Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

"It's All About the Tiki"

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies

"It's all about the Tiki"...
is a tribute to the tiki works of local artists Shag, Von Franco & The Pizz debuting at La Luz de Jesus in Los Angeles on Saturday, Nov. 22nd and then moving to the M-Modern Gallery in Palm Springs on Sat., Nov. 29th. Limited edition 3-dimensional works by us here at Tiki Farm as well as original art by the artists will be available at the events and then subsequently online at Tiki Farm (www.tikifarm.com).

I've provided a photo of just a few of the many wax sculpts that will be produced in varying media (ceramic, figural blown glass, sterling silver & resin) for the event below...

...more info as it becomes available (the little fellow on the right is a pocket flask!)

Holden Westland
Tiki Farm
"Purveyors of Polynesian Pop Culture"
http://www.tikifarm.com

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2003-08-31 18:34 ]

This Gig, is going to be HAPPENING!!!

Who's going? (and who's not?!)

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2003-11-11 22:31 ]

Damnit! I hate it when this happens! I wish I could make this gig - it sounds wicked. But I'll be with the Bongs and the Kneppers at Humphrey's that same weekend:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6195&forum=4&4

I think I'll definitley have to go check this out

A

Holden,
Once again you have come up with some excellent stuff. Good luck on your event.
Mahalo,
Al

Oh my, I can't wait to go! Who else is going? Lets meet up...maybe we can hit the Purple Orchid after!

Does anybody know if these mugs, flask, etc. are going to be sold separately? And if so, what are the prices???

JT

Any photos of the Shag merchandise or jewelry?

Shag who? :wink:

Hi,
I'll have photos up over the next few days. We've worked hard to keep the prices very reasonable. Instead of going over the prices, I'll post photos and will include the prices with the photos. I'm hoping to do that by this weekend.

We have gone all out for this project and I think it shows. We've got some radical jewelry (Shag 1st edition sterling tiki charm bracelet - the charms are actual mini tiki mugs!), a giant 24" resin hand-stained cast mantletop outrigger complete w/the Big Kahuna (mug) & the 3 rowers (mugs) by Pizz, Von Franco's footed Artist series bowl which are his animated versions of each artist as tikis (on our splash page)... they're set up around the perimeter of the bowl with a tombstone effect. There are 37 new designs in all available in 14 different variations (some are sold individually, some as sets).

The Dynotones will be playing live and there will be a stocked bar.

BAMBOO BEN and I are heading up to La Luz tomorrow and the good reverend will be installing some radical decor and selling some of his new furnishings. Have any of you seen Ben's new designs... they're INSANE!!

The show's from 8pm to 11pm and on a special side note for anybody who knows the proprietor, Billy Shire. Billy's a notorious character and we are paying hommage to him at the show with the official debut of...
"THE BILLY BANK". The Billy Bank is sculpted by Squid and it's staring at me in my office as I write this and it's freaking me out! It will only be available at Wacko/Soap Plant so if you wanna get freaked out too, you can get one of your own!

After the shows' conclusions (La Luz 11/22 & M Modern 11/29) we will have a remaing allocated inventory of products available for sale online at the Farm (check out our site for more details). We're not posting any to eBay - never have... only Tiki Central folks & our opt-in email folks know about this.

So I'll be the neurotic guy in the background who will slip into a slight coma at the conclusion of the show should anybody want to find me and say hi! I hope to see a lot of you TC'ers there... Tiki Ti afterwards??? Just plant my face into a cocktail and I'll be ok.

H

I'll be in San Diego during the Palm Springs opening, but I should be able to make the La Luz event. Man, I've gotta figure out where the vintage shops are pronto, all my primo aloha gear is in storage!

TB

Will check with the mrs.(utopiandream) would love to go to.

Mr. and Mrs. Lava are going to the Palm Springs event. We will be in LA (mostly Disneyland) for Thanksgiving starting Wednesday evening but Saturday we are going to Palm Springs for the day. We have not been there since either of us were kids. Any suggestions for what to do before the show?

