Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Tiki Musicians Unite!

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

i'm too lazy to type anything new.. so i copied an pasted what i have previously wrote...

Band/Artist Name: Outhouse Moan
Genre: Psychedelic-Hillbilly
City or cities you play in: Texas (Dallas Ft. Worth area)
How many in the band: 5-7
How long you've been playing: 4 years
What instrument(s) you play: Washboard, Theremin, percussion
Where we can download MP3 files: website.. keep checking. Email me through the site and I can send you a practice/jam session on tape.

We have opened for the Golden Dawn (TX psych band), Jad Fair (Half-Japanise), the Lucky Pieres, and Spoonfed Tribe.

We have also been on a compulation album: Texoctica vol 1.

S

Fantastic group of talented people in Tiki world, not surprising. Heres my modest contribution. Been playing guitar since I was 12 ish...yes, a Strat,almost got a handle on it now. Played in lots of bands, most significant being Common Language, early New Wave from 78-84. Worked with a World Famous Producer, from our hometown, whom modesty prevents naming, Tikifish will know. Currently playing with Rachel Derry, immensely talented singer/songwriter/pianist, doing...um...Adult? Contemporary? Pop? Who knows, it's brilliant and I take no credit whatsoever. There's stuff on the net but it's old, finishing our cd currently, when it's up, you can hear it. (Ego surfacing). Thanks to everyone here for endless hours of entertainment, I am converting Rachel to the joy's of Tiki, the tour bus will have a Tiki-bar, trust me.

S

Almost forgot, in Common Language I played bass, the amazing guitar player is also a member of Tiki Central, but I will leave it to him to post his story. Modest soul that he is, won't tell the Robert Fripp or Brian Eno stories I'll wager...

I dabble in ethnic percussion...congas...djembe...ashiko...
doumbek...shakers...etc..etc...and
record in the tiki room studio with a
couple guys called The Mensters...a number
of centralites either have a copy of our
latest or soon will. during our best
moments we are somewhat like Mickey Hart's
Planet Drum....also play congas in two
local bands...

Aloha Y'all!!
Lookin' fo players in the Atlanta area for some exotica/tiki/beautiful music making possibilities. I've got a regular gig now. I'm looking for vibes and organ player. We have the uke and steel covered for the most part but welcome all.
gimme some shout back, c'mon

K

I play Hawaiian lap steel guitar a bit. Have just done casual gigs and wedding. Would like to do an exotic minimalist CD...just steel, drums, bird calls, etc.

I've been playing guitar for quite a while now, and just got into surf guitar instrumental stuff. I also used to play Jazz Tenor Sax and some keyboards. I love Exotica and hope to maybe do some recording of that in my home studio. I'm currently recording some surf guitar instros there.

HK

I mainly play Guitar, Bass, Ukulele...although I goof around on Piano, mandolin and Banjo a wee bit too.

I'm a full-time musician - I stay busy with my Trio (sometimes Quartet) WHOLLY CATS!!! We play a variety of Jazz, Swing, R&B, Americana and whatever else pays the bills. Our alter ego is a trio called HAOLE KATS!!! With that act, we do Hapa Haole, Latin/Island, Surf and Rockabilly with the occassional curve ball thrown in.

I'll post links to some tunes over in the creating tiki forum.

Anyone who's in the Tampa area that's into Tiki should give me a shout sometime!

Josh

You know what would be very cool? To create a Tiki Central CD compilation. I remember the free double CD offered last year from the exotica mailing list subscribers. It would cool to make a double CD of Tiki Centralites. We have tons of artists who could do the cover art, tons of musicians who could create some cool tropical sounds....the sales could go to help keep Tiki Central alive.

[ Edited by: Digitiki on 2004-08-26 16:51 ]

T

I like the compilation idea TIKI AID 2004

I play guitar. For the most part its all been for shits and giggles but I do jam with a group now and then. We've dubbed out little group THE PURPLE HELMETS Oh the possibilities if we could just commit. If we were to put out an album it is to be called "The rise of the Purple Helmets" with our break through single, "Here come the Purple Helmets". We play alot of surf and rock. Song titles include "Girl I love You","Nights of Lust","Pineapple Salad","Palm Tree Seranade", and "Guacamole Dip".

I play a semi hollow Guild. Big old thing, fire engine red and trimmed in chrome. Just like one of the guitars the king Brian Setzer himself has, except his is a mucho expensive Gretch. Oh If i could just play sleepwalk the way he does....

i mostly play bass, but i'm decent at guitar as well. i have a '76 gibson grabber bass (natural with maple neck)and an early version of a G&L sb2(surf green with maple neck). i have an old late 70's early 80's gk 200 watt head and swr 15 under a two 10 cab. it is a sweet soundin rig let me tell ya!! i also have a strat loaded with lipstick tube pickups and a fender champ 12 tube amp. i enjoy playing all types of music, well except country, but i'd have to say my favorite is the blues. i've played in a bunch of different bands around here ranging from punk to the blues and every thing in between stylisicly.

