Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Hurricane Isabel

Pages: 1 4 replies

S
SES posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2003 8:52 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:08 ]

Everyone laughed at me when I said this one would be big... seems everyone of our generation doesn't remember Hurricane Hazel of '54!

I spent my day at work telling co workers that YES, hurricanes can hit Toronto. Hazel killed 81 last time around.

This time methinks we are better prepared though. Not being allowed to build spiffy 50's tract homes on a floodplain anymore helps.

S
SES posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2003 10:35 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:08 ]

S

Hurricanes...been there, done that...In the ol' home state of Louisiana, they are as common as crawfish in a ditch. However, it would be sort of cool to get one up here in Massachusetts, especially since I live near the coast! Get a boogie board, my waterproof walkman with some Zydeco music and catch the waves!

A

Having lived on Guam for awhile, I never really take hurricanes (or typhoons as we called 'em) seriously. We got some of the worst (based on wind speed and size not on casualties) ones in recorded history blowing through on a biweekly basis during typhoon season. The main differences though are; a) all buildings are made to withstand them, b) everyone is trained in detailed procedures on how to deal with them, c) palms and bamboo usually bend and not break, and d) there aren't many people living on a tiny island in the middle of nowhere to get killed.

While living in New York a relatively weak one came through and it caused all kinds of problems.

Hope the death toll is minimal.
A

Pages: 1 4 replies