Name:Bali Hai Club
Type:other
Street:Streatham High Street, Streatham
City:London
State:
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Bali Hai Club was a resturant cum nightclub above the Silver Blades Ice rink in Streatham, South West London.

Streatham Ice Rink opened in 1931 and was instrumental in promoting Ice skating as a pastime in London.

In 1966 The Bali Ha'i opened above the ice rink, due to England's draconian licencing laws it was open until a racy 1 am.

The Bali Ha'I was also a popular venue for upmarket wedding receptions as this period film shows.

https://www.londonsscreenarchives.org.uk/title/19745/

In the 70s and 80s the Bali Ha'I was synonymous with Reggae music as it was home to one of the top-ranking sound systems in South London, Soferno B.

The Ice rink and club was demolished in 2011 but was thought to have closed some time before.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2019-06-04 13:15 ]

H

Very cool!! Love that interior!!

There is also some footage here:

https://www.londonsscreenarchives.org.uk/title/19745/

Bali Hai footage starts at the 5m15s mark with a lovely shot of the exterior.

My Mum used to frequent The Bali-Hi fairly often as she was from Streatham.
She remembers going with her friends after ice skating and loved the exotic décor and the music,(not reggae/ska at this time).
This was however, way before 1966, (was that a typo?) probably in the late 1950s or early sixties. In fact this place features a lot in an Edgar Wallace film: Ricochet! from 1963, you can see the décor, the bar and even the entrance stairs and sign, (sadly all in black and white). The Edgar Wallace films have had a re-run on UK TV 'Talking Pictures' channel and its worth a watch.
Trying to find out anything about this place, (from the armchair), is pretty difficult, so thanks Atomictonytiki!

Pages: 1 2 replies