Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Tiki Show on YouTube

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hey everybody! Came across a series on YouTube called "The Tiki Show." ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVwvTqqIpi5eQi8s-ffvhvQ ) Anyone know why there hasn't been any more episodes? It was pretty good.

Halekulani Leif

[ Edited by Halekulani Leif on 2022-05-22 20:42:11 ]

Haven’t seen it, will look for it. Can you tell us more, like what you think makes it good? Thanks.

I have no insight, but having watched since they launched, my guess is that the production was too ambitious to be sustainable. I know how much effort my no-budget, one-man show A Moment of Tiki is to put together, and these guys were juggling multiple locations with various people involved. The cost of all those moving parts adds up, and coordinating schedules is a job unto itself.

I got a kick out of the show. They knew what they were doing. It'd great to see more episodes from them.

BB

Wow! Yeah, that's some high production value. Multiple interview cameras, on-location shoots, nice graphics. If it's a one-man show, that's a lot to handle.

Have you tried PM'ing the channel? They may just have burned out after a few months of heavy effort, or moved on to better paying work once things reopened this time last year!

H
Hamo posted on Mon, May 23, 2022 7:04 PM

I thought the episode on the Tonga Hut was especially well-done (in fact, I've been meaning to post a link to it on the Tonga Hut thread, so thanks for the reminder). Maybe he just decided to go out on a high note?

I

I've thoroughly enjoyed every episode they released. And +1 on that Tonga Hut episode. And the Wahtiki Hong Kong video is incredible.

Hoping somebody involved in that show at least lurks here. I hope they come back.

If you look at the messaging from Spike about the Breezeway Cocktail Hour, it has also grown from a fun project during quarantine to a really "heavy lift" effort for him... he enjoys it and keeps going, but I could see how it would just be unmaintainable. Likewise, I love the Distinguished Spirits videos, but I think that guy kind of ran out of inspiration / things to say. So there are not many updates there. Keeping a show going can be hard.

Spike and I launched our respective shows around the same time. I was simply gobsmacked by his rate of production. I figured out early on that publishing new episodes on a weekly basis would likely kill me in short order. Even biweekly was a heavy lift. I have no idea how Spike manages it--especially coordinating all the guests he brings in!

CA

i'm happy to known Jim from a few Hukilau experiences.... he is a pro! Awesome Guy https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4768746/

this looks to be a series of pro 'Sizzle Reels' or shorts or pitches to land a TV Pilot... then a real Show! My guess is there where no takers?? But maybe i should just ask Jim....? LOL

anyway BamBoo Ben had an Animal Planet producer try his hand at a Tiki 'Remodel Show' pitch. Spike's Breeze Way!! was actually created for (i think) the first or second reel...?!? i'm no historian...

Anyways the third try was Myself, MeduSirena and Ben shooting in Tampa! the production home base... All this 10 years ago... pre YouTube crazyiness with 1000's(?) of self produced mimi shows.... no takers from the TV world back then.... somethings never change??

Yes! the Bamboo Ben show at Spike's Breeze Way, that was a fun day/night to bad it never went to series.

[ Edited by captaincutler on 2022-05-28 21:41:56 ]

It’s my show.

Two friends and I did it with zero budget. I think it cost $1000 total. That doesn’t count our free labor.

We couldn’t get anyone interested and we can’t work for free, so that’s where she sits.

[ Edited by ProfJasMStacy on 2022-05-29 09:13:36 ]

Dude, that’s fair. For what it’s worth, my wife and I absolutely love it. Thanks so much for making these! I’m sorry that no one picked it up. While it may seem that it was in vain, there are many of us who loved these episodes. Wonderful job!

ProfJasMStacy, it's a shame you had no sponsorship or funding interest. But for what it's worth, a giant thank you for the content you produced and the entertainment and information. It was awesome while it lasted. Very impressive show.

[ Edited by Iolani on 2022-05-30 09:56:34 ]

Thanks for what you put together and left for us, Prof, even though it hasn't led to anything more for you. Again, the Tonga Hut video is really incredible.

H
Hamo posted on Sat, May 13, 2023 10:59 PM

I was happy to stumble across the fact that several new episodes of the Tiki Show featuring Shannon Mustipher and Garret Richard have been posted in the past six months. They are very well done.

Pages: 1 15 replies