Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikis By Seamus - concrete Tikis galore! NEW Pics Pg 9

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

Really nice, Seamus. It gives me a sense of fountain envy. The pineapple design is awesome as well.

I just wanted to post a picture of my fantastic little spitter by Seamus.

B

Seamus, you just Keep on Cranking out these beautiful tikis, I Love it. Your stuff is Consistantly excellent and well finished. Keep on Posting!

tikiw - thanks for posting that great fountain by seamus. I'd love to check out one of those spitters in person - they look SOOOO cool inthe pictures. that guy does some quality work.
Seamus - we need to see more of your cool stuff around these boards!

S

Thanks for posting that picture Tikiwahine. I was just thinking about that little guy the other day and wishing I'd have taken more pics of it myself. Thanks also to Benzart and Polynesiac for your kind words. I always apreciate the encouragement!

I'll be vending at the NW Tiki-Kon tomorrow in Portland. I'm looking forward to seeing some of my good TC buddies, and meeting some new ones too! I've got a bunch of new stuff that I need to post pics of, but I gotta get thru this weekend, and finish moving and setting up shop in my new digs first (we've just moved back to Portland).
Stay tuned for some new pics soon....

I love Seamus' tiki water foutains!

LM

Hey Seamus great looking tikis, keep up the good work.
Reading through the thread you mention concerns regarding weight issues. Just wondering if you have ever tried mixing perlite with your cement? This displaces the cement and gives you a lighter product.
Also have you tried building up your wireframe over EPS foam then laying your skin? Just curious...trying to help you lighten the load so you can afford to ship those babies around the world! :)

Love those fountains Seamus!

M

the big moai with the big pour out of its mouth is really really cool.

More big openings with heavier flow.....

cool

T

loco, I think that Seamus uses little to no support under the wire. I know thats how I do it. I just did a 7 foot one with no support.

I would hate to ship out anything heavier than a mug and a 3 foot fountain is at least 60 pounds heavy.

S

Here's an odd one for you. I was commissioned by a local woman to build a six foot Moai complete with arms and hands. She wanted it to hold a 22 pointed star(don't ask). This was a tricky one, and took some time. The star was especially trying, and ended up looking more like a sea urchin, but she loved it. Of course, it is made entirely of concrete.
It was installed on a specially made pedestal just inside the gate of her driveway leading to a gorgeous oceanfront home. It was set in a bed of mortar and the rock was run up over the base of the Moai. Permanent Installation. Electricity was run to the site for night time illumination too. Eccentric for shure!

I forgot to post these pics back during the winter when Jauna and I put on a Polynesian show for the Yachats Mushroom Festival.
This is a look at the stage. It's a bad picture because I had a fog machine rigged to the volcano to spew smoke every so often. It also had flames and glowing embers. The Moais at each end were approx. 8ft tall. all the props were made of cardboard and paper mache.

We still have the Moais, and spruced them up for the stage at this years NW Tiki-Kon.

Here's the stage in use by a great group of Polynesian guys from the local job corp

The exotic and mysterious Tosha Taboo WOWED the audience with her dances to classic exotica.

I'm not the only artist in the family. Jauna made this Chocolate Espresso Eruption dessert for the fundraiser silent auction. Mmmmmmmm.

By the way, we've moved to Portland! I've got a new shop and have been working on a whole new batch of stuff, so stay tuned for some more pics.

And TeaKEY,,, I don't use wire mesh anymore. I've got secret recipes now!

that big tiki is really over the top seamus. you are obviously pushing your craft farther with each peice.

The arms turne out great and I wouldnt even know how to begin making an urchin out of concrete.

Nicely done.. very nicely done.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 7:56 PM

That concrete moai with the arms is very cool - but a little wierd. Nice man. Those shots of the spitters in place in the garden look the goods too.

That is so cool! And looks like it was no piece of cake to sculpt. Awesome as always, Seamus. And I have to add, it somehow reminds me of Kooche's work, which is a big compliment as well.

Missed you at Oasis this year, dude...

A-A

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 9:51 PM

On 2006-07-12 17:07, seamus wrote:
Here's an odd one for you. I was commissioned by a local woman to build a six foot Moai complete with arms and hands. She wanted it to hold a 22 pointed star(don't ask). This was a tricky one, and took some time. The star was especially trying, and ended up looking more like a sea urchin, but she loved it. Of course, it is made entirely of concrete.

What a masterpiece - it's full of character and the star does look like it's come from the sea, but that suits the piece perfectly. How many hours did it take you? Do you make maquettes of your pieces before doing the full size versions? I wish I was a wealthy eccentric - at least I'm half way there!

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-07-12 21:53 ]

B

Seamus, you are truely the tiki fountain MAster or the "Master Spitter" some would say. This last Moai you did was really incredible. your work has evolved to levels most of us can only dream about.

B

Seamus, is that a Nikon CoolPix950 hanging around your neck? Thats the camera I have, excellent photos it takes..

S

Thanks for the compliments friends. It always means alot - especially coming from such a talented bunch!
Missing Oasis this year was tough. We fully intended to go. I had already started on a bunch of new work to bring along, and had reserved my vendors space, but a situation fell in our laps that was just too good to walk away from. Long story short, we ended up doing a quick remodel on our home, and buying a house in Portland that a friend offered to me at a really great price. So lately it's been alot of house work and moving, but now we have a bigger house, a bigger shop, and we are back in Portland after six years on the Oregon Coast. We're very happy with the move, so I guess it was worth missing Oasis. I guess.

This last Moai with the hands and the star probably took about 60 hours or more including the star. I don't make maquettes. I usually work freehand, though I might have some reference sketches or photos hanging around for something new I'm trying. I learned some new techniques from a guy who does synthetic rock and boulder work. He does truly amazing and huge projects. So far, It's his basic methods of construction that I have adapted, but I hope to incorporate more of the actual texture techniques in the near future to get that real stone look on some stuff.

Benzart- Yes, that is the Nikon Coolpix 950. I love that camera! BTW, I finally got to see some of your work in person. JungleTrader showed me his at the NW Tiki-Kon. Unbelievable. The fine detail you achieve is truly awesome!

Hey Seamus,
Good to read a post by you again. The Moai looks {{{BAD ASS}}} So Awesome. Sea Urchins and Mushrooms huh. Yeah you have been busy. Glad to see you are still bust out large scale creations. Hope you can make it down for one of the other events. Give the fam a Hi-diddly-ho for me.

Chongolio

Seamus I think you have paved new roads with your recent concreate work. that Moai is BEAUTIFUL! I have no idea how you do it, and I want to keep it that way. In my mind you are a concreate magician.

I love the star. though as an ocean nerd, I like to think of it as an urchin. thanks for posting this one!

Seamus -

Fantastic job on this guy!

I can easilly picture him sitting in front of any Modern Art Museum in the world. The colors and the size of the star in relation to the the body - all pure magic. Great work!

Sabu

Too cool. That piece is amazing. I like the star. It gives the piece a look all its own. Nice work.

Seamus Brah, looking good! Congrats on the new house. Glad to hear all is well.

Hi Everybody. I received my Seamus Modmask and frame/plaque this week. It's a beautiful work of art. I'm writing to let you'all know about the great customer service that Seamus provides. I ordered it a couple weeks ago and during the shipping/delivery process one of the big 3 shippers must of airdropped it to the East coast (literally). Even though the packing and box was way more than adequate it arrived in bad shape.

Needless to say when Seamus heard about this he feverishly started to create another for replacement. With very little down time it arrived in fine order.

I was just eying up another piece on his web-site http://www.TikisbySeamus.com if you get a chance please visit it, lots of really neat stuff.

Thanks again Seamus, you da man. Uncrichie...

S

New stuff just finished. Two of them are spitting fountains. All of these are approx 3- 3 1/2 feet tall.

A couple of new masks for your wall...

A 16 incher

A planter...

Spitting Moai (just sold)...

And, a new waterfall design. I'm just finishing up the pool it will stand in,
turning it into a stand alone water feature. More of this style on the way....

As always, feel free to contact me thru my website or PM. My site is wayyy out dated and I'm trying to finish the facelift. So many projects,.....

T

I noticed that you were back and I knew that you would have to have something for us. Makes me want to play in concrete riight now, but at the same time, I now how much work it is.

These spring time feeling I'm feeling go perfect with your fountains.

B

Seamus, some of your detail is Really getting Fantastic. I love seeing your new stuff.

S

I think you've found your niche buddy. Your ceramics are looking awesome!
And yes, this concrete medium is very labor intensive. But there are advantages to the finished product. They don't rot, or blow over very easily!!

S

Thanks Ben, it's taken a long time to get a working process for this madness. I feel like I'm close to where I want to be, but there's a long way to go.

Great new designs, I love that water fall tiki. The spitting moai is my favorite, though. I'm impressed with the detail that you get working with concrete, it always looked like a very difficult medium to create art with.

THAT'S not lazy....ppffft, That's Seamus Capitalism, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT.....Shake hands with him or just LOOK at his hands, and you'll know he's a hard worker.
Right on.....DIG IT!!! You been busy brah!

Hi Seamus I love the planter and the new fountain...can't wait to see it with the bowl it sits in. Once I get my patio cover done in the backyard we will talk!

S

Hey JT, if you saw my books (or shoe box rather) you wouldn't necessarily call it capitalism!!! but yes, I have been busy. It's the only way to pass the grey wet winter doldrums here in the Pacific NW.

sputnikmoss - We SHOULD talk before then! Jauna and I were stuck at the opposite end of the VIP booth from you at the last PDX happy hour Tiki meet up. We were hoping to find a way to shuffle and mingle more, but ended up leaving for another engagement.
We are still planning the official grand opening party for our home bar,(no date yet) so perhaps we'll see you then!

Thanks Folks!

Veddy nice,
I'm likin' the planter!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 6:21 PM

The spitting moai looks great, as does the other spitter :)

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies