Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Enchanted Tiki Room Anniverary Official Press Release

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies

Nobody answered the 10% off for pass holders question.
Does anyone know?
KuKuiNut does not want to get up if she does not have to.
Time is running out, run fast, jump, hurry??!!

HL

I'm sorry I kicked off the whole 6 a.m. thing. It's just that coming from Florida tonight, I'll be up way before then anyway, thanks to the magical 3 hour time difference. I didn't even know if you could walk up to the gates then when I originally posted.

As luck would have it, I talked to one of the fine guest services people and it turns out that the pedestrian gates to the esplinade(sp?) do in fact open at 6 a.m., so we can do it. Odd that the parking opens up later...

Chances are, since the lot doesn't open until 7:00, there's not going to be a whole lot of people (other than me) at 6:00. So if you want to show up a little later, it probably won't hurt anything.

Me, I'm getting there extra extra extra early because I want a crack at one of the original paintings. One is within the limit on my credit card, and if I'm going to pay 14% interest on something, it may as well be something good!

C

Good Luck Hot Lava!

Hope you get your choice!

HL

I just came back to drop off the stuff at the hotel -- what a morning!

No original for me (they were sold to the first 4 people in line), but the rest of the merch is very well done, very high quality stuff.

The line is still stretched down Main Street and wrapped in front the Opera House, and it's now 12:00.

Many TC'ers are there and we're all planning on hitting the Tiki Room at 3pm today to cause a rukus.

Shag made it on time and has been signing away like crazy. As it turns out, of the limited edition items had cards that were numbered and signed anyway. Nice guy, but what do you say to him?

I'm heading back to DL for some fun. See you tonight at the Hawaiian Room!

Very interesting morning at Disneyland. Meet one guy who came to the show from Japan! When the gates opened at 8:00 it was off to the races. Everyone was running so fast you would of thought that the Playboy Playmates were marching down Main Street Nude. Fun day for sure!

A

I had fun and got some cool stuff. Disney didn't handle the load of people very well which created a pretty slow moving line. The certainly weren't expecting the turnout that they got. The line didn't seem as bad as it should have because of all the nice folks I passed the time with.

Monkey Man - sorry I didn't call you again, I misplaced your number.
A

I second that. Couldn't have been a better bunch of people to stand in line with for hours and hours.
I went back again after the lines were gone and if anyone is interested, they're still taking orders on the goblets and there seemed to be some shirts and neck charms left as well!

Nice meeting everyone!

Aloha

I didn't get to make it to Disneyland that morning since I was at the airport picking up the wife, but I did hear later on that evening, at the Hawaiian Room, that it was just crazy the way people RAN after the gates opened.

It's a long shot, but, if anyone does want to sell one of the mugs and/or one of their bowls, please email me. Sure I don't mind paying an additional premium, since, after all, you did stand in line, but please make it a fair offer for both of us.
(Emspace, I now know how you feel.)

That said, I do hope that Disney makes a regular cup/glass/goblet/mug that will be available as a regular sale item at the Dole refreshment stand just outside The Tiki Room.

MB

Aloha,
Our dentist stopped by my shop on Saturday on the way back from Disneywierd. Funny, he wasn't sweating and mentioned nothing about running anywhere, yet scored everything. I don't know what the hell you people were doing.
:)

At around 5 the Disneyana shop was still selling the goblets, shirts, puzzles, mousepads, and necklaces(some other stuff too). Most of the people I was standing with were getting several copies of the print for various reasons. It was a fun time! Now if they could only use the profits to fix up the tiki room. Its pretty sad right now(ironic that hundreds of people showed up to shell out thousands for a ride that has been let go).

On 2003-09-21 11:55, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:

That said, I do hope that Disney makes a regular cup/glass/goblet/mug that will be available as a regular sale item at the Dole refreshment stand just outside The Tiki Room.

I think the Grog Cups're an open run, and my wife liked'em better than the Shag designed ones. They're very nautical with a ceramic rope-look handle & wrapping around the base. I think they'll be sold in the Disneyania store since the Dole stand doesn't open 'til noon.

Please Please Please can someone help a TikiGoon out?!? Anyone get an extra Tiki Pole Mug? I would gladly pay you for your effort.

BTW: Delivears still has Aloha shirts ($58), Petite prints ($15), puzzles, note cards ($12.95) and T-shirts left over. DelivEARS. 1-800-362-4533

[ Edited by: TikiGoon on 2003-09-22 12:15 ]

Just returned from a D-land trip this a.m. to see what was left after the dust settled. They still have about 2 dozen Shag aloha shirts (sizes s, med, a large in the display window, and a few XXL), womens t-shirts, a small supply of pendants, notecards, puzzles, and small prints left as reported by TikiGoon. The mugs and bowls were gone.

JT

My brother and me scoped out the arrangements on Friday and parked at the Disney Californian Resort at 5:30...made it to the gates by 5:45 where a crowd of 12-15 were there already. As fortune would have it...I was one of those idiots who ran as the gates opened and scored the Original Tiki room painting. My brother followed with the "Waking Jose" painting. I guess at least a TC'er has it instead of someone in Japan.
Regards to Hal...a fellow TC'er from Tampa whom I met while Shag signed items. We both travelled from Florida just for the event.

Nice score JaxTiki. I was there at 7:00 am and was only four back from one of the entrances. I had no intention of buying the original but did want a signed print. I managed to score one plus mugs thanks to the speed walking of Mrs. RockaTiki. Could you buy more than one original? I heard they were limiting the original to one per person.
What an event. Nice to finally meet some of the TC'ers and great chatting in line with HotLava & RockaTiki.

JT

Yes...only one original per person. I also bought two of the serigraphs which were #1 and #2. Seems almost unfair but that's the system they had set up. My brother bought two prints also..#3 and #4.

How many "originals" were there?

4 Different originals.

The originals were:

"Tangaroa""One Enchanted Evening"

"Tiki Room Aviary"

"Waking Jose"

Winner takes all!!!

M

I can't believe that we were in line at the Disney gates at 5:30 AM and there was already a restless crowd. The time passed quickly though as we exchanged stories with some very enthusiastic Shag/Tiki/Disney fans. By 8:00, when the gates were set to open there was a huge crowd. I thought it was all going to be orderly and everyone was going to play nice. However, when the gates opened, all hell broke loose! People were falling over each other, running like there was no tomorrow, and jockeying for position in the next line. I was 2nd through my turnstile, got there as quickly as possibly and was still about 40th in line at the Disneyana store.

Waited about 2 more hours just to get in to buy a print, mugs, and anything else we could get our paws on. Once inside we found out why it was so slow. To me they seemed pretty unprepared for the event. Many things could have been done to move things along faster (I'll spare you those details). I felt very sorry for the people that were 200/300/400+ deep in the line. They probably spent the entire day waiting without knowing if there would even be anything left when they got in.

On a positive note, all of the merchandise was incredibly cool! As we waited, I was wondering if it was really worth all this trouble...but now that I can sit back and admire our new treasures...yea, it was worth it.

It was an extremely unfair system that they had set up for the event. Disney dropped the ball in regards to organiziation and many people ended up getting screwed over. In the end, the final order of the line was determined by a combination of luck and ruthless behavior. I heard that Disney was used to dealing with fanatical crowds for other events. Apparently they underestimated this time.

It would also be nice if Disney might get a clue from this event's popularity and put a little TLC (a major refurbishment) into the Tiki Room itself. Anyway, it was nice spending time with quite a few new Tiki Central friends. Hope to see you all again at the next event!

ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: modmana on 2003-09-24 13:21 ]

C

Anyone get an extra Tiki Pole Mug or Goblet they'd like to trade for a Huki Huki 2003 Hukilau mug or a Mondo Tiki 2003 Mug (green or yellow)?? Just send me a private message if interested - Thanks!

When I called Disney DelivEARS, they said they'd be getting more stock in of the mugs that we'd be able to to order by calling Disney DelivEARS. Hope that's true! They didn't know timing, so weren't taking Wish List orders, yet.

Holden - any idea of timing??? Will it be more of both the Goblet & the Tiki Pole BOTH??

:drink:

I beleive that the "mugs" DelivEars spoke of would be the coffee mugs not the pole or goblet.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-09-22 18:15 ]

On 2003-09-22 14:58, BONBONVIC wrote:
Nice to finally meet some of the TC'ers and great chatting in line with HotLava & RockaTiki.

BONBONVIC is was nice meeting you and HOTLAVA, the wife and I never made it back, we ended up lounging by the pool. I hope we cross paths again, ALOHA.

Hi,
Disney sold out of the Enchanted Tiki Pole Mug & have 21 of the Goblet mugs up for grabs through their Ears Service.
Holden

Ditto on how the system was unfair. Only 300 prints and they let people buy two? I tried to tell the Disney lady outside but she was like a brainwashed zombie. Like many others have posted it was great to meet other TC members and others with like interests. Truth be told, I surveyed the crowd outside and thought to myself "damn, it's like a star trek convention" I meet a local lady in line and she was a damn fruitloop, pissing and bitching about the people who showed up late and ended up with the originals. Mark, if you read this thanks again for the ride to my car. Stop in for dinner sometime.

Wow,

What a weekend. It was great to meet so many people around the gates for those 2 hours before opening. After the rush we got split up and spent 3 hours chatting with new folks.
It would have been so much nicer to have had wristband distribution before the gates opened. I suspect the crowd would have been much more socialable once they were assured they could buy a serigraph.
We are back in Chicago and trying to catch up on work. Tonight I will post some of our crowd pictures with some narration

M

On 2003-09-22 22:39, smogbreather wrote:
Hi,
Disney sold out of the Enchanted Tiki Pole Mug & have 21 of the Goblet mugs up for grabs through their Ears Service.
Holden

FYI...Disney DelivEars doesn't seem to know about those 21 goblets. Called the moment they opened this morning and they say that they are not available and will never be available. As far as they know everything was sold out on Saturday. I even made the operator ask their manager and call the Disneyana store. They're gone...

C

Hey! They told me that too. No mugs, no goblets, nada.

Drat.

There's a wish list for the purse.

S

The purse is on backorder, they should be sent out in 2 weeks. The full amount that was ordered, was not delivered. The lady I spoke with said shirts, mouse pads, the prints for 15.00, notecards, and I'm not sure what else was available. She said they would be getting an update on inventory sometime this morning.

She also said (out of the blue)the tikifarm web site had very erroneous information. I didn't know what she was talking about.

T

Talked with DelivEars again this morning. They have T-shirts, puzzles, note cards, Petite prints some Aloha shirts and a wish list for purses. I asked about the goblets that are mentioned earlier in the thread. She said some misinformation leaked out on the internet. Oh well, I really didn't want the goblet half as bad as the Tiki Pole Mug. Looks like I will have to bend over and get one off Ebay.

On 2003-09-23 09:55, TikiGoon wrote:
...the Tiki Pole Mug. Looks like I will have to bend over and get one off Ebay.

I'm going to wait 30 years and see if I can find one at a garage sale or thrift store for $2. just gotta have patience.

-Z

I'm going to wait 30 years and see if I can find one at a garage sale or thrift store for $2. just gotta have patience.

Don't forget estate sales. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know my retirement planning doesn't allow for me to live much beyond 2033.

Alo-HA!

I've lurked around here for a while and finally decided to join in the fun. As you can see, I am a fan of Walt's Tiki Room--but love all things Tiki, as well.

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU! MAHALO! The Shag/Tiki Room event had the potential to be a big mess, but everyone made the best of it. When friends who did not attend asked me how it went, I told them that Tiki fans are the greatest people in the world!

I arrived just before 7:00 and found what I expected--about 40-50 people already spread across the turnstiles. I was disappointed to find that no preparations had been made for the crowd (I go to many Disneyland merchandising events). Apparently, they had no clue about the level of interest in Shag and the Tiki Room! (I polled those around me--it was about half Shag fans and half Tiki Room fans.)

Although I was fourth in MY line, I was about 40-50 back in the line for the shop (which means I was where I deserved to be). And I did get everything I wanted. AND I got to meet a lot of very nice people, out front and inside.

