Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Roy Mauling

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

So Tiki Freaks-

What do you think about the "Mauling of Roy" in Vegas??

(maybe the Mirage has room now for a Polynesian show)

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2003-10-04 21:01 ]

UB

On 2003-10-04 09:04, RevBambooBen wrote:
(maybe the Mirage has room now for a Polynesian show)

They can roast a certain tiger at the luau.

It probably wasn't if, but when that was going to happen. Trying to domesticate tigers and putting them through a rigorous circus act, was simply playing with fire.
Being carried off stage by the neck, I say the tiger got the final magic trick.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-10-04 09:23 ]

D

I just read this full story on-line. Wow! All I can say is OUCH! They said he is in critical condition. Jeez. That's not fun.

I wonder why they canceled the show? Let the tigers put on a show. Whip the humans and make them jump thru hoops. Does this sound like your job?

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 4, 2003 10:38 AM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:58 ]

D

Bad Kitty!

I remember a few years back when a circus elephant attacked its trainer. After the attack the trainer said something to the effect of, "I can't believe he would do that. It's not his character." Yeah, after years of being struck with a leather whip the elephant finally fought back and the trainer couldn't understand why.

Looks like the same thing happend to Roy and I'm pretty sure everyone on his team is asking the same stupid question...

PK

Live by the saber (tooth)...

"It's just a really bad thing happening to a really important, wonderful, very, very strong guy [with such a great tan.]"

"I like you, man. You're crazy, but I like you."

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2003-10-04 18:49 ]

J
jonboy posted on Sat, Oct 4, 2003 9:27 PM

They don't hit elephants with whips, skin is too thick. They use a large piece of wood with a sharp nail it it. DO NOT SUPPORT ANIMAL CIRCUS ACTS, that includes Sea World, aka Budweiser

T

I think they should stick with the highly trained unipods of the "Snail Circus".

K

Roy Horn has become very wealthy and famous trading off the inherent danger of tigers... Vegas audiences don't get their accidents as often as NASCAR fans, but eventually you get what you pay for, and in Roy's case, what you get paid for.

http://universist.meetup.com

T

I would imagine that after years of fake n bake and facelifts, Roy's skin, much like the elephant, whould have been too thick for the tiger to do much damage!

Am I the only one thinking that Seigfried secretly trained the tiger to do this to spice up the act?

Does this mean the wife and kids will turn on me someday?

I think the tiger was just celebrating Oktoberfest with a little bratwurst.

And while S&R have certainly done their parts in preserving and perpetuating the white tiger population, I'm not a huge fan of denying these animals their dignity by turning them into a cabaret act, no matter how pampered they are offstage.

S
SES posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2003 3:21 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 07:00 ]

I can't help but remember the Simpsons Episode showing exactly that...
To say I'm not sorry for the guy would be an understatement. I, too, avoid circus acts, zoos and seaworld type parks.

Ran

AWWW, That kitty was just being playful...

Perhaps I'm naive but can't the same be said for dogs and cats?

Not exactly...domestic (and that's the key word) dogs and cats have been bred to be completely dependant on humans. There's no place for feral dog and cat populations. They can't compete in the wild and they are a nuisance in cities.
This is what SHOULDN'T happen to the large cats.
(Although NO animal should be forced to wear a costume...)

And may I take this moment to jump on a soapbox...
SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-10-06 15:57 ]

C

Study: Wide-Roaming Carnivores Can't Bear Zoo Captivity

Reminds me of "Creature Comforts", an animation film where the Jaguar goes on and on about needing space. How right he was.

I know it's easy to make fun of Siegfreid and Roy and say that anyone who is involved with animals and show business deserves what they get and all that.
The fact remains that Siegfreid and Roy have been working with big cats for 30+ years and have done a considerable amount to educate and promote conservation efforts on behalf of the big cats they love.
Many of the cats in their show were raised by them and also live with them. Siegfreid and Roy are the first to admit that even though these cats have been trained and are used to being around people, they are still "wild" animals and are treated with care and respect.
Yes, it is surprising that something like this has not happened sooner but it should be remembered that this was a very unfortunate accident.
Aloha,
:tiki:

S
SES posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2003 5:28 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 07:05 ]

Yep, a tiger is a tiger......and a human is soft and pink.

T

Do fish have feelings?

The reason I ask is because I took my daughters to a little carnival down the street and after saying "OK, now NO goldfish!", somehow ended up with a goldfish.

I decided to go on the 'catch & release' philosophy and "accidently" flushed Mr. Gill-roy down the commode.

(He probably assumed he was on one of those water park rides until he hit the main sewer lateral...Ouch!)

S

Siegfried and Roy work with many zoo's across the country, (on 3 continent's) in preserving and maintaining the white tiger. They have bred more than thirty white tigers, including the only five pure-white tigers in the world. They also work with the Johannesburg SA, Zoological Society to breed and preserve the rare white lions.

It IS different than a circus. The animals live in a spectacular and safe habitat.

Actually, if you think about it, household cats, and dogs can turn. Dogs can bite, and cats can scratch (humans or each other). These tigers are just much bigger and obviously can do more damage.
No matter how "tame" or "domesticated" ANY animal is, it is still an ANIMAL, period.

I don't see the humor some of the other posters seem to have found in this tragedy.

I took my daughters to a little carnival down the street

Bongo-

Fall Festival?? We were there Fri. night. Got trashed with the rest of the Cathaloholics! (Ooops. That's not religion right??) Anyway, we lucked out and got no fish!

