Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Enchanted Tiki Room Anniverary Official Press Release

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies

HH

Wow, you really need to get in touch with your inner child. I did'nt think that "normal" people actually existed.

HH

ok sorry bout that. It was great seeing everyone again, Humahuma a pleasure as always. Bax,monkeyman, alnshelly , love you all, wish I could have made it to the hawaiian room. We were beat by the end of the night. POlypop, dude sorry I didnt get to talk with you my phone went on the blink, I never evan got in to get myself a mug. Anyways Bro we're still down for Hawaii.

HL

Oh, I'm down with doll clutching. That's not what's wrong with her. I guess you would have had to talk to her to see that something wasn't quite right.

I had a friend who had a bad, bad, chemical imbalance and ended up loosing it one night. He attempted to cut his wife's head off with a samauri sword in some kind of altered mental state. After he got Baker Act-ed and on medication of the correct dosage, he was back to his old self again.

I got the same vibe from Stitch-girl that my friend during his "wrong dosage" days. Kind of like the old Far Side cartoon, "Nature's Way of Saying Don't Touch."

My cornerstone of my philosophy is that everyone is crazy. The key to a successful relationship is to have compatible psychoses.

I RULE !!!

I received a phone message from Disneyland Saturday evening and just returned the call. It turns out I was FIRST on the waiting list for the Shag/TikiRoom print and they had either put aside 2 or 3 for the waiting list folk, or had a few remaining. I probably shouldn't jinx it by shooting my mouth off here, but they're shipping it right out. WAHOO!!! sweet justice for a huge Disney & tiki fan who lives too far away to compete with the local LA ebay people.

-Z

K
kha_o posted on Tue, Sep 30, 2003 5:19 AM

Congrats!

Mrs. Lava was standing with Hot Lava when he was standing with the stich girl and she agrees with him. Something was a little off. Congrats to Feelin' Zombified for getting the print. I would call that a tiki room miracle.

S

A little off?...this from a bunch of people in hawaiian shirts, waiting in line since the wee hours of the morning to get in another line for several hours to buy tiki mugs and such. (I was there too and it was great!)

(Ooh, I'm a socialite now!)

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2003-09-30 20:41 ]

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:09 ]

H

Doug Marsh posts here as Tiki Room Fan. I thought he was very nice, and I enjoyed being able to see his memorabilia (after all, given the setting, it was of interest to people there). He created a post in Locating Tiki for The Alibi, so evidently he does get outside Disneyland. I thought he was very nice, and yes, quite odd. Odd is just hunky-dory in my book, and if I were to start judging who is "off" and who isn't, I'd have to look at myself first, and frankly, I wouldn't pass. I don't think a lot of folks here would, either, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you all were normal, I'd find you dreadfully dull.

Interesting article! I must say those Disney enthusiasts remind me a lot of some of us when it comes to the passion they hold for their love of Disney. I know I'm a passionate enthusiast of tiki myself and can totally relate to the article when it described how the Disneyana's pointed out the parts of the park that weren't part of "Walt's vision." I certainly do the same thing with tiki "outsiders" when I take them to an old Polynesian restaurant.

I agree with Humuhumu when she says, "if I were to start judging who is "off" and who isn't, I'd have to look at myself first, and frankly, I wouldn't pass. I don't think a lot of folks here would, either, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

Funny coincidence -- them Disneyana's hate being compared to Trekkies too!!

On 2003-10-01 13:55, PolynesianPop wrote:

Funny coincidence -- them Disneyana's hate being compared to Trekkies too!!

ah, will my fellow Trekkies and I forever be shunned by other pop culture junkies?

On 2003-10-01 13:55, PolynesianPop wrote:
I know I'm a passionate enthusiast of tiki myself and can totally relate to the article when it described how the Disneyana's pointed out the parts of the park that weren't part of "Walt's vision."

I can relate as well. I'm happy to point out how UPN's "Star Trek: Enterprise" has nothing whatsoever to do with "Gene's vision" for Star Trek.

M

Like they say, It's not polite to make fun of a subculture. :wink:

Here's to our livers!
:drink: :drink: :drink:

[ Edited by: makemake on 2003-10-01 18:58 ]

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:10 ]

H

Group hug!

Sob...sob...sob...

That's me in the photo and article from the LA Weekly.

I'm not sobbing over anything you folks here are saying (and I already received a very nice apology from ONE of you--thanks!), but I am sobbing over how sad it is that some people cannot accept the idea that people have secret (and not-so-secret) passions in life.

My entire life does not revolve around Disneyland. Just as, I trust everyone here doesn't spend every waking moment in Tiki-land. And yes, I get a little overboard--WHEN I AM WITH FELLOW ENTHUSIASTS.

Tiki fans? Hey--I am happy to bring Tiki stuff to share. And I enjoy seeing what you have or learning something new (Humuhumu gave me some timely info).

As far as my "ordering around" the Disneyland staff--I was unhappy that they weren't as prepared as they shoulda been. You Shag fans were SO NICE about the whole thing, though. Also--the Disneyland staffers there that day were mostly known to me. So just think of it as if you were "ordering around" the staff at your favorite Tiki Bar.

AND...don't believe everything you read in the papers! Frixample, I would never have dissed Trek fans. The "quote" I gave at the end...I never said. The entire article is filled with stuff like that. I knew that this would probably happen if I talked to a reporter--but hope springs eternal.

that reporter was a jerk anyway - he says right off the bat he doesn't like disneyland.
never trust anyone who doesn't like disneyland.

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:11 ]

BAD NEWS!

I just saw the new shipment of Tiki mugs at the Disneyana Shop. These are the open stock mugs ($10.50). As you will recall, they had rope detail around the base and handle.

Well... The new mugs are plain tan mugs! The same graphic details are transfer printed around the circumference. But other than that, there ain't nothin' Tiki about 'em!

I asked if they would get any more of the "rope" style mugs, and they said they didn't think so.

Don't get me wrong--they are nice looking mugs (and heavy, too). But they're not the same.

So hang onto your rope style open stock mugs.

S
SES posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2003 4:01 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 07:04 ]

Fellow TCers, If anyone is interested, I have two MEDIUM Shag Tiki Room 40th Anniv aloha shirts (brand new) that I will sell for what I paid for them ($58 + $11 ea. shipping from Disneyland) plus whatever it takes to ship to you. Pls email me directly if you're interested. Otherwise I will put on ebay this weekend. Thank you.

1. I got one of my back ordered items (goblet) today direct from Tiki Farm so they're on their way in case anyone's interested.

Thanks for update, still waiting for my stuff. Hopefully get 2day.

A

I got my two pole mugs yesterday.
A

LL

We were at Disneyland this weekend and saw that they still have some Shag Tiki Room stuff there. In the Adventureland Bazaar they had a table with the puzzles, boxed cards, neckcharms, mousepad, and the ropeless mug.

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies