Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Pandemic Projects

Pages: 1 2 replies

Anybody get up to tiki-related projects during the (ongoing) pandemic, that wouldn't have happened otherwise?

We painted our garage door, inspired by an old mural advertising the Tonga Room here in SF:

01486979-A088-4E15-92C8-4BF4C665D3AB

[ Edited by Joshua Bell on 2022-05-19 16:27:12 ]

BB

Not having a space of my own at the time, my lockdown Era projects were mostly musical in nature (seen here), but I did get around to constructing some decent float lamps - even made a profit off of selling some to the neighbors once things calmed down!

20220511_211832

I did start work on an octave of Boo-Bams, or Chromatic Tympani. Lengths of tuned PVC pipe with rawhide heads tacked on. I got as far as the high and low Fs before winter '20 set in and it was too cold to work in the garage. I really should try to finish them soon.

BB

Finally getting around to rehanging the lamps I built during TC's dark days. Turns out that command strips and steam radiators don't play well together. (Woke up in the dead of a winter night to a massive crash to find broken glass everywhere...) Thankfully my landlord doesn't mind holes, so long as I use the right hardware and patch them when I move out!

20230708_215649

Pages: 1 2 replies