Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

latitude 20 mugs and memorabilia

Pages: 1 4 replies

i remeber latitude 20 in torrance california...they used to have lively tahitian hula,samoan fire dancers and other polynesian shows and spectacles.i've occasionally acquired some of their mugs which have hula girls on the side of a tall convex mug that looks like a coiled basket!it is very.....tiki!

DZ

I lived (and actually still live) just up the street from the L-20 growing up. My folks used to take me there as a kid, but alas, it was gone before I was old enough to really appreciate it. I currently have 8 different mugs from the L-20 (including the 'palm tree-shaped hula girl'), and a few albums recorded there, but as of yet, no one I'm aware of has come up with anything paper - menus, postcards, etc.! Sabu has quite a few paper items from its earlier incarnation as "The Polynesian", but no mugs or glassware.

ElDorado, there are a bunch of TC'ers in the South Bay area; if you're still there, let me know and we'll meet up some time!

Here's my matchbook...

DZ

BK-- While it's a definitely a great cover (I think Sabu has one), I'm afraid that matchbook is a different Latitude 20. The one in Torrance, CA was owned/run by a guy named Hop Louie, and is rumored to have been Bob & Leroy's (of OA) favorite hangout of all the places they furnished in Southern CA; Sabu knows the whole story... From what I understand, Tommy Lee's "Latitude 20" was the name of the bar at his famous "Islander" bar/resto in Stockton, CA. (kinda like the way the Mai Kai has 'The Molokai Bar'...)

Oh, well....I'll bump it off the "Top 200" of my tiki matchbook collection...thanks for the info, though. That Tommy Lee must be a vampire...all that Tiki culture, Motley Crue, and then Pam Anderson... :)

Pages: 1 4 replies