Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Kai-Lei Tiki Shack

Pages: 1 2 55 replies

Sheesh, look at that mirror like reflection off the bartop! Congrats on a great build, I love the use of the reeds on the interior roof line. Need some party pics and some more exterior shots!

Amazing! What a fantastic shack!

T

Sorry wrong thread.

BUT now that I look at yours it too is a great build.
I never used to look at these much before but I see that people are getting pretty good at this tiki build out thing.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2018-10-30 06:50 ]

T

"Should I spray the matting with thatch safe fire retardant or not and more importantly, should I apply any poly coating on it? And if so, do I brush it on, roll and back brush for bubbles, spray...? The homeowner likes the look of the matting as is so whatever treatment I do, I want to alter the appearance as little as possible. I did already purchase the honey teal wood finish for the bamboo but I don’t want to change the color of the matting at all. A test on the bamboo does make it look more rich but deepens the color a little bit. Thanks for any help."

After reading I saw this.
Remember the matting will turn more grey over time so if you want to alter the appearance as little as possible then to put a coating on it would help keep it's color.
I use amber Shellac, you could use the clear one.
I even do the bamboo.

Amber Shellac makes the whole place glow.

When we put it on we use a brush and go over every part bit by bit, it's a pain.
BUT it looks great I think.
Some don't like the shinny look so you would need to spray with a satin top coat to get rid of that.

Good luck.

One word: WOW! Great job!

This looks awesome! Great work!

BB

That is gorgeous!

This is a really excellent space. Well done by all. I have a question though, is it heated? I'm hoping to tikify our 3 season porch, but I'm afraid of what freezing weather might do to things i.e. mugs, float balls, pictures/frames, puffer fish :) etc. Maine has sorta the same weather as Ontario, so thought I would ask. Again sweet build congrats.

Pages: 1 2 55 replies