M Modern Gallery in Palm Springs has arranged for Senor Amor to spin exotica that evening (Saturday Nov. 29th) and are having the after party at the Callente Tropics hotel.

There will also be a limited edition serigraph from Von Franco entitled "Frankentiki" ($75.00), Serigraphs & Posters fromt the Pizz ($20.00 to $300.00) and a very limited quantity of the new Shag serigraph entitled "The Green Wahine" ($125.00).

This, like La Luz, will be a no host bar benefiting the Palm Springs Preservation Foundation with Beverage prices as follows:

$1.00 for Sodas
$2.00 for beers
$3.00 for wine

We hope you can make it to Palm Springs for this event in our newest gallery at 448 N. Palm Canyon Drive. Cherry Capri's show "Come for Sun Swim Fun" will be up for viewing at the other M Modern Gallery at 400 N. Palm Canyon (just down the street) that evening as well.

This should be a great time!

PS. Please note that it was agreed that Shag, Von Franco and the Pizz will only be signing merchandise purchased that evening. SHAG is to sign only two items per person. This is to ensure that the lines will move along and so that everyone has an opportunity to visit with the artists during the show. We do appreciate your cooperation in this.

Correction:
The Von Franco 150 piece limited edition serigraph is entitled "Frank en Tiki" and is a steal, in our opinion at $ 75.00 each.

I'll be there!

K

Holden,

Just saw the press release!!! Stuff looks completely off the chain amazing!

Scotty

Just waiting for the post of the pics (and prices). Man, I know this event is going to break the bank...well, I should say my credit card!

K

Atomic,

Check out the event info page at http://www.tikifarm.com. Some pix and all prices are posted.

Additional Merchandise - Just for the Palm Springs Show at M Modern Gallery:

"WALL of the PIZZ"

This is going to be 180 (yes, we did say 180) signed ORIGINAL DRAWINGS from the Pizz's personal collection available that evening with INCREDIBLE PRICING ranging from $100.00 through $300.00. There may never be a better opportunity to pick up an original Pizz Tiki drawing or other cool drawings by the Pizz. We're anticipating these will go fast and these are only available at M Modern Gallery in Palm Springs. Mark your calander for Saturday November 29th at M Modern Gallery. There will be a great party afterward at the CALLENTE TROPICS with the artists present.

We hope you can make it!

M

It's been a while... I DEFINATELY need a tiki fix...

I'm in!!!

Hi,
It's pedal to the metal - not much sleep but I don't mind. Shag is not happy with his dinnerware design and we're pullling it back from the show. I should have delivered blanks to him much ealier (we recently designed these very retro plate/cup/saucer/s&p designs - all new sculpts and they are so cool!!). He hit a block as he's buried right now. Hopefully/likely, out in Spring but I'll post more when it's getting close.
Holden

I'll be at the show, riding the coat tails of my famous bro-in-law Von Franco.

I too haven't done anything "tiki" in a while so I look forward to getting the fix.

Erich Troudt

B

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:05 ]

T

Hey Holden,

The new "All About the Tiki" stuff looks really cool! I have a few questions about it I hope you can answer.

Is the Pizz Outrigger real wood, hapa-wood or some other resin/material?

What are the approximate oz sizes of the Emperor and the Rower mugs?

What size are the "Night of the Tiki" mugs?

Thanks,

Tiki Goon

M

We'll be there, possibly with other TCers in tow. It should be a great event. Of course, every time I think I'm going to start concentrating my collection on "vintage" pieces, something cool and "new" like this comes up and snarfs up all of our "tiki budget". Curse you Holden for continually coming up with new products that I can't resist! :)

ModMana :drink:

On 2003-11-21 16:31, ModMana wrote:
... Of course, every time I think I'm going to start concentrating my collection on "vintage" pieces, something cool and "new" like this comes up and snarfs up all of our "tiki budget". Curse you Holden for continually coming up with new products that I can't resist! :)

That's so true! I'm having the same problem myself. Darn you, Holden, darn you straight to heck! :)

Just got back from Mr. Holden's Wild Ride (u-haul packed with tiki, and both of us on lack of sleep) for the show on Sat. at La Luz. This show is gonna kill! For those of you going we'll see you there. For those of you not, well, sorry you will miss out on another knotch in Tiki History. (carve up the Tiki mobile and be a part of that history!)Arrrrrrrrr!!!

Just came back from "It's All About the Tiki" and I must say I'm very disappointed and pissed off! First of all, I was approximately the 10th person in line. When they did let us in (30 minutes late) to purchase the mugs, we had to wait in another line. By the time it was my turn to order, I had been in line about two hours. So they took my order, gave me a sales slip, then told me I had to go to another line to pay. Then after I paid, I had to go back to the first line I was in to pick up the mugs I paid for, it was a real cluster f*ck. Then they tell me they don't even have any of the Shag mugs (that I just paid for) and that they will be shipped to me within 4 weeks! You have got to be kidding me!!! Then to top it off, when I got home, they charged me for five mugs an extra $30 (I only ordered four) and when I called the gallery they told me to come back (I live 50+ miles away) or call back tomorrow. Then as if it couldn't get any worse, when I opened my box that contained the bugeyed mug by Von Franco, where they eyes were hand painted, the paint was all smeared like they wrapped up the mug before the paint had dried. I thought this was going to be a party atmosphere and it wasn't, it was just a bunch of people waiting in line to buy mugs that were not even there! I left at almost 10pm and the Dynotones had not even played one song! Who organized this thing? Whoever it was, they need to be fired!

T

Same as Atomic, I myself wasn't too impressed with the organization of this event. All we did was wait in line in different stages throughout the store. The merchandising however looked exquisite and the displays were wonderful. I wasn't too impressed with the Shag bracelet when I first glimpsed it on Tiki Farms site but after seeing it in person, I had to have it. The piece is just "charming" and the packaging is marvelous.

As far as the Shag print, it looked great but it wasn't packaged very well. It's given to you rolled (not in a tube) but around red (?) tissue paper and then placed in a plastic bag. You sure as heck don't want that rolling around in your car loose on the drive home!

Rumor had it that the line to get in was wrapped around the building. Heaven forbid that someone would need to use the restroom.
All in all it was a fun time even though I didn't walk out of the store until 10pm and without half my merchandise because it would be mailed to me at a later date. Upon my exit I saw that there was still a line of people to the door. I felt so sorry for the people still standing in line because I knew at the rate the line was moving that they wouldn't get up to glimpse anything until midnight! It was frustrating to see the event so disorganzied however meeting new people and fellow TC'ers made it more bearable.

If I could sum the event up for those unable to attend....think of this event as the "Shag Disneyland event 2".

[ Edited by: tikichic on 2004-07-22 10:32 ]

I had a blast. I got there just as the line had kicked out the door. Looked up two minutes later, and it was around the corner.

Yeah the line was long, and the Shag print thing was screwey. BUT, the Dynatones kicked ass, the product was the utmost, and the Mai Tais are still wearing off. I guess the few I consumed made the delays seem less delaying.

Plus meeting more TC'ers was great.

Oh and the Mrs buying me the outrigger might have colored my interpretation of the event.

La Luz's layout doesn't seem to lend itself to a huge turnout. And this was a seemingly huge one.

I have a feeling they weren't expecting the size crowd that thet got.

But that might be the Mai Tais talking.

Did I mention the Mai Tais?

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

Edited for Mai Tai induced spelling corrections.

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2003-11-23 02:02 ]

As to the line, the wait, etc, I wasn't surprised in the least. In fact knowing about the Disney debacle, I was completley expecting to not be able to purchase anything I wanted. With a starting time of 8:00pm and an actual arrival time of 8:15, I was ure I was going to be concoling myself with some stock mugs from the shelves of Wacko while watching the lucky early birds walkng out with their treasures.

Given that Iwas with a group of fellow cynical friends, we had a blast. Long line? BAHHH! Let cynicism ease your pain.

