Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Oceanic Arts still open for walk-ins (as of July 2023)

Pages: 1 0 replies

I couldn’t find a thread for their closeout sale so I’m starting one because I just got home from Oceanic Arts with a carload of stuff.

Of course they had their closing auction, then a second closing auction. Then on June 10, they reopened for three days of sales to clear out the rest. I got there 10 minute before opening, waited in line for two hours, then got inside and saw the checkout line to buy anything was another two hours. I didn’t have that kind of time (I had brought a friend along and his patience was wearing thin) so I bailed. But they keep posting on Instagram about things still being available, and advertising that they’re open on Thursdays.

Well they’re actually open M-F 10-4, at least for the next month. (Though they recommend calling first) Of course pickings are thin but I grabbed some bamboo fencing/wall covering that I wanted to cover an exposed (outdoor) wall. Normally $90 a roll but marked down to $30. I grabbed 30 feet of split bamboo for $10 and some other items. They still had a lot of thatch for a roof or umbrella project. There was some cheap-looking stuff, tiki torches, lobster floats (?), old tools, and other miscellany. No tikis or lamps at all (they had sold the last puffer lamp that morning dammit!) But mostly it was nice to shop there one last time, see Bob, get a receipt with the OA logo on it, and come home with some gear to make my tiki bar cooler.

I got in a conversation with someone to ask, why has no one bought the business? Just the name and the contacts to order pufferfish lamps, float lamps, and the other quality stuff they were known for. He said there is a woman in Monterey Park who wants to open something like that, and this guy (didn’t get his name but he knew the suppliers) might help her get started. He also said that LA Port fees had gotten much higher since COVID, Dept of Agriculture inspections on pufferfish and bamboo had made them very expensive. But judging by the four-hour line, I think there’s still a market.

Anyway, good hunting!

Pages: 1 0 replies