Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hollowed-Out Pineapple Drinks & Photos

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hollowed-out pineapples can be spectacular when used to serve drinks to those who are unfamiliar with the technique. A few of my photos from a recent night are posted here, and hopefully others will follow and post their photos (and maybe some recipes too) in this thread.

Learn to use a pineapple coring tool. The plastic ones work just as well as the stainless steel versions. They cost less than $10 and most Walmart stores carry them year-round in their kitchen gadget section of the store.

These photos are of refreshing and tasty incarnations of the "Boo Loo" cocktail exactly as published by Jeff Berry in one of his books.

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2019-07-15 18:58 ]

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jul 16, 2019 7:58 PM

Thanks, Ace; You've inspired me to get a corer and hollow out my first pineapple....

On 2019-07-16 19:58, Hamo wrote:
Thanks, Ace; You've inspired me to get a corer and hollow out my first pineapple....

Excellent! Measure depth carefully before you start - to minimize the risk of piercing the bottom. Then if the core remains attached at the bottom (common with fresh pineapples versus those which sat for a week or so in your kitchen or bar) you again have to figure out a good way to cut or break off the core at the bottom without tearing a hole in the base. Or just leave 1/3 of the core at the bottom for safety... Buy an extra pineapple on your first attempt. I let my guests core one - they love it - and any mistakes simply mean that my drink will be poured into a snifter. No big deal...

Grill or pan-sear the rings with some brown sugar then cut into chunks and serve as a treat with toothpicks. Yeah baby!!!

Jeff’s recipe makes one full pineapple with 10% to 20% leftover for refills. Or it will almost fill a large snifter.

Have fun & post pics!

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2019-07-16 20:15 ]

MrBaliHai - Nice garnish!!

OK Ace, I tried an experiment a while back. I tried to make a Maori war canoe out of a pineapple by cutting it in half the other way and adding a pineapple prow. Didn't work out so well and was too flimsy to drink from :lol:

Bumboat
2 oz Pineapple Juice
1 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Cinnamon Syrup
1 oz Rye Whiskey
1 oz Light Rum
1 dash Almond Extract
6 drops Angostura Bitters
Float with 3/4 oz Lemon Hart or Hamilton 151

Yeah, a very good effort, Mike! A less ripe pineapple might be less flimsy, or carving out less pineapple may also help. The only time I’ve had a “canoe” style pineapple was at the Dole plantation on Oahu, and it was filled with pineapple chunks and topped with three huge towers of Dole Whip. I will have to test this myself sometime... Looks like a tasty recipe as well - I’ll bet the cinnamon syrup is a delightful little background flavor.

On 2019-07-16 20:09, AceExplorer wrote:

Measure depth carefully before you start - to minimize the risk of piercing the bottom. Then if the core remains attached at the bottom (common with fresh pineapples versus those which sat for a week or so in your kitchen or bar) you again have to figure out a good way to cut or break off the core at the bottom without tearing a hole in the base. Or just leave 1/3 of the core at the bottom for safety...

An easy trick to not cut too far into the pineapple is to put a rubber band around the corer and mark the spot where you'll need to stop turning.

To cut the leftover core, use a sharp knife and make a cut on either side to form a V shape and you'll get the majority of it out.

On 2019-07-18 21:42, MadDogMike wrote:
OK Ace, I tried an experiment a while back. I tried to make a Maori war canoe out of a pineapple by cutting it in half the other way and adding a pineapple prow. Didn't work out so well and was too flimsy to drink from :lol:

Oh man, this just makes me want Pineapple Fried Rice! My favorite Thai place serves it this way.

On 2019-07-18 19:45, AceExplorer wrote:
MrBaliHai - Nice garnish!!

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I got the idea from Matt Maranian's book "Pad: The Guide to Ultra-Living", so I'll give him the credit.

Don’t forget the food

:)

This is a really fun thread. Wendy

On 2019-07-16 19:58, Hamo wrote:

This thread inspired me to remember that I actually bought a brand new corer at Goodwill for $2 a few weeks back when stumbling home drunk from the Hotsy Totsy. Where the hell is that thing?!?!?

On 2019-07-23 10:05, HopeChest wrote:
This thread inspired me to remember that I actually bought a brand new corer at Goodwill for $2 a few weeks back when stumbling home drunk from the Hotsy Totsy. Where the hell is that thing?!?!?

Gotta find it, use it, and then post photos for us!!!

I’m looking forward to future posts here. Pineapples are large items, and when you deliver drinks in pineapples, you not only make an impression, but you get a great sense of accomplishment.

Pages: 1 13 replies