Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Outdoor Tiki/Adventure Bar In the works. Need some suggestions to finish it up.

Pages: 1 17 replies

The image above shows where I ended up last weekend on my Tiki/Adventurer outdoor bar.

A little background, I started the project last year with my dad after my wife and I bought the house. We have a gravel foundation and the rest is 4x4 posts stained with a vinegar and steel wool mix, 2x4 and fence posts.

I just cut my sloped roof and abandoned the corrugated metal roof and plan on doing a thatch roof since it will be safer and won’t get too hot in the summer. I plan on decorating with adventurer pieces like lanterns, gas cans, masks, safari gear, and vintage aviation and nautical items.

Here are a few questions that will help me wrap this up.

1. Does thatch roofing need some sort of waterproof underlayment? Where is the best place to buy thatch roofing?
  2. Should I stain the front boards or leave them and drape fishing net over them under the signage?
  3. What type of lighting should I do inside that would be ok for outdoors?
  4. What type of decorations should I put inside that would be ok for outdoors?
  5. Where is a good place to buy large wooden Tikis?
  6. BIG ONE...what is the best bar top I could use outdoors that’s not too expensive?

I think that’s all and I look forward to your advice. I’ll be going to Oceanic Arts this weekend but am on a bit of a budget for the rest.

Here’s the signage my wife bought which will be mounted on the front.

M

I'm rather new, I do have a couple of suggestions for your build. First, I would definitely put down some roofing felt before installing the thatch. I'd also slap on some less than toxic treatment for the wood prior to the felt.

I would try to get a little creative with a torch for that front area. You can give it a more aged look and you can burn in some words, just don't get too wild and crazy with the torch! Make sure you have water readily available.

Good luck with your build!

I would add a tiki or two.

T

On 2018-03-19 22:13, IFlyPlanes wrote:

Here are a few questions that will help me wrap this up.

1. Does thatch roofing need some sort of waterproof underlayment? Where is the best place to buy thatch roofing?

Assuming you are framing/sheathing a regular roof under the thatch, check out ice and water shield. It's self-adhesive and waterproof, will seal around nail holes, and should last a while if it's not
exposed to uv under the thatch. You could also try cheap asphalt roll roofing, or both.

1. Should I stain the front boards or leave them and drape fishing net over them under the signage?

Depends on the wood, how long you want them to last, and what color/tone you want. If they are pressure treated or a rot resistent species like cedar you could leave them to age and weather. They will turn grey eventually without any protection.

1. What type of lighting should I do inside that would be ok for outdoors?

Easiest answer is to look for lighting that is rated for outdoors. Holiday exterior LED lighting would probably fit the bill, since it's made for hanging outside.

1. What type of decorations should I put inside that would be ok for outdoors?

Just about anything can be kept outside if treated for moisture and uv resistence. Look for spray uv protection (clear coat) for anything that isn't flat enough to receive a brushed on polyurethane.

1. Where is a good place to buy large wooden Tikis?

I'm not sure what you've got locally, but there are lots of online choices if you've got the cash to pay for shipping. I'd look for sources that are within driving distance first.

1. BIG ONE...what is the best bar top I could use outdoors that’s not too expensive?

Lots of coats of marine spar or polyurethane could work if it's not going to get too much direct sun. Other options that would be cheap if you do your own work would be poured and stained concrete with embedded tiki objects (black could look like lava flow), mcm themed tile, or even sheet copper or other metal, scuffed and stained to look rustic.

Best of luck! Looking good so far!

Thanks! Great suggestions so far.

As for what's local, I'm going to Oceanic Arts this weekend (hopefully). I'm sure I'll find something there.

Lots of good answers here already, but the best thing I could suggest is simply reading through the older threads here on the Home Tiki Bar pages. Some of the builds are quite impressive and the source of much inspiration. Some suggest solutions to problems you didn't know you had. In my thread for the Lagoon of Mystery, I've tried to present a build-along to provide how-to information for anyone overwhelmed by the challenges involved. Don't know how effective I am at that, but there it is.

I agree that flame-treating those front-facing boards is the first thing that occurred to me, but that aesthetic's not for everyone.