Speaking of pets. We addopted a Alligator Lizard (wild) a year or so ago. He eats 10 crickets 2 times a week. But, he still bites like a mother f'er! You can try to tame em' but they are still wild. Kinda like humans too!

TR

A tragedy? Sorry I dont see it as that Suzy. I hate to see him get hurt but c'mon It was an occupational hazard and just that.
The guy works 20-30 yrs with these wild beasts knowing full well the possible consequences and then gets attacked? Dont be surprised and shocked. He should have known more than anyone else what could happen. Maybe after all these accident free years, he got cocky, let his guard down and got complacent.
Hey maybe the tiger just wanted alittle head? (rimshot)

Aloha :drink:

[ Edited by: tiki rider five-O on 2003-10-06 21:58 ]

Yes S&R have done great things for the white tigers.
Yes it is tragic. (For Roy, and for the tiger which will most likely be destroyed.)
But the fact remains if he hadn't been trying to force a wild animal into doing party tricks on a Vegas stage, his chances of being mauled by one would have been narrowed significantly.

*On 2003-10-06 22:46, purple jade wrote:*But the fact remains if he hadn't been trying to force a wild animal into doing party tricks on a Vegas stage, his chances of being mauled by one would have been narrowed significantly.

True. But still, when someone gets hurt (or killed) in a car crash, we don't say "Serves him right for driving a car!"

I have to chalk this one up to occupational hazard, they know the risks. I don't think S&R will destory the tiger. I think they've made a statement that said they the tiger is the last thing in the world to be blamed for it.

I think the Onion should do a "Sigfried and Roy destroy all their animals and vow never to perform with any animal again" type fake story, if it weren't for the fact that the guy is still in critical condition.

~Hanford

K

I think the Onion headline would look like this:

Sigfried and Roy to unveil new 'Bunny Spectacular' at the Bellagio next week

http://universist.meetup.com

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-10-07 01:05 ]

M

I hate to point out the obvious, but isn't that a large part of why people went to see them perform with the tigers....the obvious danger???!!! I wouldn't say he deserved what he got, but he got what he should have expected.

Matt

I don't think S&R will destory the tiger. I think they've made a statement that said they the tiger is the last thing in the world to be blamed for it.
~Hanford

No, I know they wouldn't, but whenever there is an animal attack, it becomes a state issue, and they are usually the ones that decide if the animal is a danger and if it is to be destroyed or not.
And it is almost NEVER the animals who should be blamed.

T

[i]On 2003-10-06 21:07, RevBambooBen wrote
Fall Festival?? We were there Fri. night. Got trashed with the rest of the Cathaloholics! (Ooops. That's not religion right??) Anyway, we lucked out and got no fish!

Speaking of pets. We addopted a Alligator Lizard (wild) a year or so ago. He eats 10 crickets 2 times a week. But, he still bites like a mother f'er! You can try to tame em' but they are still wild. Kinda like humans too!

Ben,

Yeah, that was the gig. I like going to it because how many carnivals serve beer and wine!

Except one year I got tanked (believe that one will ya) and went on this thing that holds you against the wall as it spins. NOTE - it also holds vomit against the wall (until it stops spinning).

T

On 2003-10-07 08:20, mattfink wrote:
I hate to point out the obvious, but isn't that a large part of why people went to see them perform with the tigers....the obvious danger???!!!

It's the same reason people watch the Indy 500...to see the car crashes.

T

Please everyone forgive me for this....
http://hometown.aol.com/mugsyskull/myhomepage/roy.gif

M

Humans, they're grrrreaaaattt!!

On 2003-10-08 11:39, mattfink wrote:

I'm ashamed to admit, this made me shoot milk and Frosted Flakes out of my nose.

E

Caught Larry King's tribute show the very next night on CNN, all the goombahs, I mean Vegas heavyweights like Wayne Newton were there, and this one member of the act she sez - wait for it - "maybe a member of the audience did something and the tiger was trying to protect Roy".

Gawd, don't you love professional spin-doctors? Blame the audience. Lord, please don't let any tigers "protect" me!

As bro Matt said, "mess with wild animals long enough and you'll get messed with back". Nuff said.

aloha,
em.

T

Actually gotta be a Disney geek here - that's Tigger - not Tony....

M

Ah well, I couldn't resist it any way...sorry about the milk squirting out your nose!!!

What wine goes with people?

M

ouch, ouch, ouch....that really hurts...Oh, you mean wine not whine....I think a nice Mogum David 20/20 would be about right...

El Guapo you must investigate this act of animal cruelty towards humans.

Oh I shall get to the bottom of this right away.

El Guapo be careful I love you.

Here's the plan. We'll wear these costums so they won't know we are white tigers.

This is gonna be good boss.

To be continued....

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-10-08 15:53 ]

S

Siegfried is supposed to be on Larry King tonight.

It's a shame one doesn't often hear about those that promote dog fighting getting mauled.

On 2003-10-08 16:55, suzywong wrote:
It's a shame one doesn't often hear about those that promote dog fighting getting mauled.

The media has only potrayed Roy's mauling only as a tragedy, really. If people are coming to the conclusion that Roy deserved it, I don't think the media is persuading them.

~Hanford

L

Was the tiger in question one of the gay ones?

E

On 2003-10-08 15:52, Kailuageoff wrote:
El Guapo you must investigate this act of animal cruelty towards humans.

Hee hee, you must do more of these Geoff! Friggin' hilarious! Is the white kitty a Scottish Fold BTW? Or is he just p.o.'d?

:)
em

E

Oh, my dumb - didn't realize these were from a website...duh.

:), em.

Pages: 1 2 72 replies