Long, long wait outside. Hot sun. Crowded shop. (Who didn't realize we should have had pre-order forms outside, hmm?) Slow registers. Separate line for the serigraph. Separate line for the signing. But everyone kept on smiling!

My main thanks are for two reasons:

1. Disneyland again got to see the POWER OF THE TIKI. They have so sadly neglected Walt's first Audio-Animatronic attraction for years. Saturday they realized that it is beloved by many.

2. Everyone was so nice-- but it was clear that the merchandising events organizers had again missed the mark.

Oh--and I also got to add Shag items to my collection! I have admired his work for some time, but restrict myself to Disneyland collectibles. So what could be sweeter?

See you at the Tiki Room!

DOUG

These picture can give a sense of the event. Not as fun as a gallery opening. Better than the day after Thanksgiving shopping though.

Calm crowd at 7AM

Frenzy before gates open

After the mad dash looking towards Disneyana (we were #'s 190 in line)

Looking towards the back of the line (note: the line curves around in the background)

Two of the originals (the others were wisked away by their owners after purchase)

K
kha_o posted on Wed, Sep 24, 2003 1:27 AM

The wife, kid (one of five children i saw in the Tiki line), and i just got to Northern Japan from Cali a few hours ago - what a trip!

Thanks to all the really nice folks we met and chatted with in line. i actually had two seperate nightmares the night before that everything would be sold out.

We scored a print for ourselves (and a friend in Seattle too lazy to take a short trip to Anaheim), Jamie (my son) got a picture taken with Mr. Agle, and i ended up with food poisoning that night, puking my guts out in the 5-star commode of Disney's Grand Californian.

All in all, a fun time - my wife was continually asked while in line what we were waiting for (she makes eye contact with strangers too often), it was interesting seeing the shock on people's faces that so many people would wait hours in line for a chance to buy Tiki Room stuff.

Hey, we stand up when Jose tells us to in the show, why not toss away our son's college tuition funds if we have the chance, right?

i'll post my son with Shag sometime when the stomach finally settles...

K
kha_o posted on Wed, Sep 24, 2003 1:28 AM

By the way... nice ears Sally!

Here is a better one Jay took of me contemplating why I am awake so early on a Saturday morning. At least I have my ears on. Wait....who is the other lady with the stunned look on her face? :wink:

[ Edited by: SallyandJay on 2003-09-24 09:36 ]

I

Hey all did you see the 2 guys that were 1 and 2 in line are selling one of the originals and mention the possible sale of the Serigraph original on Ebay. Who would think they came all the way from Florida just to make a quick buck? when so many other were the to buy an original to keep. It's too bad they worked out their money situation that morning in the shop and bought them.

T

Thanks for the post but that info has already been started on a thread here:

Tiki Central Forum Index » » Collecting Tiki » » $hag Tiki Room Original on eBay

H

I'm so glad I managed to haul my lazy ass out of bed to come out and do this event. I wasn't sure I was going to make it (Thursday my Mom & did a walking tour of Santa Monica & Venice Beach, a day my Mom will only now refer to as the "Santa Monica Death March," and all day Friday we did Disneyland, so I was dead pooped & my feet were already angry). It was worth it though. I got to meet a few new TCers (always a very, very cool thing), and I got to see a few others I hadn't seen during the rest of my week down there. Standing next to me in line were a couple of cool tikiphiles who are not hardcore TCers (one is a lurker [hello!], and the other I think had heard of it but didn't spend a lot of time here), and they were a lot of fun to while away the hours with. I actually didn't buy much, just a t-shirt, mini print and a purse, and I took advantage of my spot in line to snag a couple of extra mugs for Al & Shelly.

I got into line around 6:45 or so, and ended up being ~110 in line. I didn't get into the shop until 11am, which was scary as I had to leave at 11:30 for my flight back to Seattle -- I was very afraid I would have been there for 5 hours for nothing! But, as all things in Disneyland should, it worked out.

HL

It was great meeting everybody pre-opening that morning and others waiting in line to get the goods. Sorry we got seperated in the Tiki Room at 3:00 -- between trying to down my first Dole Whip (not knowing you could take it inside) and taking photos of everything including the bathroom floor, I ended up on the other side of the joint for the show and then last out the door. When Fritz said he was going to make you all dissapear, he wasn't kiding. Poof, you were gone!