Next time we all get together and sing Cumbaya ( death metal version! )

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2003-11-23 02:13 ]

Hummm, that's strange. There is an auction on ebay for the set of three shag mugs. They said they were one of the first in line at "It's All About the Tiki" where they got the mugs. Now how is that possible when they did not have the mugs at the event? An insider selling the mugs perhaps? Just food for thought.

On 2003-11-23 12:03, Atomicchick wrote:
Hummm, that's strange. There is an auction on ebay for the set of three shag mugs. They said they were one of the first in line at "It's All About the Tiki" where they got the mugs. Now how is that possible when they did not have the mugs at the event? An insider selling the mugs perhaps? Just food for thought.

Always possible, and completely expected. Maybe somebody nicked the dislpay copies.
Can't wait to see the amount of stuff on ebay. It'll probably be epic.
And depressing.

I still think the idea of an alternate unlimited glaze would be very cool for Shag stuff.

TG

The listing for the mugs is # 10. The mugs displayed at the event were # 12. The seller must have gotten them someother way. How sad, the people (like me) that truly want these items to add to our collection have to wait in line and are extremely lucky if we are able to make a purchase. But the people that want these items just to sell on ebay always seem to have a grip of them. I just find it odd...a little discouraging too.

On 2003-11-23 14:43, Atomicchick wrote:
The listing for the mugs is # 10. The mugs displayed at the event were # 12. The seller must have gotten them someother way. How sad, the people (like me) that truly want these items to add to our collection have to wait in line and are extremely lucky if we are able to make a purchase. But the people that want these items just to sell on ebay always seem to have a grip of them. I just find it odd...a little discouraging too.

Yeah I know. I do know that there were some of the Pizz Outriggers on hand. I saw two people carrying the huge box. By the time I got to the head of the line, it was; "we'll ship it to you" city.
Again, it would be nice if there were an alternate run so that people could get this stuff. I understand the clamour of the limited run, and how it is good marketing, but...

Since the event is moving on to palm springs, would it have been so difficult to have half the run of each iten on hand? Thereby ensuring that the folks in Palm Springs get some. But those who make it under the limit should be able to walk home with the product in hand.

I want recourse if the baffoons at the post office break that Outrigger, or the Shag three set I bought.

If I buy it, and drop it on the way home, I can live with that. But if I open up a box of ceramic shards, that will truly suck.

TG

MB

Atomicchick, can you post the link to the mugs, cause I can't find them. I only see that someone has a signed postcard for 40 or so bucks. Dunno.
All I do know is I had a blast, Ben had a blast and a well deserved release/relax time and I thought the show was killer.
Really cool meeting some new faces (to me) here on TC.
Aloha,
Mrs. Bamboo

D

Mrs. B I think this is it... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3255866362&category=29460

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-11-23 21:22 ]

Hey Holden,

Howsabout instead of shipping the mugs and outrigger to me, I swing by and pick 'em up?

You're socal based, correct?

Lemme know, I've had to much stuff destroyed or lost by the usps.

TG

Hey TikiGardener! Congrats on getting the outrigger. It was seriously calling my name, but I just couldn't afford it after the load of crap I already picked out. That thing is too cool looking!

Anyway, let me tell you about those guys at La Luz de Jesus. As some of you know, much of the Shag mugs (perhaps other things) were not in the store. So they wrote up separate tickets one for stuff they had in stock, and another for things that wasn't in stock. After they wrote you up, you were to proceed to the cashier (another line) to pay for you stuff, then go back to the first line (you could be expressed to the front by showing the receipt) and show them your receipt again. If they had what you wanted, they handed it to you. Sounds simple enough.

When I brought the receipt back, they guy looked at it and started giving me mugs I didn't buy. Being the honest guy I am, I said, "hey that's not what I ordered". He gave it a double take, and asked me what I ordered. I sighed and told him, and he gave me my stuff. He told me everything else would be shipped to me.

