Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis By Seamus - concrete Tikis galore! NEW Pics Pg 9

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

I like that mounted/framed stuff. Too cool!

S

Yeah, well, I often imagine how much better they'd look in a Monkeyman frame.
Maybe someday we can do a merger project?

T

Seamus I have been looking to see if your on and never catch you. Thanks to you I look at concrete in a whole new light. Just this week I made some cool stuff that I have been thinking of. And I think in concrete now. When I walk through the park I am studying the different colors and textures of concrete structures. Some of that stuff is so smooth.

For the first time, I have something that I made for outside. I think that I am getting good fast. I was thinking, if you don't mind, I could do a tiki inspired from yours and make it a tribute piece. I really need to get one of your mask though cause they look to be of the highest quality and put it on my wall of masks. The color appears to be orange. ? I see that you are a sponsor for the crawl and it looks like you are having fun out there. I do have you beat with the Home Depot.

Cheers teakey

T

http://www.tiki-madness.com/concrete-tikis.html Talk about heavy!!! Seamus What about a tiki lamp with the tiki holding a flame type lightbuld in its hand. :tiki: Or how about a tiki like the stuff Gecko does with the fountain streaming from a lower place :wink: That would be a first I bet.

MD

Well done Mr. Seamus. All are different and perfect. Its not every day you hear someone say: "hand sculpted concrete"

When all our wood ones have rotted and blown away, some future archeologist will be wondering, "Who's this Seamus, and what do these beings mean?

S

Hey now Mr.Dale, Don't go using that word perfect! There's countless little things about most of the Tikis I've posted here that make me cringe. I do try to learn from those things and not repeat them on the next one, but my bad habits are particularly hard to break. I try to get all the bugs worked out of the ones I make molds of, but the free hand sculptures are trial and error. I can't go back and shave a little more off one side after it's dry and I'm looking at it with fresh (or sober) eyes.

teaKEY, you crack me up! I know what you mean about looking at all the stuf around you and recognizing all the applications of concrete. I do that constantly. And smooth? You wanna talk smooth? I've volunteered time with our local skatepark builders on two different parks. (I now live directly across the street from one of them by the way.) Those guys can get that stuff as smooth as glass. With the right right wheels you can get amazing speed on those surfaces and remain practically in stealth silence.

Keep up the experimenting. It sounds like you're gettin the knack, and have already been bit by the bug. And most of all post Pics when you're ready, and share your story.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ Edited by: seamus on 2005-03-25 15:14 ]

S

Here's a custom order I just finished. This sucker is over 3 feet tall and 14" wide and is 6" deep, and It weighs 30 lbs. It's by far the biggest plaque I've made so far.

B

Seamus,now THAT's a Plaque if I have ever seen one. The tiki is Really interesting and demands attention. Is he wood and if so what kind? Also what finish is it? Very Nice job on this one.

T

I don't think Seamus does wood. The frame is wood. 30 pounds that is about the weight of the 3D stuff so it sounds about right.

S
seamus posted on Fri, Apr 1, 2005 9:20 AM

It's concrete alright. The frame is wood though! Doug Fir to be exact. I do the occaisional carving, but nothing worthy of posting here yet. I went up in the woods a few weeks ago and scavenged a few chunks to practice on. They're drying in my shop right now. This plaque was a mad dash to finish before we left for the Crawl. I ended up discovering a couple of new techniques that speed up the process and give me better control. I love it when that happens!

S
seamus posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2005 4:07 PM

After busting my butt to get that big plaque done before the crawl, the guy decided it was too deep for his wall(?). I'm pleased to be bringing it with me to Tiki Oasis. It's one of my favorite creations to date. I'm making another, flatter one for the customer.

I'll be sharing a vending cabana with Travelin Tiki, aka Heather from The Art Deck.
Drop by and say Hi!

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2005 6:50 PM

you are going to have to post the pictures of the new one and we can do a compare. It actually just looks to hang over the top of the frame a tad. Thats a good thing to say that it one of your favorites. It means that you are growing in talent. I like your fountains the best. Your moai are probably the best anywhere. I have seen a hundred moais and yours are better.

S

Here's something I whipped out last week. Three, 3 footers, all spitters, all for the same buyer. He's gonna have one very cool backyard going on.

One very similar to these will be going to Tiki Oasis with me.

Seamus, those are really cool. Can't wait to see your stuff at Oasis.

T

I third this:

:wink:

TG

Cool....Well let's see'em spit. How about a pic of that.

B

seamus, your moais are Way cool. There is a Really nice look to them that not a lot of artists can get, NICE

S

Thanks guys. It helps to do a few at a time like this. You get a better sense of proportions, and how to get them consistent, yet each one individually different.

TikiG, those are now packed to ship, but I'm hoping to have one running at Oasis.
Here's pics of an earlier model in action.

TG

SWEET! Now that's what I'm talking bout'! "Spitting Tikis", who would of ever thought. Nicely done Seamus. Thanks for the pics.

T

Great pics and even better tikis. The three kings or three wisemen. What would happen if you do a cross stream with the three of them. That would be a sight to see.

NICE! That one tiki is spittin' pretty far it looks like.
See you guys at Oasis!
Chongolio

Seamus, you've taken concrete staining and finishing to a new level. Those 3 moai look both new and aged at the same time. Awesome!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-04-29 18:05 ]

S

Thanks guys. It means alot coming from such talented people as yourselves.
JT, I'm putting you on a time out. hehe.
Can't wait to see you guys AND your stuff at Oasis too!

I'm a proud owner of at least 4 "TikiBySeamus" and I can't recommend them highly enough. I love your work, man. There's a fantastic level of artistry to them - a lot of wonderful subtlety to their design. Those spitters have just the right stoic + dignified sensibility to them (love the perfectly arched brow). I hope I can afford one at Oasis! See you there!

S

[ Edited by: seamus 2005-09-18 10:06 ]

S

It's been a while since I've added anything here. I've been very busy lately with events, and making lot's of my big Moai spitters.
A fellow NW TCer approached me well over a year ago with a special request for a Moai with a waterfall for a mouth. I was intrigued. I tried a few experiments, and failed miserably. I set it aside and went on with other business, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I must've built this thing a hundred times in my head. Finally, one day, after months of trying to ignore this challenge, something clicked, and it all fell into place.
And here he is....

Hey,, what's that big mouth for?

For more water of course!!

Here's another special request from a lucky TCer. I delivered this back at the NW TIki Crawl, but forgot to post pics. He's a little guy. A little under 2ft tall, but spits water just like the big guys.

That is way cool! Having made two tiki fountains out of wood now I'm hooked on the water-tiki connection and I can't wait to make another fountain. How big is the pump leading to the moai (GPH)?
Is it made for poolside or a pond? Just wondering since you have it pictured just flowing onto the lawn. I love how the stream starts wide and becomes narrow.

Great work!

S

Yeah, I love the fountains. I've been getting into water falls and features more and more. Endless possibilities!

The pump for that Moai is 700 gal/hr running full throttle.

S

Here's a couple more. The two on the left are spitting fountains, and the one on the right (Walaka) is a casting.

The Walaka also has a cool pineapple back.

Excellent moai fountain, Seamus. Nice job working the pouring mouth into the traditional moai face. Someday we will own one like this :)

S

Thanks TB. I'll have to deliver it. I think this one is too heavy for regular UPS.

T

DAng sEAMus

That second gen. moai in the moai water line of fine Seamus sculptures is looking great. I like how he looks like he has a mouth full of water that he just has to get out.

next, small tikis for the bathroom.

M

I love it all. Keep up the excellent work!

H

Heya that wide mouth moai fountain is sweet. I dont know what it is, but the wide spillway waterfall looks a heap cooler than the normal stream spitters. Cool stuff.

Hey Seamus, that big mouth tiki is beautiful. I'd have one from you ASAP if only I didn't live so far away.

Any chance of some step by step photo's for those of us too far away to buy those beautiful works of art? So perhaps we can try making one for ourselves?

Mahalo

B

Seamus, your work is really looking great. I'm loving the finishes you are getting and the tikis themselves are really going through the roof!. Nice work.

S

Thanks Guys.
I will probably have to refine the process before I could think about shipping the Moai w/ the waterfall. It's pretty heavy. I made a reservoir and spill way first, then once that performed how I wanted, I built the Moai around it. I also knew I was driving this one to it's new home so weight wasn't as much of a consideration. Besides the internal reservoir, the process is the same. Hardware cloth (wire mesh) painstakingly built up as an armature, and cement sculpted over it. I'm also using stone texture stamps on the finish coat now to give them more a natural look and feel.

Seamus - I'm really impressed with that wide-mouth moai fountain. You've one-upped the old vintage fountain makers. I don't think any of the tiki bars had a fountain like that in the old days.

Sabu

S

That's quite a compliment Sabu! Unfortunately I can't take all the credit. The waterfall idea was entirely Monkeyskulls. He left it up to me as to just how to make it work, and ultimately look. We're both quite pleased with the results.

Bigger pump eh? Seamus, you are thee man up north. Nice work braddah!!

Seamus-
Sweet cement Tiki's!

THat moai is too cool. You are the man for concrete/water born tikis. can't wait to see one in person. I always love checking your thread

S

Thanks again folks for all the kind words.

I will more than likely be back vending at the next Tiki Oasis. I'm planning on bringing a trailer this year, so I can haul more of the bigger guys.

Hey JT, maybe we should have a fountain or two on display in your jungle "showroom" ??

Seamus, yes I should have a Tiki fountain for my Jungle Outpost. Let's work something out.

Here's my swell moai fountain by Seamus in it's temporary home by the pond:

And here's the artist and the missis:

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies