Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Officiall Southern California Hoity Toity Tiki Crawl IV

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

UB

Hello TCers,
I did a search with no luck.
I was wondering if there are any set dates in the next year, for a California Tiki Crawl. Thanks!
Just Wondering,
Unga
Addendum:
To those who are confused, this thread was originally titled;” Any CA Tiki Crawl Coming Up?"
Well SugarCaddyDaddy, at your advice of changing the post title, I would like to say' "HERE WE COME TIKI BABY! I'll be there!
I can feel the hang over now.

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-09-14 10:12 ]

T

Well, I was thinking that we've had quite an Augusto of Tiki. So, I'm thinking about, pondering the possibility, contemplating the arranging of, a So Cali Tiki Crawl in, say... October, November or December.

Maybe we could combine it into a Tiki Halloween, a Tiki Thanksgiving, or a Tiki X Mas.

What do you all think?

M

Watch for more Northern California events after October. Plans are afoot!

T
thejab posted on Tue, Sep 9, 2003 5:12 PM

On 2003-09-09 16:38, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Well, I was thinking that we've had quite an Augusto of Tiki. So, I'm thinking about, pondering the possibility, contemplating the arranging of, a So Cali Tiki Crawl in, say... October, November or December.

Aloha friends! I'm back from my road trip after 2 weeks and 4000 miles on two-lane blacktop! I have pictures from Exotica and my road trip to post but I just got in late Sunday night, a little weary from too much road food and too many soft motel beds. But we had a blast, ate some great meals, saw lots of scenery and wildlife, and had some pretty good thrift shopping.

Next up is a Mexico road trip! I'm going to a wedding in Baja in October and spending a few days in So Cal afterwards. Me, Robin, and Jeff are on the following schedule:

In San Diego at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn on Oct. 13-15 (Mon-Wed) - we plan to visit all the usual tiki haunts and bars.

Laguna Beach on Oct. 16th. (Thurs) - Royal Hawaiian and staying in LB.

Huntington Beach on Oct. 17th (Fri) - Bamboo Ben's and Sam's for the show. Staying at motel on beach near Sam's.

Los Angeles on Saturday - The Galley and Trader Vic's in the afternoon, Tiki Ti at 6PM, and who knows?

Hopefully we can meet with as many TC folks as possible and perhaps join in on a crawl if it happens at that time.

T

Jab,

I'm not sure if Sam's has their show in October? They might, but I thought it was a Summer thing (I'll check with Tommy at Sam's).

Regardless, we'll plan something when you're all down here.

Post when the time is near.

Aloha

UB

That Tiki Halloween crawl idea sounds like a winner!

Huntington Beach on Oct. 17th (Fri) - Bamboo Ben's and Sam's for the show.

Maybe we could get the "Smokin Menehunes" to do a afternoon "Happy Hour" this day. If Sam's is down, "Happy Hour" turns into "Happy All-Nighter!!" Just a thought.

p.s. whats that bus name again??

p.s.s. o.c. mini crawl 3 all over again!!

Ben,

We'd dig playing but I'll have to see if the other band members can skip out of work that day. I got an appointment at noon that day for some more inking over at HB Tattoo.

If not, we can still maybe play at your place around 6:00 then head on our way to bus-bound liver destruction.

We should mob Billy's at the Beach again!

(Trick or Treat, Smell my Feet, Give me Something Good to Drink...)

This one is not gonna escape me.

Unga Bunga~
This is how the crawls get started! How did you know that all you had to do was ask?

Like Chiki, I can't let this one get away from me either. I was there at the beginning of the last crawl (at Bamboo Ben), but could not actually make the trip on the bus since I had 2 sick girls at home to take care of and had to get back home.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but it may have looked quite sad as I stood there all alone on the sidewalk waving goodbye to JohnnieVelour as the bus pulled away. Never again I say, never again!

Bong and/or PolyPop may need to start a brand new thread or U.B. may need to edit the title to this thread since I'm sure this will turn into the official Southern California Hoity Toity Tiki Crawl IV thread.

Hey, another OC Tiki Crawl would be cool! I'll be back with my Conch Shell in tow.

T

On 2003-09-10 00:07, RevBambooBen wrote:

Huntington Beach on Oct. 17th (Fri) - Bamboo Ben's and Sam's for the show.

Maybe we could get the "Smokin Menehunes" to do a afternoon "Happy Hour" this day. If Sam's is down, "Happy Hour" turns into "Happy All-Nighter!!" Just a thought.

According to Sam's website they have shows through November:

http://www.samsseafood.com/show.htm

Did you hoity-toitys ever get together and see the show (as a large group)? I remember a discussion about it some time ago. Perhaps Oct. 17th. would be a good night to do that. I'm seeing the show in any case because I have been wanting to since I first went to Sam's. But the more the merrier!

