Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 9-11-19 Gershwin

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge September 11, 2019

On this week’s show we celebrated the natal debut of George Gershwin, who was born on September 26, 1898 and who died much too young in 1937 at the age of 39, but during his short span on this mortal coil he managed to create some of the most glorious music in both the known and unknown universes.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge show is broadcast every Wednesday, 5-6 pm Eastern Standard Time (2-3 pm on the West Coast and 10-11 GMT in Europe) at http://www.radiofairfax.org. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

Past shows from this year are now available to listen to in their entirety at: https://www.mixcloud.com/Flashfriend/

1. “Shall We Dance” was composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers movie of the same name and nominated for an Academy Award, taken from Fred Astaire -- The Great American Songbook.

2. “The Man I Love,” which George & Ira composed in 1924 and which was dropped from a number of their shows, sung here in 1939 by Dorothy Lamour on her sarong-laden CD: Queen of the Hollywood Islands.

3. George Gershwin’s “Prelude for Piano III” recorded by Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica on their 2013 crowd-financed album: Where Here Meets There, with Brian O’Neill (Mr. Ho) on Vibes and Percussion, Geni Skendo on Flute, Jason Davis on Bass and Shane Shanahan on Drums and Percussion.

4. “Mine” written by George & Ira for the 1933 Broadway musical: 'Let 'Em Eat Cake, in a duet between Bing Crosby and Judy Garland backed by Joseph J. Lilley & His Orchestra that was waxed in 1944 and taken from the bulging Box Set: Bing Crosby – Easy to Remember.

5. George & Ira’s “Embraceable You” from the 1930 Broadway Musical: Girl Crazy, where it was introduced by Ginger Rogers, and sung here during World War II by Carol Bruce, with Red Norvo on Vibes, found on the superlative CD: Red Norvo Small Bands -- The Complete V-Disc Recordings.

6. “A Foggy Day,” composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1937 movie: A Damsel in Distress by the band leader and arranger Bob Thompson from his 1958 LP: Just for Kicks.

7. The tune inked by George & Ira for the 1937 movie: The Goldwyn Follies: “I Was Doing All Right,” from the 1957 lively LP: Joy Bryan Sings, with the Marty Paich Septet, including Marty Paich on Arrangements and Piano, Jack Sheldon on Trumpet, Bob Enevoldsen on Trombone, Herb Geller on Alto Sax, Red Mitchell on Bass and Mel Lewis on Drums.

8. “Lady Be Good” which George and Ira wrote for the 1924 Broadway musical of the same name that starred Adele & Fred Astaire and Cliff “Ukulele Ike” Edwards, taken from the ambitious album recorded by conductor and arranger Matt Catingub titled: George Gershwin 100, with John Pizzarelli on Vocal and Electric Guitar and featuring Matt “The Big Kahuna” Catingub on Tenor Sax.

9. “I Got Rhythm,” composed by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1930 movie: Girl Crazy, performed for us by The Puppini Sisters on their starry-eyed CD: Hollywood, with Marcella Puppini, Kate Mullins and Stephanie O’Brien on Vocals and featuring Jan Shenoy on Alto Sax, Blake Wilner on Guitar, Ben Cummings on Trumpet, Henrik Jensen on Bass and Graham Fox on Drums.

10. The 1954 recording of “But Not for Me,” also written by George & Ira’s musical Girl Crazy, taken from the crisp collection: The Best of Chet Baker Sings, with Baker on Vocal and Trumpet, Russ Freeman on Piano and Carson Smith on Bass.

11. “Looking for a Boy,” by George & Ira Gershwin for the 1925 Broadway musical: Tip-Toes, sung by June Christy on her 1960 larrikinesque LP: Cool School, with Joe Castro’s Quartet featuring Howard Roberts on Guitar and Joe Castro on Piano.

12. The classic “Someone to Watch Over Me” composed in 1926 by George & Ira for the 1926 Broadway musical: Oh, Kay! from Frank Sinatra’s 1960 landmark LP: Nice 'N' Easy, arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle.

13. “'S Wonderful,” which George & Ira wrote for the 1927 Broadway musical: Funny Face & used in the 1957 movie version, sung by Julie London and found on the copious collection: The Essence of Jazz Vocals.

14. George & Ira’s “Nice Work If You Can Get It” from the 1937 Fred Astaire, George Burns & Gracie Allen movie: A Damsel in Distress, found on the Carmen McRae Supreme Jazz SACD, Live at Montreux, July 1982, with Marshall Otwell on Piano, John Leftwich on Bass, Donald Bailey on Drums.

15. “Bess, Oh Where's My Bess?” written by George Gershwin and DuBose Heyward for the 1935 musical theater piece: Porgy & Bess, performed by Sammy Davis Jr. on his 1963 LP: A Treasury of Golden Hits.

16. The George & Ira Gershwin song from the 1937 Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers Movie: Shall We Dance, “They Can't Take That Away From Me,” sung by Stacey Kent on her 1999 album: Let Yourself Go – Celebrating Fred Astaire, with David Newton on Piano, Colin Oxley on Guitar, Simon Thorpe on Bass and Steve Brown on Drums.

Pages: 1 0 replies