Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Of introductions and questions.

Pages: 1 7 replies

S

Hello all, I'm new around these parts. Seems like a large group of very friendly people and I'm pleased to make your acquaintance.

Couple of questions for you:

1. I am looking for someplace that sells carved 1x6 wood trim similar to that available at http://www.tikibosko.com. I like their stuff, but it is a bit on the pricey side at $1/inch.

2. I am also looking for a good deal on some woven "Lauhala" matting.

I'm in Los Angeles if that matters. These items will be used to finish up a bar that I have been working on for the past few weeks, and I will try to post some pictures of it when I'm done. Thank you in advance for any help.

S

Thank you very much Unga. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Whittier this Saturday. Any other place that anyone might know of? It never hurts to shop around.

If you have a chainsaw, some 4 dollar-a-stick 1" x 6" x 8' cedar, a torch, and about 15 minutes you can spew out that Bosko trim like a volcano. 1 dollar an inch is about an 800% markup on that stuff. Gecko, Chiki, or I could hand carve you some glorious Maori or Hawaiian-style trim that would make your head spin for that kind of dough. And it will be done by hand with a #11 gouge and a handmade mallet.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-09-18 23:27 ]

Shhh, BK! You're giving away all the secrets! You should've said "Well... it's really tough, but we might be able to do it for US$.85 an inch... I'm not promising anything, it might be closer to US$.90..." & then spew it out like a volcano!

I can't knock his tikis, as they are pretty creative and awesome, but that overpriced doololly trim and those "five chainsaw cuts across a board equals a masterpiece" masks...well, I just ain't 'feelin it. (Alright, Kahuna...let us know what you reeeeaaally think!)

S

Yeah, his prices are way too steep for me right now, but the trim is really the only thing that is preventing me from finishing the bar.

If one of you guys would be willing to take on the project, that would be awesome, and I would be eternally grateful. I would be willing to pay a reasonable price of course. If anyone is interested, please email me at [email protected] to discuss design and pricing. Thanks!

S

I hate to bump my own thread but....anyone? Maybe? Please? :D

Pages: 1 7 replies