Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

GROG back to slinging mud

Pages: 1 10 replies

GROG need to finish glazing mugs, but GROG not use kiln in such a long time, GROG need to do a bisque fire first to burn out any dust and particles that don't get sucked out when GROG vacuum the inside. So, GROG had to do some greenware to fire first. Last week's work. Some Moai mugs and some Moai bowls.100_6443100_6445100_6446100_6448

GROG need to put some underglaze on some of these before the fire. All of these are cleaned up except one Moai mug.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2023-06-10 22:52:37 ]

Go Groggy Go!

Looks great!

GROG, The last time I saw such condescending Moais....

I made them

Good job.

always great to see some Grog action.

Thanks guys. I enjoy making bowls. I hope these come out well and don't blow up in the kiln. One of the bowls is very likely to blow up, so I've got to candle the heck out of these guys before I ramp up the firing. Candling is when you turn on the kiln and heat it to below the temperature that water turns to steam, so that you can get all the water out of the clay so it won't burst when you turn the heat up.

[ Edited by ernimator on 2023-06-11 21:29:51 ]

Wow, I never tried that technique. Fingers crossed that all of your wonderful tiki art survives.

How about THIS technique? I put underglaze on my greenware before I do the bisque fire, especially if I need a base color if I'm going to do a wipe or if I want to make sure certain colors don't run, like Tiki Bob's eyes. Seemed like you always did a bisque fire before adding color. With underglaze, you can put it on greenware as well as bisque.

100_6449100_6450

I like that technique too, maybe I learned it from you? Sometimes underglazes are hard to tell if you have good coverage. After the bisque fire you can get it wet and see how your coverage is before putting on a clear glaze. You just have to be careful handling greenware because it's very fragile.

OGR

Looking Great Grog!

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jun 13, 2023 8:49 PM

GROG! What precipitated this sudden urge to work on clay (which you hate yet are so good at)? And will you include a leopard-fezed monkey that I can take off your hand at Tiki Oasis...?

I don't hate working on clay. I hate glazing. Needed to get back to ceramics to finish off the last of those damned dirty ape mugs. The leopard fezzed ones. Needed to do a bisque fire before doing a glaze fire, so had to start slinging mud.

Pages: 1 10 replies