Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Your Favorite Funniest Movies

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

I am always searching for good movies to rent that will make me laugh. I'm not talking about a nice movie that makes you smile and feel good, but one that gets you rolling on the floor laughing.
Like the Producers or ??? I especially like the zany physical comedy stuff.

The AFI list is here http://www.afi.com/tv/laughs.asp, but I'd rather hear personhal stories and suggestions. Especially since I bet they omitted some cool obscure films.

I was just thinking of this Laurel and Hardy film I saw at the Silent Movie Theater years ago. I don't even remember the name, but I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life. In the climax scene, a crowd of gentlemen were pulling down the pants of the men next to them in one big spanking session. Does anyone know this film?

Beyond those listed by the AFI I'd say "Election" and "Chuck and Buck".

Airplane......simply for gags per minute has to be up there in anyone's Top 10 funny films.

Check out these comedies, if you haven't already seen them:

Dick
A Christmas Story
Tampopo
Plump Fiction
The Impostors

:tiki:

Reservoir Dogs

Fargo

I'm a HUGE fan of so many on that AFI list! My mom raised me on the good old stuff. It is hard to beat "The Thin Man" series (all of 'em) or "Philadelphia Story." ("My, she was yar...")

I'll add on a few, ones that I do NOT claim are high art, but rather that I used to rent repeatedly and finally bought, and still watch certain scenes over and over:

• "Adventures in Babysitting" (especially the singin'-the-blues scene)
  • "P.C.U." (stupid fun, but I love the campus activist scene)
  • "Love Potion Number 9" (Sandra Bullock makes a great mousey-frump nerd scientist - really!)
  • "Galaxy Quest" starring Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver and a half dozen other actors that I love. The whole thing makes my stomach muscles ache with laughter! (Thanks, Tiki Rider Five-O, as I edit the actual title in!)

Hey, and thanks for this thread, Futura Girl! I'm getting some GREAT ideas for movies to check out!

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: formikahini on 2003-09-24 14:13 ]

Were you thinking of Galaxy Quest?

[ Edited by: tiki rider five-O on 2003-09-24 10:31 ]

On 2003-09-24 08:43, Traderpup wrote:

Tampopo

:tiki:

I can't second that recomendation enough. Of all the Japanese Food Westerns out there, Tampopo is tops!

-Z

In no particular favorite order:

• KingPin
  • Duck Soup
  • Monkey Business
  • Airplane
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Blazing Saddles
  • Caddyshack
  • Raising Arizona
  • Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (It really is funny if you are into the old martial arts films like me.)
  • Just about any Mae West movie (her one-liners ALWAYS get me!)
  • W.C. Fields movies (again, the one-liners)

There are more, I'm sure, but this is off the top of my head.

T

Good call on "Dick", Pup. It's especially funny if you know all the shenanigans Nixon was mixed up in because the filmmakers so deftly tied in the girls' action to that (true) history. Dan Hedaya made a great Nixon, too. Ms. Dunst is never hard on the peeps, either.

My picks would be:
Any Chris Guest movie, but particularly "Best in Show","Waiting for Guffman", and of course "Spinal Tap" (actually a Rob Reiner film).

The Big Lebowski.

I still find Airplane! amusing, but will never forget seeing it in the theater for the first time. I never before or ever again left a theater in actual pain from laughing so hard.

And I'm a sucker for "Caddyshack", Murray & Chase's scenes in particular.

I know it's not a movie, but recently I've not laughed so much in a hour as during some episodes of "Queer Eye..." Damn that's a funny show, and rather sweet-natured, actually.

DZ

"Booty Call" Not something I would have rented on purpose, but when I got home from the video place, they had mistakenly switched tapes in their 'generic' boxes. I watched it anyhow - f*ckin' laughed my ass off! (Stop rolling your eyes and go watch it!)

Of course, being British, nothing from Monty Python made the AFI list, but even after seeing the Big-3 (Holy Grail, Life Of Brian, Meaning Of Life) literally hundreds of times, no movies have ever made me laugh harder!

What about live comedy/stand-up films? Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" and Billy Connolly's "Pale Blue Scottish Person" get my vote. Oh, yeah, and that one Eddie Izzard video we saw at Johnnie Velours...

M

I agree with Dr. Z (Monty Python is hilarious)

More Favorites:
*Freeway
*A Fish Called Wanda
*What’s up Doc?

• I’m gonna get you sucka!
    *Scare Face

and Dr. Strangelove (Peter Sellars cracks me up)

Be Careful... the tikies are watching

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-09-24 14:06 ]

I would have to say Raising Arizona, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, and from television - the Betty Broderick Story: Meredith Baxter Burney playing a crazed lunatic divorced wife - the performance is chilling and hilarious.

K

Here's just a few...

• A Night At The Opera
  • Up In Smoke
  • Ed Wood
  • Slapshot
  • Shrek

:drink:

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:18 ]

T

Friday
Orgazmo
Dazed and Confused
Caddyshack

spinal tap
dumb and dumber
princess bride
rocketman
bing and bob's road trips
'burbs

M

Undercover Brother!

Some John Cusack stuff,
One Crazy Summer
Better Off Dead I want my two dollars!

T

Yeah, DaneTiki, "American Movie" wins the "most laughs from pity and pathos" award. What a GREAT movie.

Go get yourself "PETEY WHEATSTRAW - THE DEVIL'S SON-IN-LAW" 1977.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Sixteen Candles (especially Dong!)
Elvis Stories- John Cusak, Ben Stiller, Andy Dick, Mike Meyers, Mojo Nixon Etc. It's fucking hilarious!!!!

Look for "Big Trouoble in Little China", it has some great Chinoiserie as well as funny lines like "When a 7 foot tall mutant taps the back of your favorite head against the bar-room wall & asks if you've paid your dues, just say what Ol' Jack Burton does:'Have you paid your dues?' Yessir... The check's in the mail."

"Wonder Boys"
(The scene in the car with Michael Douglas, Robert Downey Jr. and Rip Torn is hilarious)

"The Big Lebowski"
The funniest movie ever.

and with the holidays coming ...
"Home for the Holidays"
Funniest dysfunctional family movie (though that could be it's own thread).

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Parts I thru III
The Bank Dick (Vintage W.C. Fields)
Silent Movie

T

Romy and Michelles High School reunion!

I laughed. i cried. I nearly peed my pants. Any chick who was never the 'coolest' in high school can relate.

Well, of course -

UHF (Stoopaaahd! )
Freaked (with Keanu Reeves as the dog-faced boy)
Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
History of the World, Part 1
Brain Donors (great homage to the Marx Bros.)
Baseketball
Cannibal the Musical
Anything 3 Stooges

When I need a good chuckle, I turn to these cinematic chessnuts for help (some intelligent, some moronic...high brow, low brow and unibrow...dosen't matter as long as they make me laugh):

• the Party
  • Return of the Pink Panther
  • It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
  • a Day at the Races
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
  • Pink Flamingos
  • Amazon Women on the Moon

Freddie - I think it was "the Bank Dick" that has one of my fave W.C. Fields lines. He walks into a bar & asks the bartender (played by Shemp of 3 Stooges fame) - "Did I spend a 20 dollar bill in here last night?" (bartender) - "yes you did"...(WC) -"oh thank God, I thought I lost it."

E
ecm posted on Sun, Sep 28, 2003 6:47 PM

here's a couple that surprised me..
rat race....
mouse hunt..
i know , i know..." oh gee , they can't catch a mouse".. but the acting and lines are great.
rat race , i think is hilarious from start to finish.

T

Okay, I'm adding another, soon to be cult-classic comedy: School of Rock!

I kid you not - this movie DID rock. We laughed all the way through. If you're a Jack Black/Tenacious D fan, this is the movie he was born to star in. Really an amazing performance by Black, even if the slightly shabby indie filmmaking isn't quite up to snuff.

I'd go as far as saying this is the perfect kid's/parent's movie. The story centers on Black and his empowerment of the kids, so kids will identify with it, but it never panders to them the way most Hollywood movies do. Old rocker parents will get all the hilarious 60s & 70s arena rock references, which are a hoot. The kids in the film never get too precocious or too smart for their own good, either.

In addition to a hearty "two thumbs up", I'll simply "Raise my goblet of ROCK!" to this movie.

W

"The Magic Christian" with Peter Sellars as the world's richest man spending his money just to prove that everyone has their price. With Ringo Starr as the hippie bum Sellar's adopts.

Jim Jarmusch's "Down By Law" is great. The Roberto Benigni segment in the Jarmusch film "Night on Earth" is hilarious. The rest of the movie ranges from crappy to beautifully bleak,.

"The Misbehavers", the Robert Rodriguez segment of "Four Rooms", is hilarious. The rest of the film is pretty bad except for Tim Roth who is funny throughout.

The Made for TV series "Fishing With John" with John Lurie and various friends (Jarmusch, William Defoe, Tom Waits...) on "fishing" trips is very funny and few fish were harmed in the making of the series. Plus it has a great theme song done by Lurie.

T

Revenge of the NErdS!
It was on TV the other day. CLassic! And when thee nerds rock out at the end with their Devo-like stage act, it's the best.

TB

Some of my favs:

The Big Lebowski
Big Trouble in Little China
Blazing Saddles

S
seamus posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2003 7:53 PM

I second Woofmutts suggestion for Down By Law. Roberto Benigni kept me on the floor. The Fishing with John series is really good too if you're into the Jarmusch scene.

Chris Rocks Bigger and Blacker is by far the funniest stand up movie I've ever scene.

Not a movie, but HBO did a series of 30 min episodes with "Tenacious D" , Jack Blacks psycho duo acoustic rockin band. IF you can find them, WATCH THEM. Pee your pants funny.
I'm also a huge fan of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seinfelds creator Larry David playing himself- which is pretty much all the Seinfeld characters rolled up in one supreme asshole!

PK

This time of year always reminds me to watch my top 7 funny movies of all time:
Halloween: Side-splittingly Sinful
Halloween II: Dastardly Droll
Halloween III: Insanely Incongruent "happy, happy Halloween"
Halloween 4: a Mirthful Melody of Mayhem
Halloween 5: Fiendishly Farcical
Halloween 666: Satanically Slapstick
Halloween H2O: a Happy Ending...???
You'd better hurry and get to Blockbuster;)

"I like you, man. You're crazy, but I like you."

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2003-10-02 07:22 ]

PK

Oh yeah... Big Lebowski, Made, Old School and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are pretty funny too.

"I like you, man. You're crazy, but I like you."

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2003-10-02 06:17 ]

D

I can only base this on the first time I saw these movies which were either when they first came out, or only a few years after. My command for comedy over the years makes me not as easy to laugh at some of these films the way I did when I first saw them. Those films would be:

'Blazing Saddles'
'The Pink Panther Strikes Again'
'Animal House'

and honorable mentions:
'10'
'Unfaithfully Yours' (1980s-Dudley Moore version)

I distinctly remember laughing uncontrolably at all these films, particularly 'Pink Panther Strikes Again' & 'Blazing Saddles'. The ones that still get a laugh outta me to this day are 'Animal House' and certain parts of 'Pink Panther Strikes....' . Just thinking of Peter Sellers with the laughing gas AND the part where he flys off the parallel bars AND ruins the piano with that mace thing on his hand crack me up just thinking about them! 'Does your dog bite?' Jeez...I should probably rent that one again. There are so many great parts. The fight between Sellers & Kaito. Yeah...that film can still crack me up 25 years later. Jeez it was that long ago!!!!

Even though 'Unfaithfully Yours' was panned back in the day, I thought Dudley Moore was hilarious in that role, and saw it twice during it's theatrical run. I think I saw it on TBS not that long ago, and I didn't find it as funny.

DZ

I have also thoroughly laughed my ass off at all the films in Kevin Smith's 'Jay & Silent Bob' oeuvre:
"Clerks""Mallrats"
"Dogma""Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back" (my fave..)

Mr. Hulot's Holiday. Jacques Tati film from
early 1950's is sub-titled but there is very little dialogue and lot's of physical humor.

Ishtar. Just about everybody avoided this movie because of the terrible reviews. I think it's funny.

A
Andrew posted on Thu, Oct 2, 2003 4:16 PM

One that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned is "Mars Attacks!". Jack Nicholson in dual roles had me rolling.

"Desperado" was pretty funny too. When I first saw it some people behind me just didn't get it and complained about the movie throughout (e.g. he should've run out of bullets 5 minutes ago, that shot wouldn't knock him across the room, no one could live through that, etc...) to hilarious effect.

A couple more, "The Royal Tenebaums","Bride of Frankenstein, and "Being John Malkovitch".
A

Hey Now,

I gotta put in a plug for Steve Martin in "The Jerk". Just thinking about it makes me want go rent the movie and pick up a Cup 'O Pizza.

American Pie....the part where the father catches the son looking at a nudie mag. He sits down on the bed with his son and looks at it for a second then tweaks his head slightly and says, "Oh look son, it looks like a flower underwater." Laughed myself to tears and my wife kept hitting me with her elbow trying to get me to shutup. A long-quiet-tearful-can't-keep-it-in laugh.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-10-02 21:20 ]

A

I forgot "American Psycho".
A

J
JTD posted on Sat, Oct 11, 2003 12:52 PM

Buckaroo Banzai!

"That's Big-boo-tay, not Big-booty"

-JTD

I hold

"Pink Panther Strikes again"

as the king of all funny movies. (Former) Chief Inspector Dreyfus takes a relentless beating in that movie. The slow motion fight scene between Kato and Inspector Clouseaux makes me die laughting every time. Not only is the video in slow motion but so is the audio. When you hear the karate cry of attack in slow motion, it sounds like a couple of cows in a slow mooo sound.

Humor is such an individual taste. Most people I know of can't stand the Pink Panther series.

Pages: 1 2 77 replies