time GROG get back into it. Maybe now GROG finish piece for swizzle he promised years ago. Or if that still too much work, maybe offer swizzle one of these apes.

Welcome back to TC GROG
Me like zebra monkey dude

Ps
I can’t tell who broke Dumbo
Both the dog and duck looking away
So I think it’s one of them
:)

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-02-20 08:18 ]

C
cy posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2018 8:33 PM

Great to see GROG back!!

Those mugs have GROG written all over them.
Good ta see ya back in action!

Go GROG!!!!!! Looking good!

S

Cool, will have to keep an eye out for one. Cheers!

Glad to hear yer back in the swing of things!

Really dig the Zebra and Cheetah-skin fez glazes!!!

T

On 2018-02-20 20:33, cy wrote:
Great to see GROG back!!

No like Grog front?

C
cy posted on Thu, Feb 22, 2018 10:01 AM

Love hairy back.

KraZy Caveman

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 25, 2018 3:28 PM

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Dumbo has been resurrected and Mickey's got a new nose.

Mickey looks like he's doing his best Chaplin impression! :lol:

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2018 8:52 PM

How glazing coming, GROG? I would love to take one of the leopard fezed apes off your hands....

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 22, 2018 12:21 AM

No ape glazing right now. Still cleaning Disney greenware when I have the time.

Love that mug!

T

Go, GROG, go!

Time to post again. Wendy

Z

GROG always make best mud stuff.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2018 10:29 PM

On 2018-03-19 20:52, Hamo wrote:
How glazing coming, GROG? I would love to take one of the leopard fezed apes off your hands....

GROG would love that too. May still be a while before that happens, though. Still no glazing.

[ Edited by: GROG 2018-03-25 22:38 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2018 10:30 PM

On 2018-03-22 11:47, zerostreet wrote:
Love that mug!

Thanks. GROG hate it---well at least having to glaze it.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2018 10:31 PM

On 2018-03-23 18:12, Tele295 wrote:
Go, GROG, go!

GROG went. Now GROG back.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2018 10:40 PM

On 2018-03-23 19:24, danlovestikis wrote:
Time to post again. Wendy

Not much different.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 25, 2018 10:41 PM

On 2018-03-24 13:37, ZeroTiki wrote:
GROG always make best mud stuff.

You're confusing GROG with Crazy Al.

It is fun for me to see your work space. I hope you wear a mask while sanding. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2018 9:43 PM

GROG! How this coming...?

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Feb 10, 2019 2:49 PM

How about a progress report, GROG? (I selfishly ask, because I want one of these mugs.) After all, it's almost been a year....

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 10, 2019 11:58 PM

Sorry Hamo. Nothing has been happening with ceramics. I'm working on a really tough Scooby Doo series, and it's really stressful. It's hard bustin' ass doing art all day, and then coming home to do more art. We only have 30-something people on our team at work, and we've lost more than that after the first season because of how hard the show is. They've either been fired, or quit, or 1 guy even died. The good part is, there are 4 people on the team into Tiki, and three of us have home Tiki bars.

Ruff Rob.
Sounds like the next episode.
Rooby Roo to the rescue.

So good to see you post. Thank you Hammo for asking him. Take care of your heart GROG by taking time to relax completely. I miss your art but one day you'll be an old retired guy who does it all day long for fun. Hugs, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Feb 11, 2019 10:19 PM

Yikes, yes--please don't work yourself to death.

"And I would have glazed those mugs if it hadn't been for you meddling kids, and that dog, too."

Aloha to my favorite caveman

GROG!!!!!!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 25, 2019 7:25 AM

The last of these Ape mugs have been waiting around until GROG had enough pieces to glaze
to have a full kiln load. Threw some in with the bowls for the Bowlarama show.

Some Artist proofs.

First five of a limited edition run of 15 in Zebra fezzes. Should have left the face grey or black
and white so the whole mug was black and white, but too late now. Hind sight 20/20.

Oh, those are FANTASTIC!

Awesome my friend

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 25, 2019 9:25 AM

Thanks guys. Also--cartoon Network finally announced when our Scooby Doo series is coming out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_EE8i-wdtg

[ Edited by: GROG 2019-06-25 09:26 ]

I'm LOVING that anglerfish monster!

GROG,

This new Scooby stuff looks awesome! I'm a huge fan of the original Scooby Doo, Where Are You? and Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated.

-Damon Pupu

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 25, 2019 12:53 PM

Yeah. Thankfully we went back to the old classic designs with classic run cycles and walk cycles like the old show. It debuts on an App, but sometime in 2019 they'll show it on TV---either Cartoon Network or Boomerang----most likely Boomerang. The artists on the show are always the last to know. An ex-employee over at Dreamworks saw that they released a trailer and announced a release date. He emailed another employee who no longer works on Scooby Doo, and she emailed us.

(GROG derailed GROG own thread, but that's OK---it may be awhile until these last Ape mugs are done.)

Congrats on the series finally coming to light, Grog! And I have to say, the New Scooby-Doo Movies" were my favorite. I loved those bizarre team-ups with Batman & Robin, Speed Buggy and the Addams Family. In my mind I clearly remember a crossover with Goober and the Ghost Chasers, but the interwebz indicate I am hallucinating that one.

And, ahem, if you ever need to find homes for any of those gorgeous artist proofs, please let me know.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 27, 2019 12:03 AM

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Swizzle sent GROG this:

On 2018-10-16 02:31, swizzle wrote:
Found on Instagram.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: grog 2019-06-27 08:48 ]

Such attitude! Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Jun 27, 2019 8:40 PM

Your mug is a thousand times better than that knockoff. And I'm stilll interesting in taking a leopard-fezzed version off your hands....

Wow! Those are some of the best mugs Iv ever seen grog! I love monkeys ? in tiki! I fact my home bar is called the blue monkey lagoon! I’m always looking for monkey related tiki stuff to put in it! Are you making any more to sell?

Pages: 1 2 56 replies