Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 9-12-18 George Gershwin

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge September 12, 2018

On this week’s show we celebrated the natal debut of composer George Gershwin, born on September 26, 1898 and who died much too young in July 1937, but not before giving us some of the most glorious music in the known and unknown universe.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org.. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows from this year are now available to listen to in their entirety at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “Oh! Lady Be Good” performed by Sol Hoopi’i from the Box Set: It’s Hotter in Hawaii, composed by George and Ira Gershwin for the 1924 Fred & Estelle Astaire Broadway musical also called: Lady Be Good.

2. “Somebody Loves Me,” written by George Gershwin, Ballard MacDonald and Buddy DeSylva for the Broadway revue: George White's Scandals of 1924 and recorded in 1947 by the master guitarist and featured on his collection: The Best of Les Paul: 20th Century Masters - Millennium Collection.

3. “The Man I Love,” the 1924 song by George & Ira Gershwin that was dropped from several of their shows, featured on the 1998 album: George Gershwin 100, arranged and conducted by Matt Catingub, who also appears on Alto Sax, and featuring Louis Bellson on Drums.

4. “But Not for Me” the George & Ira Gershwin tune from the 1930 Broadway musical: Girl Crazy, where it was sung by Ginger Rogers, recorded by Mark Murphy for his 1960 LP: Playing the Field.

5. “They Can't Take That Away From Me,” by George & Ira for the 1937 movie: Shall We Dance, sung here by Fred Astaire on his1952 all-star recording date: Steppin’ Out – Astaire Sings, with Oscar Peterson on Piano, Charlie Shavers on Trumpet, Flip Phillips on Tenor Sax, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Ray Brown on Bass and Alvin Stoller on Drums.

6. “I Got Rhythm” also written by George and Ira Gershwin from the 1930 Broadway musical: Girl Crazy, recorded in 1960 or 61 by The Latin Jazz Quintet, featuring Eric Dolphy on Alto Sax, Felipe Diaz on Vibes, Arthur Jenkins on Piano, Bobby Rodriguez on Bass, Tommy Lopez on Congas and Louie Ramirez on Timbales, taken from the historical anthology: Eric Dolphy – Complete Latin Jazz Sides.

7. “Little Jazz Bird,” by George and Ira Gershwin and originally performed by Cliff “Ukulele Ike” Edwards in the 1924 Broadway musical: Lady Be Good, sung here by Blossom Dearie on her 1959 LP: My Gentleman Friend, accompanying herself on Piano with Kenny Burrell on Electric Guitar; Bobby Jaspar on Flute; Ray Brown on Bass and Ed Thigpen on Drums.

8. “Swanee” composed by George Gershwin when he was 19 and later used when he was 25 in the 1919 Broadway revue: Demi-Tasse, performed by Martin Taylor on the Gibson Style-U Harp Guitar, and David Grisman on Mandolin, Mandola & Mandocello, from the 1995 splendiferous CD: Tone Poems II.

9. “I Was Doing All Right,” written by George & Ira for the 1937 movie: The Goldwyn Follies, this 1959 version taken from the Annie Ross LP: The Gasser, featuring Zoot Sims on Tenor Sax, Jim Hall on Acoustic Guitar, Russ Freeman on Piano, Monte Budwig on Bass and Mel Lewis on Drums.

10. “There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon for New York,” composed by George Gershwin and DuBose Heyward for the 1935 Broadway musical: Porgy & Bess, sung by Sammy Davis Jr., featured on the Box Set: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story.

11. Also from Porgy & Bess, “I Got Plenty o’ Nothin’” from the 1956 LP: Russell Garcia’s Wigville Band, arranged and conducted by Russ Garcia with Peggy Connelly on Vocal; Pete Candoli and Stu Williamson on Trumpets; Russ Cheever on Soprano Sax; Charlie Mariano on Alto Sax; Bill Hollman on Tenor Sax; Jimmy Giuffre on Baritone Sax; Al Hendrickson on Guitar; Max Bennett on Bass and Stan Levey on Drums.

12. “Our Love Is Here to Stay” by George & Ira Gershwin, composed originally for the 1938 movie: The Goldwyn Follies, with this version by Harry Connick Jr. taken from the soundtrack album for the 1989 movie: When Harry Met Sally, featuring Harry Connick on Vocal and Piano, Frank Wess on Tenor Sax, Jay Berliner on Acoustic Guitar, Benjamin Jonah Wolfe on Bass and Jeff “Tain” Watts on Drums.

13. “Embraceable You” from the 1930 Broadway musical: Girl Crazy, where it was sung by Ginger Rogers, in a version taken from the 1959 magnum opus: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the George & Ira Gershwin Songbook, featuring Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra.

Pages: 1 0 replies