Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

R.I.P. Johnny Cash 9/12/03

Pages: 1 26 replies

We lost another great one today.
http://www.cmt.com/news/feat/jcash.dies.091203.jhtml

Man.....that's just....what can I say? This country is an emptier place without the man in black. That's just incredibly sad.

I too am just crushed. My dad and I would listen to Cash on 8-Track when I was young. Then I grew up to sing his and June's songs. But it's taken me until recent years, as an adult, to really appreciate how moving he was as a writer and a performer.

I'm told Trent Reznor (NIN) wept upon seeing the video of Johnny's version of his song. How cool to think that he was a creative, important, and moving force until his death, at age 71, instead of a bright flame that spends itself in just a few short years. The coward's way out, that.

But Cash was a fighter and in many ways an Everyman. How else to you explain how both the felons at Folsom Prison AND my dad, an upright ex-Marine white collar (non-scummy) lawyer who sings in his church choir, could adore the man so? And ME, an ex-sorority girl, high school Spanish teacher (OK, yeah, granted, with some time in the punk rock world, but STILL!)? Johnnny Cash spoke to and for us all.

I'm wearing black, as are other teachers at my school.

So long Mr. Cash. Thanks for all the great tunes. Upon hearing the news I put on my live at Folsom CD. Folsom Prison blues was the first tune I could ever sing and play guitar too. Very sad indeed.

Chongolio

Well put Alice...

For one, I am at a complete loss for words.

:(

Thanks for sharing your soul with us Johnny!

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-09-12 11:46 ]

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-09-14 01:43 ]

T

I'm devastated because I never got to see him live. The last time he was scheduled to play he had to cancel due to illness.

Jerry Lee's the last remaining one of the Sun legends still alive. Sam Phillips passed on this year too.

My number one favorite singer/ songwriter. I am deeply saddened, we've lost a great American legend.

The crazy thing is that my buddy and I were up late last night on the porch drinking and playing guitars. Around midnight, we started playing and singing Johnny Cash songs that we haven't played for a long time. At least we still have his vast catalog of music to enjoy.

I found this while doing a web search for Johnny.

Pinoy interview for U.S. visa...

Isang Pinoy during an interview at the U.S embassy appling for a visa:
Interviewer: " Why do you want to go to america?"
Pinoy: "Sir! because in America you have Johny Cash and Bob Hope!"
Interviewer: Surprised and confused..asked Pinoy.."You said Johny Cash and Bob hope? What it has to do with you in migrating in America?"
Pinoy: "Sir! in the Philippines we don't have CASH and no HOPE.!"..

A very sad day, indeed....

Well you wonder why I always dress in black

Why you never see bright colors on my back

And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone

Well there's a reason for the things that I have on

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down

Livin' in the hopeless hungry side of town

I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime

But is there because he's a victim of the times

I wear the black for those who've never read

Or listened to the words that Jesus said

About the road to happiness through love and charity

Why you'd think he's talking straight to you and me

Well we're doin' mighty fine I do suppose

In our streak of lightning cars and fancy clothes

But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back

Up front there oughta be a man in black

I wear it for the sick and lonely old

For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold

I wear the black in morning for the lives that could have been

Each week we lose a hundred fine young men

And I wear it for the thousands who have died

Believin' that the Lord was on their side

I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died

Believin' that we all were on their side

Well there's things that never will be right I know

And things need changin' everywhere you go

But till we start to make a move to make a few things right

You'll never see me wear a suit of white

Oh I'd love to wear a rainbow every day and tell the world that everything's okay

But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back

Till things're brighter I'm the man in black

[ Edited by: Tiki-bot on 2003-09-12 12:10 ]

K

Farewell Johnny. Thank you for remembering the souls the rest of us would as soon forget.

A

First thing I saw this morning was the announcement of his death. When June Carter died I figured Johnny didn't have long to go. Worst thing I've heard in a long time.

Just yesterday I was listening to "American III: Solitary Man". The first song that queued up this morning when I started my car was "I saw a darkness". Strange.
A

[ Edited by: Andrew on 2003-09-12 14:19 ]

I am also very saddened to hear of Johnny Cash's death. His greatest hits albums were regularly played on our family's cabinet stereo during the 60's..

Other memories of Johnny Cash .....

1. Back in 7th grade, our much hated English teacher assigned some written paper project. I can't remember what the topic was, but I do remember that I decided to incorporate the lyrics to several of Johnny's songs. I spent hours, lifting the turntable needle up and down, replaying segments over and over, until I had all the lyrics down correctly - and I ended up including 6 or 7 pages of entire song lyrics. It was then that I really discovered the power of songs like the Ballad of Ira Hayes. I was so afraid that my teacher would give me a bad grade for doing this simply copying, but instead she gave me an 'A' instead, and I have admired her a bit since then for doing so

2. I was fortunate enough to see Johnny, along with June Carter, a few years ago at D.C.'s 9:30 club, and it will go down as one of the best shows I ever saw. The audience was very respectful - most of us knew his health was failing, yet he still put on a good 2+ hour show. My strongest memory of the night was Johnny standing alone backstage (I was standing close to the stage), as he quietly and respectfully watched his son perform three songs for the audience.

3. Earlier this year, my older sister also passed away. I was able to visit her a few times, and on my first visit I bought along a Johnny Cash CD ... it was the live 'At Madison Square Garden' disc (highly recommended) Every time I visited her after that, that CD was played at least once. There was just something about Johnny's voice, and that boom-chikka-boom rhythm, that always drew us closer together.

4. Listening to Johnny's version of 'First Time I Ever Saw Your Face' a few weeks after his wife June Carter had passed away, and feeling so sad that he would live the rest of his life without her.

Vern

I was fortunate enough to see him play two sets at Pleasure Island at Disney World, of all places, about 7 or 8 years ago. He played alone, with June, and with the whole Carter family. It was one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. The image of European and Asian tourists, punks, cowboys, rockers, retirees, and all types of people in one place, equally moved by Cash's performance is one I will never forget.

T

I recently watched the DVD of Johnny Cash on Town Hall Party (TV show) in the 50s. It's on Bear Family Records and it's really worth the money. It shows 2 shows - one before "I Walk The Line" when Johnny and his band were pretty stiff in front of the camera. The second show is after "I Walk The Line" became a hit and Johnny and the band are so much looser and put on a great show. Johnny's Elvis impersonation is priceless!

If you ever get a chance to go to the Museum of Radio and TV in Beverly Hills, check out the tape of Johnny's TV show in the late 60s. It's phenomonal. The duet he did with Bob Dylan on the show is amazing. While you're there you may want to watch an episode of Hawaiian Eye.

The man had a great sense of humor too. Some of the stuff he says between songs on the Folsom CD had me laughing between the tears. We all new it was coming, especially since June passed. But still gets you in the pumper when it finally happens. Boy, what a life those two shared. I will definately raise my glass to them and to all the people who made difference in my life. This really is a sad time of year for America and in my circle of loved ones.
Hey Spike, funny thing is that I was learning Walk the line last night on my Uke. His catalog is completely timeless.
Formikahini, I concur with Tikibars, very well put.
Have a good weekend everybody and be safe.

Chongolio

S

Around 1995 I saw Johnny Cash and his son at the House of Blues here in New Orleans, and was fortuante to be in the very front. GREAT SHOW.

A true legend........

J

It hard to believe that Jerry Lee Lewis is the only Sun Records originator and star we have left...not to mention Sam Phillips dying earlier this year...we're witnessing the end of an era...and boy does it suck!

S

Today's a whiskey day for sure.
Farewell Johnny, you were true to the end.

On 2003-09-12 09:41, Formikahini wrote:

But Cash was a fighter and in many ways an Everyman.

Well said, Ms. Formika. I got to see him perform years ago at the Esplanade in Boston on Fourth of July. Johnny knew how to move a crowd. His connection with the audience was legendary. A very tough loss. His cover of Hurt will always haunt me.

E

We have lost one of the greats. Johnny was, to me, what America is all about: freedom and individuality against the toughest odds, staying true to yourself and your vision.

aloha,
emspace.

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:19 ]

When I hear that whistle blowin'...I hang my head and cry. So long Johnny.

M

Johntiki:

Actually, there are several other artists left from Sun Records....Billy Lee Riley, Sonny Burgess, Sleepy LaBeef, Jack Earls to name a few...Jerry Lee would be the last surviving member of the million dollar quartet though.

Matt

[ Edited by: mattfink on 2003-09-15 06:40 ]

T

On 2003-09-15 06:39, mattfink wrote:
Johntiki:

Actually, there are several other artists left from Sun Records....Billy Lee Riley, Sonny Burgess, Sleepy LaBeef, Jack Earls to name a few...Jerry Lee would be the last surviving member of the million dollar quartet though.

Matt

Thankfully many of these less well known Sun stars still play once in a while. I have seen Billy Lee Riley a couple times in the last 2 years and he's amazing - and he still dresses like an original rockabily cat! He rocks harder than most artists half his age.

M

I've seen Billy Lee play many times and he's still great. There are a ton of original artists (not just Sun artists) that play rockabilly and 50's rock n roll still. Catch em' while you can!

E
ecm posted on Wed, Sep 17, 2003 8:44 PM

i'm 47 , one of my early music memories , is being in my dads workshop , and listening to C/W radio..ring of fire would be on all the time , and i thought it was just the coolest. shortly after , the british invasion came , and washed all that away.but i always loved johnny cash..didn't listen to him much , but he was the real deal.it will be sickening , to see nashville , and country radio fall all over him now.they should have been doing that , to him , when he was alive.

Pages: 1 26 replies