Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Xaymaca Blending Advice

Pages: 1 4 replies

I had planned on mixing Xaymaca (it's finally here!) 50/50 with Coruba, however, Coruba is no longer sold in Kentucky. I can get Myers, OFTD, all of the Appleton family, and Ed Hamilton's rums locally. I would appreciate any advise on how best to blend Xaymaca for use in drinks such as the Navy Grog, etc.

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2018-11-23 20:57 ]

R

What are you trying to accomplish by blending? Without any context it's impossible to answer the question. On its own Xaymaca has a similar flavor profile to Appleton Signature, the biggest difference is that its not quite as smooth. So you could use it on its own whenever you want a low funk Jamaican flavor. If you blend with Smith & Cross or EH pot stills you could use it to cut down on the pot still funk in either of those rums, and maybe add a bit of burn to the Smith & Cross which is pretty smooth. Blending it with any of the "dark" rums, you're combining two very dissimilar flavor profiles together.

I've seen Xaymaca + Appleton 12 suggested as a very tasty "dark Jamaican" blend, though not as similar to Kohala Bay than blending with coruba. Other dark rums like Diamond Reserve Dark or Plantation Original Dark also make for good black blended rums when combined with Xaymaca.

Sorry I should have said that I'm trying to get as close to Kohala Bay as possible for use in many of the classics such as Navy Grogs etc.

R

On 2018-11-30 10:53, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Sorry I should have said that I'm trying to get as close to Kohala Bay as possible for use in many of the classics such as Navy Grogs etc.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45641&forum=10&start=180

The interesting bit for you will be on the last page. I've never had Kohala Bay so I cannot comment. Although I would caution against Plantation Original Dark as I find that to be very sweet and I suspect Kohala Bay was not an overly sweet rum.

It can be deployed as a viable Kohala Bay alternative when mixed 1:1 with a rich dark rum (like Coruba or Plantation Dark or even El Dorado). My favorite is a 1:1 mix of Appleton Reserve and Xaymaca. It isn't as identical to KB as using Coruba, but tastes like a much higher quality, sippable version of it.

[ Edited by: rangda 2018-11-30 12:14 ]

[ Edited by: rangda 2018-11-30 12:16 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies