Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 8-22-18 Birthdays

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge August 22, 2018

On this week’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we celebrated birthdays of just a few of the musicians who were born in the adamantine month of August.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org.. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows from this year are now available to listen to in their entirety at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “Kawika” is the 1947 recording included on our Birthday Boy’s fond look back titled: Andy Cummings & His Hawaiian Serenaders, with Cummings on Guitar, Gabby Pahinui on Slack Key & Steel Guitar, David Nalu on Steel Guitar, Ralph Alapa’i on Ukulele and Joe Diamond on Bass.

2. This version of “Pua Mae’ole” was composed, sung and played on Ukulele by our Birthday Girl Raiatea Helm on her superliatitious CD: Raiatea – Sweet & Lovely.

3. “On a Coconut Island,” composed by Robert Alex Anderson, was waxed in 1946 by our Birthday Celebrant Louis Armstrong & The Polynesians, who included Andy Iona on Ukulele and Sam Koki on Steel Guitar. Throughout his life and career Armstrong was happy to tell people that he was born on the Fourth of July, but the truth was that his birthday was August 4, 1901. This version is derived from the bulging box set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

4. “Maunaloa Slack Key” was recorded Live in Maui in 2003 by our Natal Notable Ledward Kaapana and was drawn with tongs from the accurate anthology: Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar.

5. “The Man I Love” was the 1924 song written by George & Ira Gershwin and was dropped from several of their shows. Sung by Lee Wiley in 1945 and appearing on her august album: Live on Stage, Town Hall, New York, this track spotlighted the talents of our Birthday Boy Jess Stacy on Piano and Eddie Condon on Guitar.

6. “Speak Low” was composed by Kurt Weill with lyrics by – of all people – the popular poet Ogden Nash for the 1943 Broadway musical: One Touch of Venus, and was vocalized for us by our August Birthday Girl Ethel Azama on her 1958 lush LP: Exotic Dreams, arranged and led on piano by Paul Conrad.

7. “Singin' in the Rain” by Arthur Freed and Nacio Herb Brown for the 1929 movie: The Hollywood Music Box Revue and was later used to great effect in the 1952 Gene Kelly movie of the same name as the song. This version came from Toni Harper’s 1966 laminated LP: Toni, with the Oscar Peterson Quartet, featuring Mr. Peterson – one of our August Birthday Celebrities -- on Piano, and fellow Birthday Boy Herb Ellis on Electric Guitar, with Ray Brown on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

8. “We’ll Be Together Again,” the 1945 song inked by Frankie Laine and Carl Fischer, comes from the duetical disc laid down in 1975 by two of our August Birthday Boys titled The Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album.

9. “Bamboo Shoots” was warbled by the French singer and Birthday Girl Cyrille Aimee on her Django-ish disc: It’s a Good Day, with Adrien Moignard, Michael Valeanu and Guilherme Monteiro on Acoustic and Electric Guitars, the song’s composer, Sam Anning, on Bass and Rajiv Jayaweera on Drums.

10. “Ciao, Ciao, Bambina” the 1959 song written by Domenico Modugno and Edoardo Verde, with English lyrics by Mitchell Parish, was vocalized by our Natal Notable Buddy Greco on his 1964 lounging LP: My Last Night in Rome, arranged and conducted by Marty Manning.

11. “Make Me a Present of You” was composed by Joe Greene and performed in 1957 by our Birthday Girl Dinah Washington, and appears on her 1956 recording simply titled Dinah!

12. “Charade” the song written By Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer for the 1963 Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn movie of the same title, comes from the comely creation: Two for Brazil Goes to the Movies, starring our Natal Celebrant Paulinho Garcia on Vocals and Acoustic Guitar and Greg Fishman on Tenor Sax.

13. “Take it Easy, My Brother Charlie,” composed by Astrud Gilberto and David Jordan, appears on Gilberto’s 1972 timely LP titled: Now, featuring our August Birthday Boy Airto Moreira on Percussion.

14. “Satin Doll,” created by Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn and Johnny Mercer, was sung by our Natal Notable Patti Austin on her centered CD: for Ella, with the German WDR Big Band and Orchestra arranged and conducted by Patrick Williams, spotlighting the talents of Frank Chastenier on Piano.

15. “It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)” was recorded in 1956 for the outstanding album: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book, featuring our Birthday Boy Stuff Smith on Violin, along with Paul Smith on Piano, Ben Webster on Tenor Sax, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Joe Mondragon on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies