Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

SKYMALL TIKIS

Pages: 1 16 replies

imagine my surprise when i lifted my tray table and looked into the skymall catalogue...nestled deep between the "personal air conditioners","insprational posters" and the "500 necktie organizers" ...."TIKI gods, The Art of Celebration!"

they are selling 2 styles of tikis, one traditional and one very enchanted tiki room inspired....but they are molded from resin!

I am all confused; it's cool that there is a mainstream demand (do they get it finally?) but PLASTIC?!?!?!?!

judge for yourself, go to skymall.com and search "tiki"....

A

Inky,
I have those Tikis. I got them from Design Toscano. They also sell moai. I like my plastic tikis.
Al

hey they look great! i guess any tiki worship is good tiki worship...

We have the "God of the Luau", which stands at the top of our waterfall. They did a really nice job with these - they look for all the world like old palm wood, and they're solid and heavy, not cheap or flimsy. If you can't get the real deal, get one of these bad boys...

Coco Joe's tikis are also resin (in addition to the lava mixture) and definately fun and collectable.

W

The availability of these resin Tikis doesn't prove some new mass appeal of Tiki. Design Toscano has sold gargoyles et cetera for years and the world of middle class decor isn't exactly overan with gothic interiors. Instead of Dark Shadows you'll mostly see the Painter of Light (TM) when breaking into suburban homes.

As for the quality...I saw Maxton's copy of the "God of the Luau" and thought it was some well aged great Tiki find of his. I almost fell into his fountain in disbelief when he revealed its provenance (I did a more tasteful spit take followed by a "Wha-?!" instead). The quality is excellent. Only your hairdresser will know for sure.

I'm getting more excited every day...my mother-in-law ordered these for my birthday a few weeks ago, and they've been on backorder. I can't wait to get them!

The latest Design Toscano catalog has arrived, as well as their "Exotic Fare","South Seas" category, featuring the resin tikis pictured earlier in this thread from a few years back (the infamous 'Search'
feature!)
Behold! The 'wood-grained designer resin' splendor that can probably hold up well against assault by the pool, chlorine, pets, angry squid, etc.

They also have more 'South Seas' items on their website than are in the catalog, including smoe moai.

Here's the link: http://www.designtoscano.com/jump.jsp?itemID=40&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=37&iSubCat=40

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2005-01-11 21:29 ]

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2005-01-11 21:24 ]

Dang! Edited for multiple post! My 'Submit' button is too submissive.

[ Edited by: ZebraTiki on 2005-01-11 21:26 ]

The "God of the Moai" is one cool lamp!

Now where's my wife's credit card...?

[ Edited by: Stainless Steel Tiki on 2005-01-11 21:26 ]

On 2005-01-11 21:23, Stainless Steel Tiki wrote:
The "God of the Moai" is one cool lamp!

Proud to say I have that one myself.

Inkylouise,

mahalo for introducing a great place to shop for tiki!

I broke down and got me one of those Enchanted Tiki Room totems...after all it's copied straight from page 193 of the BOT.

Man, Design Toscano is THE tacky art source, I must say. I really want that psycho artist bust of Van Gogh! It is so weird, and sooo WRONG! A shining example of the taste crimes nowadays committed in new resin design genre:

“Face of van Gogh” Wall Sculpture

By Carlo Bronti (b. 1951)

With all the vibrancy of the artist’s own self-portraits, this contemporary rendition by Venitian mask maker Carlo Bronti, takes van Gogh’s work into a new dimension. With the same thick brushstrokes the artist used in his self-portraits, this designer resin work translates the face of one of the world’s most immortal painters into art itself!!!

On 2005-01-13 12:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
Man, Design Toscano is THE tacky art source, I must say. I really want that psycho artist bust of Van Gogh!

Is that one with or without the ear? :lol:

My future home will have a yard filled with tacky Design Toscano lawn ornaments of all kinds.

[i]On 2005-01-13 12:12, cynfulcynner
Is that one with or without the ear? :lol:

That's EXACTLY what I was about to say!

I got my God of the Luau at Wally-Mart for $28 Canadian, now if I can only find the totem for that price...

On 2005-01-13 12:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
Man, Design Toscano is THE tacky art source, I must say. I really want that psycho artist bust of Van Gogh! It is so weird, and sooo WRONG!

I couldn't agree more!

A friend of mine signed me up for their catalog, as a joke to offend my sensibilities. She gets the catalog too, and we each go through our copies, and write jokes on post-its, or highlight particularly hilarious descriptions of 'exclusive art work', then mail each other our commentary (she's out of state). I love the catalog for phrases such as, "Three feet of gothic ferocity!" when applied to a sculpture of a rather coyly effeminate gargoyle 'waiter'.

I might have to order that "God of the Three Pleasures" though.

Did anyone see the "Moroccan Monkey Butler"? He's wearing a fez and vest, and in the catalog, there's a tiki mug (just a prop)on the tray he's holding. It's in the "African Kingdom" section.

J

"I broke down and got me one of those Enchanted Tiki Room totems...after all it's copied straight from page 193 of the BOT."

The god of the luau tiki is also in BOT at page 184. (Looks like it is a candle)

I bought the pair of tikis since it was only $25 more to get them as a pair rather than get the "3 gods" tiki by itself.

[ Edited by: joefla70 on 2005-01-29 06:35 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies