Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

TROPICAL STANDARD book by Garrett Richard & Ben Schaffer

Pages: 1 7 replies

H

Starting to make my way through reading TROPICAL STANDARD

https://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Standard-Cocktail-Techniques-Reinvented/dp/1682687155

Initial thoughts:

A. Fascinating convergence of The Cocktail Movement and Tiki Post-Revival.

B. Extremely well written and researched.

C. Most recipes are really kind-of "next level" as far as complexity. Requires multiple types of specific book-specific syrups, acid-adjusted juices etc. Basically Advanced Food Chemistry...which is all part of the fun, in my opinion (just be prepared to buy stuff from Amazon).

D. Can't wait to try their take on Tiki-Ti and Mai-Kai Recipes. They sound spectacular.

E. Book BARELY mentions the word "tiki"...which I found a little odd. I guess thats not the proper nomenclature anymore?

[ Edited by Hearn on 2023-05-29 12:17:00 ]

I've heard good things about this book

H
Hearn posted on Mon, May 29, 2023 1:11 PM

It is extremely interesting. Can't wait to try some of these techniques.

[ Edited by Hearn on 2023-05-29 13:11:34 ]

S

It's a lot to go through. Impressed so far. Making acid-adjusted juice isn't hard, but stuff like Oleo-Saccharum or some of the other special ingredients takes a bit of preparation ahead of time. While I think it is crucial to preserve and keep making the original tiki recipes, I think it is also important to experiment, innovate, and move them forward. A welcome addition to the canon.

Made the Incantation, his take on the Black Magic from the Mai Kai

6AE0571B-A102-43B7-A88C-FE838D782F0E_1_102_a

[ Edited by Savory on 2023-05-30 12:41:53 ]

H
Hearn posted on Tue, May 30, 2023 1:13 PM

How was it?

Yeah, I saw the Ray's Mistake mentioned somewhere and got very interested.

It's on my Amazon wish list, and there's about a month until my birthday, if anyone was wondering....

I've made the (2) syrups for their Ray's Mystique* (Pineapple Gum Syrup & Sandalwood Vanilla Syrup)

Gonna take for a test drive this weekend.

(I was just at Tiki-Ti last week...so flavors are fresh in my mind-palate)

Pages: 1 7 replies