On 2003-09-10 09:59, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Unga Bunga~
This is how the crawls get started! How did you know that all you had to do was ask?

Like Chiki, I can't let this one get away from me either. I was there at the beginning of the last crawl (at Bamboo Ben), but could not actually make the trip on the bus since I had 2 sick girls at home to take care of and had to get back home.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but it may have looked quite sad as I stood there all alone on the sidewalk waving goodbye to JohnnieVelour as the bus pulled away. Never again I say, never again!

Bong and/or PolyPop may need to start a brand new thread or U.B. may need to edit the title to this thread since I'm sure this will turn into the official Southern California Hoity Toity Tiki Crawl IV thread.

Addendum:
Well SugarCaddyDaddy, at your advice of changing the post title, I would like to say' "HERE WE COME TIKI BABY! I'll be there!
I can feel the hang over now.

Well what direction should we take this gig folks? Should we do a traditional tiki crawl (music, food, drink at Ben's shop, take bus all over hell's half acre of tiki bars) or do Sam's Show?

Doesn't matter to me, but if we do Sam's show we'll all need to get our reservations in order ASAP as it sells out fast!

Let me know what you think, because last time we waited so long to decide that Sam's was sold out.

T

I called Sam's and there are still plenty of tables left as most people don't reserve until at most 2 weeks before. I reserved a table for 3 for now. They said that we have a real good table (close to the stage?) because we booked early.

Perhaps if anyone wants to join us they could book their table as early as possible and then when the date gets closer we could see how many we have and call Sam's to see how they can accomodate us (as one large table or several small ones). That way we won't have someone being resposible for a large reservation on their credit card.

If folks would rather do a crawl type thing maybe it could start at Sam's post show?

A

This would be very appropriate since Oct 18th is my birthday. Sounds like fun.
A

M

Count us in for this! Unfortunately we missed the previous crawls and are feeling the need to explore uncharted (for us) tiki territory. Let's go!

ModMana :drink:

Jab Don't Read This!!!!!!!

I say we do a crawl!
We can pretend we are going to the dinner show and kidnap the Jab and his others.!!! Anyone got a gunny sack and duct tape??

DZ

I agree with Ben and say we do just the crawl and save the Sam's show for a different date. "Crawls" tend to lend themselves to more and more disorder the later the night goes, and trying to get a busful of crawlin' drunks to a certain place by a certain time, where they'll need to sit still and be quiet and respectful, well... I don't really see it happening.

What about moving the Crawl to a Saturday like last time (the 18th?) That way nobody would have to take off work early to rush for the bus - and the Smokin' Menehune's can play - and folks can still hit Sam's the night before! I'm more than happy to spend the evening at just Sam's (and I have yet to see the show!)

I really like the way OCTC III flowed, using Ben's (or is that "Ben"?) as both the starting and ending place ('Dub Side of the Moon' and leftovers - yessss!), and with convenient lodging across the street, something similar for OCTC IV would be my vote.

Oh, anybody for trying Billy's again? I need another glass...

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2003-09-11 09:17 ]

Shit! I'm confused.

Should we do the old fashioned all American Tiki Crawl instead of Sam's Show?

Ben, can we use you place for a launching pad?

I can check with the other Menehunes to see if they're available (I'm sure the drunkards are).

T

Shoot, if you wanna do the crawl on Saturday I may miss it because the Tiki Ti is an absolute must visit this trip - my buddy Jeff has never been there. We plan on going there on Saturday the 18th. at 6 (after visiting Trader Vic's) and stay nearby so I don't have to drive after.

_ _
/
/
/
_

[ Edited by: thejab on 2003-09-11 11:41 ]

Jab,

I know you're concerned about your No Cali bruddahs and sistahs finding out you went on a So Cali Tiki Crawl and had a freaking great time!

(shhhhhh. We promise not to let them know! What da ya think?)

T

On 2003-09-11 12:16, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Jab,

I know you're concerned about your No Cali bruddahs and sistahs finding out you went on a So Cali Tiki Crawl and had a freaking great time!

(shhhhhh. We promise not to let them know! What da ya think?)

No wonder mrsmiley was so quiet about his last visit to hoity-toity land!

I'm easy - we can rearrange our plan.

Oh no! I won't be down there until early November, I'm gonna miss this one. I've got my outfits lined up & ready for the Hoiti Toiti holiday season, though.

MB

Yes, Bong, you are all welcome to use MY store as a launching pad :)
Let's do this deal. Sounds like a blast and Saturday would probably be better for most peeps.
Cocktails, pupus and fabulous entertainment by the every-so Smokin Menehunes at 4:00'ish. Bus takes of at 5:30'ish.....hey can we work with Jab and maybe go north? Royal Hawaiian is awesome, but by intelligent majority vote, Billy's BITES! Why give them the business unless we can all steal at least a set of 6 glasses, but I think they might figure that out....hmmm, but maybe not. Going north is just a thought. Sam's joint for a nightcap? Back to Bamboo Ben to munch the leftovers. Ben better build a couple more beds for the store floor...last time I hogged the only one in stock....zzzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZ.
Saturday October 18th.....we ride.
Aloha,
Mrs. Boo
(Unga, let's get that name straight if you join :) Looking forward to meeting you)
Holden...NO pushing!

