Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Marischino Liqueur

Pages: 1 40 replies

I just scored some Marischino Liqueur, imported from Croatia. I can hardly wait to try out the drinks that call for it in "Grog Log" and "Intoxica". I will probably try the Blue Marlin again, since I originally made it with marischino cherry syrup, which turned my beautiful blue drink purple. The Marischino Liqueur that I just bought is clear FYI. The store below does have some cool stuff besides the Marischino Liqueur. They have Fee Brothers Falernum, Marie Brizard liqueurs, Macadamia nut liqueur, etc. They also claim to have one of the largest selections of single malt scotch in the world. Definetly a cool place.

Wine & Liquor Depot
16938 Saticoy St, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Phone: (818) 996-1414

Cheers,

KT

R
Rain posted on Tue, Sep 23, 2003 6:29 AM

if i remember correctly, the demerara dry float uses the maraschino stuff (it's hard to remember much after the Muggler makes cocktails). what i do remember is: it's a drink worth making! tastes like alcoholic sweet tarts. yum.

Thanks for the enthusiasm Rain! I can hardly wait to mix one up! I'm already getting thirsty and it is 7 a.m.

Cheers,

KT

I love the taste of Maraschino Liquor, and the Demerara Dry Float is a favorite, as Rain pointed out.

I have only seen Luxardo brand (from Italy -- http://www.uniexportfood.it/luxardo.html ), so I'm curious to know what the croation version is like. Please let us know!

I found the Luxardo in North Palm Beach, but I have found places in Orlando that will order it. If it's not on the shelves as for it and make sure you say "Luxardo" or else you'll just get confused looks from the clerks.

The Marischino that I have is:

"Maraska Original Marischino", made in Zada Croatia, and is 64 proof. It cost me $16.99.

Cheers,

KT

T

Just to clarify, Maraschino Liqueur is made from special Marasca cherries, and has a unique bitter almond flavor. It's very different from Marashino cherries or syrup, which are made with sugar, food color, and flavorings. You should never substitute one for the other in a drink.

Here are a few of my favorite cocktails with Maraschino Liqueur:

The Aviation
1 1/4 oz gin
1/4 oz Maraschino liqueur
1/2 oz lemon juice
pinch of superfine sugar (optional)
Shake ingredients w/cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

The Beachcomber
2 tsp superfine sugar
1 lime wedge
2 oz light rum
1 tsp Maraschino liqueur
1 tsp cherry brandy
1/2 oz lime juice
Rub edge of cocktail glass with lime wedge and dip edge in sugar. Shake rest of ingredients with cracked ice and strain into glass.

Hemingway dacquiri
1 1/2 oz light rum
3/4 oz lime juice
1/4 oz grapefruit juice
Shake with cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

On 2003-09-23 12:09, thejab wrote:
Just to clarify, Maraschino Liqueur is made from special Marasca cherries, and has a unique bitter almond flavor. It's very different from Marashino cherries or syrup, which are made with sugar, food color, and flavorings. You should never substitute one for the other in a drink.

Thanks for the recipes, Jab!

You are right, of course, that Maraschino Liqueur is is not a sugary candy flavor at all. In fact, when asking for it at the package store, be sure to pronounce it as mara-SKEE-no, not mara-SHE-no.

Hi Muggler, what's the name of that liquor store in North Palm Beach that had the marachino liqueur? Next time I get up that way I'll stop in.
Thanks.

gatorjwade,

I don't remember the name of the store, but it was in a strip mall at the SW corner of PGA Blvd. and Prosperity Farms Rd. It's a small store but packed to the ceiling with all sorts of goodness.

I just finished my first demerara dry float(I should have made a double)! I can't believe that I have been alive 39 years without knowing that pleasure! It is a good thing that I picked up an extra bottle of Lemon Hart and Passion fruit syrup. Jab thank for the good looking drink recipes. I'll start on them tomorrow.

Cheers,
KT

J
JTD posted on Mon, Sep 29, 2003 3:32 PM

Gang,
Just found some "Maraska" brand, Croatian booze calling itself kirschwasser. Also, it's 90 proof, which seems strong for a liqueur. Is this Maraschino liqueur? They do emphasize that it's made from Maraska cherries.

Thanks,
-JTD

kirschwasser or "Kirsch" as I usually hear it called is indeed a cherry liqueur. I'm not sure if it's marachino or not. I think it's used in cheese fundues. This is strange to me, since I can't think of those two flavours going together very well? Here's a recipe I found for the fondue:

Fondue Suisse - Cheese Fondue

1 garlic clove cut in half
1 c. dry white wine
1t. lemon juice
2 c. Gruyere cheese (coarsely grated)
2 c. Emmenthaler cheese (coarsely grated)
2 t. cornstarch
2 T. Kirsch (liqueur)
dash of white pepper
1 loaf crusty French bread, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes

Rub inside of fondue pot with cut clove of garlic. Add white wine and lemon juice. Over medium heat (on regular stove), heat until simmering. Turn heat to low and gradually stir in cheeses with a wire whisk or a wooden spoon.

In a separate small bowl, blend cornstarch with kirsch. Blend into cheese and continue to cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. (**Don't allow fondue to boil). Season with white pepper and serve with cubed French bread.

T

JTD -

Maraska is a brand of Croatian liqueurs. They make Maraschino, but they also make Kirshwasser (a cherry brandy). Both are made from Marasca cherries. So, I don't think you have Maraschino there. There are some old cocktail recipes made with Kirshwasser (as well as the aforementioned fondue) so it's not bad to have around.

Interestingly, Maraschino was orginally made only in Croatia, but Luxardo fled Croatia and started to make it in Italy as well. The fascinating story here:

http://www.croatianmall.com/croatia/wine/visnja_maraska.htm

Here's the full range of Maraska products:

http://www.maraskausa.com/Main.html

J
JTD posted on Mon, Sep 29, 2003 7:16 PM

Jab,
Thanks for the detailed info. I was out of town at the time, so I went ahead and bought it - just in case. The liquor store did have a couple other of Maraska's products, but no Maraschino. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep hanging out in liquor stores.

-JTD

J
JTD posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 7:38 PM

Success! Have discovered a liquor store here in Jacksonville that carries Luxardo Maraschino AND Rhum St James about a mile from where I work. They also had several other goodies that you don't see at the ABC stores.

Fellow First Coast TC'ers, try Riverside Liquors and Village Wine Shop, 1035 Park Street, Jacksonville.

-JTD

D

Maraska makes alot of good stuff with the Marasca Cherry besides the Maraschino and the Kirschwasser - they also make a cherry liqueur called Wishniak that tastes great and a Cherry wine that ladies like.
From what I'm told the Maraska Maraschino is superior to the Luxado one for a couple of reasons. Luxado actually gets thier raw materials from Maraska and makes thier Maraschino from concentrate in Italy. So the quality is a little better with Maraska and it costs less! They both look pretty identical with the 750's in the wicker packaging. I have a bar and market here in California and my distributor is Frank-lin. You could probably get in touch with http://www.westernwineandspirits.com if you live out of Caifornia.

Ok so I had asked my local liquor store to try and get me a bottle of this. A few weeks later he gave me a " they dont know if they can get it" so I took that as a no and went ahead and ordered 2 bottles(shipping was so high it was more realistic to order 2).
I went down to the liquor store a few days ago and he pulls out a bottle from behind the counter. Great! I need another bottle! So Im thinking... anybody here need a bottle? Its the Maraska stuff from Croatia. Im defintitely going to try and get to the Tiki crawl next month, I'd be happy to bring it, all I ask is a drink in return.

-stuckie

On 2006-06-13 07:10, stuckieshaft wrote:
all I ask is a drink in return.

Ya, join the club.
Stuckie gave me a bottle of Maraska just the other day and it was deintely a great addition to the Tiki bar. Opens another door to explore some new drinks.
Thanks Stuck!

Its spoken for.

Has anyone else noticed by itself it tastes and kinda smells like Cinnamon schnapps?
But once its mixed in a drink it takes on a different taste.

Out of the blue, I found Maraschino liqueur on Miami Beach (a severe rarity like the blue moon, I assure you). It called Stock and is produced in Trieste, Italy. 60 Proof.

Does anyone know anything about it and how it compares to the other two major brands mentioned here?

H

Santa brought me some Maraska Maraschino liquor. I am having a Gone the Beachcomber, and I am having a very good moment. By the way I put a 1/4 oz extra Trader Vic's passion syrup in there, it was a little too sour for me. ( I wonder if my lime or lemon is too sour?!?)

H

I am trying another Maraschino drink tonight. I made Marlin from Intoxica. It is blue and it is very sweet, but has a great cherry flavor. The longer it sat on ice the better it tasted. I added a little more lime to it. I also put fresh mint on the bottom of the glass and poured the ice on top.

J

Does anybody know where to find this in the Detroit area?

Thanks
JP

Another online supplier with not just one, but 2 maraschino liquors: Stock & Luxardo

Wine chateau.com

Correction:Fixed original lousy link

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2008-02-12 00:36 ]

Online ordering I have found this source for luxardo and Maraska:
http://www.internetwines.com/rws18082.html
The current price listed is $ 31.95 for the Maraska, $32.35 for the Luxardo, plus shipping of course.
They also are a source for Velvet Falernum, Pussers 95.5 (not in stock now however)

I found a bottle of stock maraschino in upper chevy chase Md, and a bottle of lemon hart(only bottle in shop) on connecticut Ave. in chevy chase/dc today.

Maraschino is somewhat bitter like Campari in flavor. Many drink you add a only a small amount.

Many vintage drinks added a bitter or anise flavor (absinthe, penord, etc) to add a funk to it.

BevMo caries it (and many other hard to find liquors), if you are by one.

Here is a drink I came up with that is a variant of a Negroni but uses Maraschino instead:

In old fashioned glass fill with ice
1 part Gin,
1 part sweet vermouth
1 part Maraschino

This drink is not for everyone. It's not that sweet and has a lot going on. It is very complex but the flavors are also very balanced. But that is also similar to a Negroni.

I just picked up a bottle of Luxardo (for $27...ouch) at the local BevMo. I started off making a Zombie 1956. The maraschino over powered at 3/4 oz. I was given the advice to make a Gone the Beachcomber. Same thing. I can tell that deep down it's a great combo but the maraschino just ruins it for me. Am I doing something wrong? Acquired taste? My measurements are exact. Bitter almond makes me think that someone poisoned my drink.

Thanks

Hi, I'm curiuos. What Luxardo product did you buy? The wicker wrapped Maraschino Liqueur or Luxardo Bitters? I know it's a dumb question but I don't find the bitter almond taste to stand out in a cocktail. I have never had their bitters and there probably is no connection whatsoever. I guess that taste is very subjective.

[ Edited by: bewarethe151 2008-04-07 22:55 ]

J

I find Luxardo to be pretty powerful in drinks and generally use less than the called for amount of maraschino. I have not tried other marischinos or maraskas.
-Sam

On 2008-04-07 22:42, bewarethe151 wrote:
Hi, I'm curiuos. What Luxardo product did you buy? The wicker wrapped Maraschino Liqueur or Luxardo Bitters? I know it's a dumb question but I don't find the bitter almond taste to stand out in a cocktail. I have never had their bitters and there probably is no connection whatsoever. I guess that taste is very subjective.

[ Edited by: bewarethe151 2008-04-07 22:55 ]

Definitely the maraschino liqueur. I was worried and rechecked. Anyhow, in an attempt to better understand this liqueur, I made an Aviation. 2oz gin, 1/2oz maraschino liqueur, 1/2oz lemon juice. "Soaking" the ML with the lemon juice over ice first completely changed the characteristics. A more pronounced sour cherry flavor was produced. It was much more enjoyable. Now to experiment with this procedure in other drinks like the Zombie, Gone the Beachcomber/Demerara Dry Float.

And yes, I guess taste is subjective.

Thanks.

I was playing around with the Tiger Shark recipe from Sippin' Safari tonight, and decided to add a little Luxardo Maraschino liqueur to the recipe, along with a couple of drops of Abinthe. The result was very, very good, although you really have to be careful with the Luxardo, because it can easily overpower everything else in the drink.

I dubbed my creation the "Shark Attack":

1/2 oz. 10 Cane Rum
1/2 oz. Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva
1/2 oz. Lemon Hart Demerara (80 proof)
1/4 oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
6 drops Absinthe
1 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1/2 oz. rock candy syrup
Dash of orange bitters

Pour all ingredients in blender with 1/2 cup of crushed ice and blend for no more than 5 seconds. Pour into specialty glass and fill with more crushed ice.