The other can't miss thread is The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, filled with the wisdom of experience gleaned from much trial-and-error.

On 2018-03-22 10:49, Prikli Pear wrote:
Lots of good answers here already, but the best thing I could suggest is simply reading through the older threads here on the Home Tiki Bar pages. Some of the builds are quite impressive and the source of much inspiration. Some suggest solutions to problems you didn't know you had. In my thread for the Lagoon of Mystery, I've tried to present a build-along to provide how-to information for anyone overwhelmed by the challenges involved. Don't know how effective I am at that, but there it is.

I agree that flame-treating those front-facing boards is the first thing that occurred to me, but that aesthetic's not for everyone.

The other can't miss thread is The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, filled with the wisdom of experience gleaned from much trial-and-error.

The wood used for the frame was the same color. I put steel wool in a spray bottle with vinegar and let it sit for a day and sprayed it on to get that look. I'm thinking of doing it again but after mounting the sign I'm afraid there won't be enough contrast.

I've spent a lot of time in the other home builds which have been a huge inspiration. One of the challenges I have is it being outdoors so a lot of the same principles can't apply unfortunately.

Thanks so much for your response!

Yes, being outdoor really restricts the options available. My build is mostly covered, but still outdoors, so there are a lot of cool things that simply wouldn't survive the elements. It's a challenge, and more than a little make-it-up-a-you-go-along is involved. You're doing a great job thus far. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

T

On the roof, we had a small bar with a roof on it and the wind messed with it a lot.
It was a huge pain in the butt.
If you add a roof secure it very well and think about the wind that is going to F*** with it.

You got some nice grass there, but it is going to be trampled with people standing at the bar as people will do and this will make not so nice grass.

Might want to put in some pavers to keep this from happening.

Good luck.

Thanks Skip!

I plan on eventually putting pavers though we only entertain occasionally.

What I'll probably end up doing mostly is hanging out in the bar with 1 or two others since it looks out over our nice lawn and garden. Almost like an open escapism room where we can lounge. Theres plenty of room for a couple of stools.

T

"5. Where is a good place to buy large wooden Tikis?"

Damn sounds like you are in Cali so go to one of the many events there and buy right from the carvers.

Heck contact Tiki Diablo or TIKIBOSKO, they are good ones in my book.
Bosko most times has something to sell.

Anything but some Indonesian tiki crap.

Some progress pics from the weekend.

I put up the 2x4 sloping beams, topped it with plywood and layered some tar paper before putting down the thatch.

I also finished some of the outer wood work and cut down a bamboo runner so that I can use it as a bar top and roll it up when it’s not in use.

Next step is to finish staining and start decorating.

Does anyone know where I can get large crates for reasonable prices? I plan on decorating it with a lantern and gas can right outside the entrance.

Also, any recommendations for blinds on the outside of the bar top?

Lastly, what would make for some good lighting on the inside?

Thanks again all!

PP

found these on pinterest many years ago, think it be perfect for your adventureland bar....

Thanks for these! The first few were actually from a Popular Mechanics article from a Canadian builder. He gave a step by step of the build from the foundation up.

It was my starting point. I started modifying after the the structural part was built.

Following along. :)

Where did your wife get the cool sign?

A lot of progress since my first post!

Here are a couple of pics and a full album here: https://imgur.com/a/ZG6Gq

It's pretty much done except for some Tiki statues, masks, metal signage, an airplane propellor and some other Tiki/Adventurer stuff going on interior shelves and walls.

BB

Nice. Are those lanterns functional? As frosted as they look you could electrify them with some low-watt bulbs for a nice soft glow. Speaking of lighting, that string of small bulbs looks like a good start. Lots of small, low lights add to the atmosphere. Maybe see if you can work in some colored sources of light too. Can't wait to see a night shot of this.

I do have a shot at dusk with the lights on in the Imgur album.

The lanterns have flameless candles in them and I frosted the glass so it creates a nice glow. It is a pain to turn all 3 of them on though so I may look for a wired solution. Trying to figure out what will work best.

I also do plan on adding some colored lighting. Again exploring my options with how I want to execute but thinking of soft glows against the back wall in red or green.

Pages: 1 17 replies