Saturday the 18th is the same day as the Uke Festival, too.

(Unga, let's get that name straight if you join :) Looking forward to meeting you)
Holden...NO pushing!

Hi Mrs. B,
Looking forward to meeting you too.
Sounds like the tiki energy is gonna be in this crawl. Unga There!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-09-11 23:50 ]

Hey folks, I've never let you down (well, only pissed a few, well, quite a few off) but, I can't do October 18th. Now this doesn't mean of course someone else can't do it, but I've got a family gig that cannot be passed up. Family first.

However, I would like to suggest the first week in December for a crawl!

I also am making reservations for the Friday night show at Sam's if anyone else besides the Jab is interested in going.

Thanks for understanding

Mr Tiki - slacker - Bong

Sadly, I too will miss this one. No Hoiti Toiti stuff for me until November or December. :(

maybe an l.a. crawl needs to happen at some point?
tiki ti - lava lounge - traer vics

i'd suggest adding valley crawl - but there's just damon's and tonga hut thataway? unless i am forgetting someplace?

If the crawl can happen after halloween then I definitely am in. I will need to spend most of my time in October fabricating all the props for my Peter Pan halloween party.

I would really like to participate in one of these crawls

MB

ALOHA!
No, no, no we never fade. We'll just play around with the date. The crawl can't happen unless we have our bong...so we spark up another weekend.
LIVE ALOHA!

Maybe the Crawl could be kept on the burner until a more agreeable future date. The Uke Festival sounds like a great replacement event for a Hoity Toity gathering.
:drink: Aloha!

Let's plan the first Saturday in December as the date for the next (big music!) OC Tiki Crawl 4.6

I envision something like this: meet at Bamboo Ben's shop around 5:00; munch on some ono grind, drink some kine tropical libations; Smokin' Menehunes play for an hour or so (any other entertainers welcome); board the bus to all tiki points South of Beach Blvd; enjoy ourselves at Royal Hawaiian for a hour or so; next stop - Billy's by the Beach - order a shit load of drinks and appetizers then split before they come!; Duke's for a drink or two; then end the evening at the So Cali Hoity Toity Clubhouse - Sam's Seafood.

Ah, I can feel the stroke-like hangover headache already. Man, life is good in America!

Who's in?

Mele Kalikimaka?

I've missed the previous crawls, but have heard the stories, so count me in! I'm looking forward to crawling, stumbling and/or staggering. It’s all good, baby.

It would be kind of fun to have a bus full of Tiki-ites decked out in Halloween garb to either frighten or delight the masses.

Halloween is on a Friday this year...

S

On 2003-09-14 20:24, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Let's plan the first Saturday in December as the date for the next (big music!) OC Tiki Crawl 4.6

Who's in?

If you make it second Saturday in December, I'm in for sure. First Saturday in December is bad for us. :( I'd hate to miss it!

not sure yet but we might be in Hawaii.

Second Saturday in December is SantaCon!

S

Let's all go to Hawaii!

I remember what happened last year when we planned an event on the same day of SantaCon! Bad idea!!!

Aloha,

Arty

IN THE ZEN OF STEN

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2003-09-16 22:00 ]

October 17? Halloween? The first Sunday in Dec.? The second Sunday in Dec.? Whatever, I've missed all the previous crawls and would really love to NOT miss this one. With enough advance warning (minimum 2 weeks) I'm in.If the crawl is iffy, but October 17th at Sam's is on could someone (DR. Z??) take the tiki by the horns and start a new thread? Go ahead, just call me a lemming, point me toward the cliff (lure me with a Mai Tai), give me a date (with 2 weeks advance notice), and I'll follow you.

Tikifille, I'm with you, Halloween garb, riding on a reindeer with a Santa cap, I don't care! Just let me know when, what time, where and I'll be there with Mai Tai in hand.

I'm still thinking the first weekend in December, as the 2nd is SantaCon and many members will be attending.

As the date nears, Poly Pop, Al, and myself will be posting the details.

See you then!

It's been too long since I've been South...

First OR second week in December would be delightful...perhaps I'll make it a Tiki/Santa birthday for myself!

planning ahead,

tikivixen

I like Tiki_Bong's plan...especially the part about blowin' outta Billy's early and spending more time at Sam's. Count us in!

I don't know that we need to go to Billy's again. I'm not sure they would appreciate us coming by. I think we can find another stop to replace it. Maybe Duke's?

Should I do a retro t-shirt for this?

Pages: 1 2 84 replies