Finally found some Luxardo Maraschino at a shop in Annapolis, MD this past week. They also had a cheaper bottle of Luxardo "Bitter"? It was colored red? I passed on it but wondered if anybody else out there had heard of the stuff and how it differs from regular?

Luxardo bitter is a Campari type of apertif but in Luxardo style. The flavors come from the infusion of several herbs and spices such as sweet orange, bitter orange, rhubarb, mint, marjoram and thyme.

The Aviation
1 1/4 oz gin
1/2 oz lemon juice
pinch of superfine sugar (optional)
Shake ingredients w/cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

Since this has been bumped, seems appropriate to add violet liqueur is back on the market and a must-have for a real aviation. The name owes to the skylike hue, right?

T

Correct. Creme de Violette (about a teaspoon or so) should turn that cloudy Aviation a pale sky blue, the proper way to make this cocktail. I love the Creme de Violette, made by Rothman & Winter. It's available both in NYC and in CA (at BevMo and a few other places). Also good mixed half and half with St. Germain as an after-dinner liqueur.

As for Maraschino, I have tried both Stock and Luxardo. Luxardo beats Stock by miles. I fell in love with Luxardo Maraschino at Fontana Bar, Bellagio in Las Vegas. I haven't tried mixing it, but I find it to be wonderful straight. I have both, but the Stock (which I used for about a year before I got Luxardo) now just sits on my shelf. It IS a strong flavor, though, so I would agree with using less than recommended.

Just found Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur in of all places south west Michigan. Here's a mug shot so you know what to look for at a glance. Can't wait to mix it up.

Made Mr BaliHai's "Shark Attack" . . .

VERY nice drink! I backed off just a bit on the sugar syrup and it was still a nicely balanced drink.

This one gets added to my recipe file!

Here's a recipe for the drink that was made to commemorate the inauguration of the Bamboo Bar home bar in Porter Ranch for the 1st annual LA area home tiki bar tour.

Bamboozle

2 oz. Lemon Hart or other Demerara 80 proof rhum
1.5 oz. Rhum Barbancourt 86 proof 3 stars is great
.25 oz. Maraska Maraschino Liqueur - Luxardo is great too
.25 oz Cognac Balzac VSOP (just because of the name.... the secret ingredient is ....BALZAC!)
.25 oz. Orgeat (Fresh if possible)
2 oz. Coconut Milk (Canned variety typical to Thai cuisine and not the low fat one and NOT coco lopez or coconut syrup)
2 oz. Guava Nectar (without High-fructose corn syrup if possible)
3 oz. Unsweetened Pineapple Juice

Shake everything EXCEPT Cognac with crushed ice until shaker is icy cold.
(If shaken with ice cubes and strained you will lose too much of the coconut and it's sticky delicious fat when you strain it, use a spoon to get every last drop)

Pour contents into large coconut mug or small scorpion bowl or two double old fashioned glasses.

Float cognac on top of the drink

Garnish with pineapple & cherry on umbrella pick (and an orchid if served in a bowl)

O

Mr. Bali Hai, I also made the Shark Attack last night. Very nice drink!

I have several of the Shag coctail candy tins and we rimmed the glasses for a little sweetness. The lime, lemon and pineapple sugar.

(I wonder how Pixie Sticks would work?) Lime seemed to be the best.

I didn't have the Luxardo Maraska, here is the other one. Has anyone compared them?

Luxardo Maraschino is the important ingredient in making homemade maraschino cherries. Once you try these, you'll never go back to the red dye things:

1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 oz lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick (smash it up into 1/2" pieces)
1/3 cup water

Bring to boil in a large saucepan (we want lots of shallow surface area) Then reduce heat to medium

Add 2 lbs washed cherries (you can remove the pits if you want - I like to keep them "natural")

Simmer 5 minutes to release the cherry flavor into the "soup"

Add 6 oz Maraschino Liqueur
1 oz Cognac

Heat on low, stirring the concoction for another 5 or 6 minutes

Remove from heat.

Stir in 1 oz Orgeat.

Allow to cool - put a jar - then into the fridge

The cherries make an awesome addition to your favorite cocktails - and the "Maraschino Cherry" juice is delicious - (but powerfully strong flavor - especially if you use Luxardo - use this sparingly)- try 1/4 oz - 1/2 oz in your favorite "zombie" recipe to make a "Blood Zombie" for Halloween!

Pages: 1 40 replies