Then still being the nice honest person, I told him that their purchasing/paying system was flawed. People who asked for stuff that wasn't in stock could easily rip off the store by simply not paying after getting the order ticket written. The store had already written down the items and address, but wasn't noting whether or not the customer had paid. They were making the problem even worse by separating into two order forms for stuff they had on hand and stuff they didn't have on hand. The cashier recipts didn't correlate the order form, and it simply listed the items as "merchandise". I told him I could have walked out of the store without paying, no one would be the wiser, and the mugs would still come to me in the mail. My friend and I had to explain to the gentleman several time, while he had a vacant look on his face. After the fourth time, he showed some signs of life asking me in a confused voice, "what should I do?" I was a bit shocked that he was asking me how do his job. But I told him, "well if it were me, I'd just note on your copy of the order form that it was paid." By now, the others at the table were taking orders at full force, and could not be bothered going back to old orders to write paid. So the guy sheepishly gave up.

I'm not sure if anyone took advantage of this, or if La Luz de Jesus fixed their flaw before the end of the evening.

The event last night at Le Luz De Jesus was packed! It can be very difficult to anticipate the crowd for an event like this and to create a smooth flow. We went to their event to learn how to work our upcoming "It's All About the Tiki" show on Saturday. Since we had the advantage of learning from their show; hopefully, we can accommodate people in a fast and efficient way when the madness strikes. A few things to keep in mind about our event at M Modern Gallery:

-There is going to be a lot of parking in the lot right before you hit the gallery. If you miss the parking lot simply round the block and try again.
-We will have just one line with two cashiers that will write-up the order, take payment (all major credit cards and cash) and then hand you your merchandise.
-Once you purchase your merchandise you can take it over to the Pizz, Shag and Von Franco to get it signed.
-TikiFarm has said that all of the items at our show will be available that night! (this means no waiting for a delivery later).
-Serigraphs at the show (including the Green Wahine) will be placed in "Stay Flat" mailiers. Stay Flats mailers are pretty sturdy (suitable for storage) but we don't recommend shipping these.
-Get there early as our allotment of merchandise is about 1/2 of what La Luz De Jesus had available at their show.
-There are plenty of other cool shops, restaurants and salons within walking distance of the gallery as we are located on the main drag of DOWNTOWN Palm Canyon Drive.

-If you are coming in from out of town from the west (LA, Riverside, etc.) take the Hwy. 111 exit off of Hwy. 10 and follow it to Downtown (Hwy. 111 becomes North Palm Canyon Drive) and we are located at 448 N. Palm Canyon Drive (beginning of the Downtown area).

-Call the gallery if you need directions coming in from the East (ie. Arizona, NM, etc.) at 416-3611 prior to the night of the event as phones will be difficult to answer that evening.

-PLEASE DRIVE SAFE!

Wow, that's probably more than you wanted to read. Anyway, we hope to see all of you there!

On 2003-11-23 23:57, paranoid123 wrote:

When I brought the receipt back, they guy looked at it and started giving me mugs I didn't buy. Being the honest guy I am, I said, "hey that's not what I ordered". He gave it a double take, and asked me what I ordered. I sighed and told him, and he gave me my stuff. He told me everything else would be shipped to me.

If I hadn't had the presence of mind to ask why I had two receipts and one didn't have an address on it, I would have walked out thinking the process was done. I would've missed out on my Martin and Lewis mugs, and possibly on the three set I got, and the outrigger my wife bought for me. Which are still just notes on receipt paper. I hope they arrive safely.

Given what you've said, I hope I get them.

I had a great time, don't get me wrong. BUT, is it to much to ask to have the product on hand for the show?

I mean they had this big ass sign up stating that the artists would only sign items purchased in house on that night.

AND EXACTLY HOW IS THE PIZZ SIGNING MY OUTRIGGER?!? Maybe I could have gotten him to sign the receipt, and then taped it to the outrigger.

I saw people ( at least two ) with outrigger boxes. So some were there, and at least one set of Night Of The Tiki mugs were there, as we now see them on EBAY.

