Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 3-6-19 Pop & Exotica

Pages: 1 0 replies

DZ

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge March 6, 2019

On this Wednesday’s Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge radio show we once again delighted in the edifying artistry of Hawaiian, pop and exotica music in all of its glowing glory.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows from this year are now available to listen to in their entirety at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “Hawaiian Hula Eyes” was the song by Randy K. Oness and William Harbottle performed by The Brothers Cazimero on their1982 outstanding album also called: Hawaiian Hula Eyes. Some of the lyrics were classified during World War II because they referred to Lunga Bay on Guadalcanal. Featured are Robert Cazimero on Bass and Vocals and Roland Cazimero on 12-String Acoustic Guitar and Vocals, with guest artists Jon Osorio & The Gentlemen of Na Kamalei.

2. “Underneath the Coconut Tree” is the title song from the CD by Halau Hoomau I Ka Wai Ola O Hawai'i, the Hawaiian hula school located in Alexandria, Virginia. It was written by Manu Ikaika, who also appears on Vocal and Ukulele, with Gabby (Holokai) Gabonia on Vocal and Acoustic Guitar; Joshhua (Keola) Gabonia on Vocal, Guitar and Electric Bass; and Dwayne (Ikaikaloa) A. Strong Jr. on Ukulele.

3. “Tiki Tiki Puka” comes from the reticulated recording: I Found My Wahine by the Quebecois conglomeration: Le Mai Tai Orchestra under direction of Sir Christopher McLaren.

4. “My Sweet Gardenia Lei” comes from the copacetic compact disc: I Miss You, My Hawaii, by the female vocal trio Na Leo. The full name of the group – Na Leo Pilimehana – which means “voices blending together in warmth.” It consists of Angela Morales, Nalani Choy and Lehua Kalima Heine on Vocals.

5. “I Ka La'i O Lahaina” was composed by Kimo Armitage and Nathan Aweau, who also appears on Vocal and Electric Bass, appearing on the ample album titled: Maui by the duo called Hapa, with Barry Flanagan on Acoustic Guitars.

6. “Hawai'i Nocturne” is plucked with tongs from The Tikiyaki Orchestra’s scintillacious CD: Aloha, Baby! featuring Marty Lush on Vibes, Marty Gusek on Drums, Brian Kassan on Piano, Gary Brandin on Steel Guitar and Jonpaul Balak on Electric Bass.

7. “Appogiatura Exotica” by Robert Drasnin appears on his posthumous production: Voodoo III. Unfinished at the time of his death in 2015, he had requested that Skip Heller complete this work and turn it into a releasable album.

8. “Ka Wailele O Nu’uanu” was laid down by Ukulele master Benny Chong and appears on the cornucopious compilation: Legends of the Ukulele – Hawaiian Masters

9. “Caravan,” the 1936 Composition by Trombonist Juan Tizol and Duke Ellington, was waxed by The John Buzon Trio on their 1958 arsonists’ album: Inferno.

10. “Milk From the Coconut (Honey From The Bee)” was performed by the Morgan Brothers in 1959 and is drawn with swizzle sticks from the ample anthology: Soho Continental.

11. “Ping Pong” was recorded in 1959 by Bernie Green & His Orchestra and appears on the historical document: The History of Space Age Pop, Vol. 3: The Stereo Action Dimension, collecting stereo demonstration LP recordings.

12. “Girl Talk” was written by Neal Hefti and Bobby Troup for the 1966 movie: Harlow and performed as an instrumental by the guitarist Howard Roberts’ Quartet, featuring Pete Jolly on Hammond B-3 Organ, John Gray on Bass and Frank Capp on Drums. This was fondly found on the choleric collection: Ultra Lounge Volume 6: Rhapsodesia.

13. “Mai Tai” appears on Les Baxter’s 1963 sonic spectacular: The Soul of Drums.

14. “Pursuit” was composed by Elmer Bernstein for the 1959-60 TV series Johnny Staccato, starring John Cassavetes as a combination jazz musician and detective. The version appears on the bulging box set: Jazz on Film…Crime Jazz!

15. “A Night in Tunisia,” inked by Dizzy Gillespie and Frank Paparelli, appeared on the 1961 apt LP: Ada Lee Comes On!, arranged and conducted by Dick Hyman, and daringly derived from the spotted cat compilation: The Leopard Lounge.

16. “South Seas Sadie” was inked by Don McDiarmind and sung and played on Steel Guitar by Owana Salazar on her hot waxed work titled: Hula Jazz, with Kit Ebersbach on Piano, Noel Akimoto on Vibes and Drums; and Stephen Jones on Bass.

Pages: 1 0 replies