Then I bagged out on the Hawaiian Room since I'd been up since 5:00am and on EST. I don't know how you guys from Japan pulled it off!

It was unbelievable to see a line continuing away from the shop at 2:00, 3:00, 4:00 -- I think it finally dispersed at 4:30 when I went to pick up my serigraph.

All of the goods were excellent, and I think I may have sort of, kind of said something intelligent to Shag (but probably not). The necklace would have made a great $5.00 item -- I still got 2 at $15, but other than that things were very fairly priced. My wife really likes the purse, so the Gods are with me.

Sunday I drove down to the Bali Hai for brunch with former co-workers and to get a Mr. Bali Hai mug. Who-hoo! The food and service barely scrapped by, but at least now I can say I've been, and I also got to see the famous Half Moon Hotel, and I picked up a Coke and an orange juice from Trader Mort's for the ride back to Aneheim, Three in one blow!

Shout outs to Larry & Mrs. Larry Lava, Humuhumu, Monkeyman, SallyandJay, spy-tiki, BONBONVIC, Rock-A-Tiki, Jax Tiki and anybody else I forgot for making a lonely traveller feel welcome.

Later in the day, rumor had it that the other paintings may be made available as prints also sold at Disneyland in the same fashion. If so, look out -- I'm coming back to Cali.

Oh, and what was up with that crazy 23-year old chick clutching the Stitch doll? Quite a few wack jobs in the crowd that day, besides me. :)

[ Edited by: Hot Lava on 2003-09-25 07:53 ]

I was glad to see that HumuHumu did get to shop in time to make that plane.

As of last night (Thursday), the following was in the Disneyana Shop:
Nine shirts (7s, 2m);
Many, many Tiki Charms;
Puzzles;
Mouse Pads;
Note Cards.

They told me that there were purses on back order. They also expect to get more mugs. I didn't ask about the mini-prints. They also said that waht was out was THE END of the shirts.

Oh, and what was up with that crazy 23-year old chick clutching the Stitch doll? Quite a few wack jobs in the crowd that day, besides me. :)

[ Edited by: Hot Lava on 2003-09-25 07:53 ]

Her? http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mattorkin/stitch.jpg

I took a picture of the first Tiki Room print Disney released a few years back. This is print of some original concept art for the Tiki Room. It was going to be a restaurant originally, then changed into a show concept.

Enjoy

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mattorkin/tiki_print.jpg

HL

Her? http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mattorkin/stitch.jpg

Oh yeah! She came over and started talking to someone near our group early in the morning. At first the doll thing was kind of a turn on. Then, after listening to her for awhile, it became clear that something was not quite right. No offense if any of you are friends of her's, she's nice, but sweetheart, take your meds.

Once we were in line, we realized we were stuck in front of this annoying chick talking about quiting her job at Disneyland because she didn't want to "lose the magic." My husband and I looked at eachother and were so annoyed because we had been talking to very nice, normal people outside the gate. Well, soon her friends turned on her and started talking to us. We ended up talking to the chick clutching the stitch doll. She seemed nice enough but as an adult you don't leave the house in the morning clutching a stitch doll. If you notice in the picture a person with Mickey ears - that was me. So yes, as a word of advice, never leave the house clutching a stuffed animal!!

On 2003-09-27 08:04, SallyandJay wrote:
Once we were in line, we realized we were stuck in front of this annoying chick talking about quiting her job at Disneyland because she didn't want to "lose the magic." My husband and I looked at eachother and were so annoyed because we had been talking to very nice, normal people outside the gate. Well, soon her friends turned on her and started talking to us. We ended up talking to the chick clutching the stitch doll. She seemed nice enough but as an adult you don't leave the house in the morning clutching a stitch doll. If you notice in the picture a person with Mickey ears - that was me. So yes, as a word of advice, never leave the house clutching a stuffed animal!!

Shame we weren't closer in line. The last thing I would have wanted was being close to a Disneyphile holding a Stitch doll.

Were you able to visit any other places in town that weekend?

Pages: 1 2 3 119 replies