The more I think about it, the more I think the sales side of the night was screwed.

The atmosphere, the art, the music, and the drinks were great. But damn it, there has got to be a better way, simply have the product on hand at time of sale/show.

I really want my memories to remain good ones. But the more the Mai Tais wear off...

TG

Post script---- I must have hit the return line to get my product after you did, because the kid I dealt with was writing in very bold pen "PAID!" on my receipt.

Just have some registers back there, or at least a couple cash drawers. None of this back and forth crap.

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2003-11-24 01:00 ]

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2003-11-24 01:06 ]

Did I mention I was charged for an extra Martin mug? Yea, an extra $30 for nothing. Since the gallery isn't going to do anything about it, I sure hope that Holden makes this right and sends me the extra one. I have both my sales slips and my credit card receipt if there is any doubt.

On 2003-11-24 01:16, Atomicchick wrote:
Did I mention I was charged for an extra Martin mug? Yea, an extra $30 for nothing. Since the gallery isn't going to do anything about it, I sure hope that Holden makes this right and sends me the extra one. I have both my sales slips and my credit card receipt if there is any doubt.

KEEEEEEEE-RICED ON A BIKE.

TG

K

I was there and I gotta say I feel all your pain. I am not a TCer, but maybe I will become one. :) I went to this event for my friend in Washington (oh, what's your TC name again, Riff, I don't remember) to pick up a Shag print and wanted one for myself too since I had to drive all the way from Pasadena to be there. But they wouldn't sell me two, citing it was policy because too many people wanted to sell them on eBay. Soooooo, I had to get the bracelet instead, boo hoo, but the whole thing was so badly organized, I agree with you all. Funny thing is, it being in L.A., I was not surprised. Still it was an adventure. I would have liked to get my print signed for my friend but after I paid at the cash register, I then had to go back to the back to pick up my bracelet and they would not let me take my print back there....they said it would get crushed (that was probably true), but really, I did not even see Shag back there at that time anymore, how could I possibly have gotten him to sign it? I saw the big ass signs (there were more than one) too! Anyway, it was nice to share the evening with you all. I am a newbie tikicat, and I just love my bracelet!

Kittydoo

E

Welcome, Kittydoo! My first real recruit! Ok, ok....she posted on her own completely as a surprise to me, but I gave her the link, so partially responsible. There probably wasn't a lot of competition securing your name, eh? ::: snicker ::: Kdoo, you are now TC member #1448 whether you like it or not! ha ha! Now assimilate quietly. Did I tell you about Initiation? Yes, you are required to read every message that I've posted here (closing in on 100). Sorry. Tell us when you're done so we can proceed Phase II of Inititation. he he

Seriously though, many, MANY thanks to Kittydoo for going through what she did to get Green Wahine for me and my Tiki Room. This was a true act of kindness of her behalf, and I'm very excited to be getting my first-ever Shag serigraph! I'm so glad she found herself something while she was there...I love the highly-coveted Shag charm bracelet and it would have been #2 on my list had the wallet allowed for it.

Mahalo Tikicat--and again, welcome to Tiki Central!

[ Edited by: exoticat on 2003-11-24 02:23 ]

I really want that SHAG bracelet for my girl, can't make the shows. If any one has an extra or will get one at the next show, I have some great Tiki and SHAG to trade. Or will buy.
[email protected]

T

I just pulled up my ebay account and see that eBay pulled all of the Shag Wahine prints that were listed yesterday. Interesting....

M

I had a fun time at the La Luz gig...
Lines, Lines, going thru my mind...
But, whadda you expect.
La Luz is a store/ art gallery with a shit load of merchadise. You have to maintain some type of security and retail supervision.

I was mainly there to get the Von Franco "Smoken Joe" set. After I made the deal... I had a couple of maitai's, took in some Dynotone tunes, and had a blast.

It was nice to see the TC familia again.
Three Cheerz, :drink:

Whadda you think of Shag's new Shaggy Doo?

[ Edited by: mtkahuna on 2003-12-02 18:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 105 replies