Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Hi-Tide Recordings - modern surf and exotica music

Pages: 1 4 replies

R
rupe33 posted on Tue, May 3, 2022 5:33 PM

Not all the good music coming out of Freehold, NJ, is from the name "Bruce"! This is a thread celebrating the fine folks at Hi-Tide Recordings, flying the flag for surf and exotica these days.

If you have not heard of them before, here are a few of their artists you should check out:

• Surfrajettes and their debut LP "Roller Fink" ...and I'll note their "Party Line" single backed with their cover of Britney's "Toxic" is shockingly addictive!

• L'Exotighost: because you NEED exotica with a theremin! Check them out

• Los Tiki Phantoms: masked surf from Barcelona, you've got to hear their cover of "Take On Me"

There's always something new from Hi-Tide around the corner; definitely recommend subscribing to their email list and following them on the socials. Good people putting out good music.

Share some of your favorite Hi-Tide releases here in the thread!

Aloha, Rupe

[ Edited by rupe33 on 2022-05-03 17:33:26 ]

[ Edited by rupe33 on 2022-05-04 12:26:37 ]

[ Edited by rupe33 on 2022-05-04 12:27:12 ]

I've loved this label for some time now, and I think I stumbled onto them because they have some sort of link to The Tikiyaki Orchestra.

That's not their only California connection, though. Check out the new EP "Mai Tai in Hi-Fi" from Shorty's Swingin' Coconuts.

I also enjoy sippin' and relaxin' to the lovely strains of The Manakooras, and I believe that The Swingin' Palms played at The Hukilau in 2019.

I CHANT ignore Slowey & The Boats (sorry about that). These guys have two very impressive LPs, a Single and a wonderfully exotic Christmas LP, any and all of which are welcome in my Tiki Lounge (with seasonal restrictions, of course).

L'Exotighost is scheduled to release a new LP in a couple of days (May 6, 2022) and I've heard rumors that The Manakooras may be sneakin' something out soon as well.

Hi-Tide is a record label you won't regret keeping and eye (and Both of Your Ears) on.

[ Edited by Traitor Vic on 2022-05-04 10:10:37 ]

[ Edited by Traitor Vic on 2022-05-04 10:14:04 ]

[ Edited by Traitor Vic on 2022-05-04 10:18:43 ]

R
rupe33 posted on Mon, May 9, 2022 9:21 AM

Got word that physical media on the next L'Exotighost will be in the Fall of 2022.

Eagerly anticipating Manakooras and Surfrajettes in the meantime!!

Of course, both The Surfrajettes and The Manakooras are booked to appear at The Hukilau this year!

The Manakooras have posted two "Preview" tracks, from their new album "Jungle of Steel", to their Bandcamp Page.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, May 16, 2022 8:21 PM

I just came across this tasty cocktail by Justin Wojslaw meant to help bring attention to Hi-Tide Recordings:

Easy Tiki Drinks: A Tiki Drink Inspired by a Recording Studio? | Hi-Tide Boogie
https://youtu.be/LjZ_sB8GWe4

Pages: 1 4 replies