I've been playing the drums since the 3rd grade (like 20 odd years I think? How old are you in 3rd grade?) and I'm still no good. Lately I've been pretty successfull at making duck calls playing the uilleann pipes. Maybe I'll try the scottish war pipes to annoy my neighbors a wee-bit more.
I've been in all types of bands: east-coast hardcore (a-la gorilla biscuits), poppy punk and most recently ska. We were a bunch of goof-balls and broke up right around the time that the gawd-awful "third wave" of ska surfaced. You can still hear one of our (terrible, but funny) songs on the ska parade radio show - but only on april fools day.

Since then I've mostly just played with myself a lot...errr...I mean...blown my chanter...ahhh...played my whistle...noo...fingered the pipes...nevermind.

I play the drums... I have been playing drums since about 1977. I have played in several types of bands, every thing from Rock, County, _Rock-A-Billy, Jazz, Funk.... etc. I would love to get together with other musicians to play Exotica, Lounge or even a little Dick Dale.. I am in Orange County..

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2005-01-07 16:01 ]

On 2004-09-23 10:58, MachTiki wrote:
P.S. If you go to our website and were wondering which one I am... click on the "Photo Album" link and check out the top row of pictures. I think you'll figure it out.

I thought you were the one that looked like a giant, flaming Peanut mug...

M

On 2004-09-23 12:30, freddiefreelance wrote:
I thought you were the one that looked like a giant, flaming Peanut mug...

Only when I'm not playing.

MachTiki, I checked out your website yesterday while I was at work. Some very cool pics. I take it the one with you and the two tikis was taken at Puuhonua o Honaunau beach on the west side of da Big Island (right near where Capt. Cook got thrown out). I showed it to a guy I work with who also plays guitar (and various other instruments) in a duo that goes by the name of Sneaky Feet. He tells me you guys have met and occasionally swap gigs. His name is Roy and they usually perform in the South Bay area.

Shipwreckjoey,

Yeah I know Roy. Very nice guy. They use to play at the same bar we play at on Friday's ("Galley at the Marina" down in the South Bay). We have used eachother a couple times when there's a gig that one of us can't do, Do me a favor and PM me his e-mail address. I haven't talked with him in quite awhile.

As far as the pic... you're right. That pictures was taken at the "Place of Refuge". My wife and I got there right when they opened one morning and we were the only two there. It was almost religious. I recommend that place to everyone I talk to that is going to the Big Island.

On 2003-10-16 14:40, tikidrummer wrote:
I play drums/percussion in the vibraphonic tiki exotica trio "Fisherman." We play every Monday night at Otto's Shrunken Head (E. 14th St. bet. Ave's A & B) in New York City. I've seen several tiki centralites there including Inkylouise, Manic Cat, and Humuhumu. If you're ever in town, come check us out! We also have a recording featuring some exotica classics, as well as some original music, which can be purchased at our website: http://www.fishermansburlesque.com
Hope to see you all at Otto's soon!

Tikidrummer

I had the good fortune to catch the Fisherman at Otto's last Monday with Stentiki and these guys are great! You gotta buy the CD and catch them live. I also had the honor of chatting with Tikidrummer who is very cool (it was after a loooaaadddd of Zombies, so I hope I wasn't too obnoxious). I'll be at Otto's as many Monday nights as I can.

MachTiki,
I grew up in SD, infact I started the Latin band Yavaz, maybe you've heard of us. Well, I live in LA now, but my partner is still keeping the band playing every Friday night at Croce's downtown (across from Mr. Tiki Mai Tai Lounge!!). Good to know there are fellow San Diegans on TC!!

M

Digitiki,

Croce's is a great gig to get. I've known a few people that have played there and loved it.

As far as fellow San Diegan's on TC... From what I've seen; we're pretty well represented.

S

Well, everyone else is getting this link as I have licked more e-mail stamps in the last week than any number of mai tais will correct. Hope ya like it. http://www.rachelderry.com

Hello everyone-

I'm new here, but I gotta tell you- you guys have an awesome set-up here!

I have been a professional (working) musician for the past 21 years. Though I left my band in August '03 to move to Hawai'i and pursue other interests. My last band, The Strangers, was formed in 1989, and is still going strong in South Coast area of Orange County California. Over the years I had the good fortune to tour as the opening act for some pretty cool bands: Eddie Money, Jeff Healy, among others. It was a great experience. Some of my musical peers (friends) back home include some cool exotica bands. One of my favorites is the Blue Hawaiians -check them out. The Strangers were primarily a cover band but we wrote music as well and it was good enough to get us the touring gigs with national acts.

Now that I'm away from that scene, I really want to dive into writing and exploring the exotica genre. Before I left, I hooked up with a couple horn players I know, the keyboard player from our band, our guitar player and Lee Rocker from the Stray Cats. We were planning some cool stuff until our schedules tore us in different directions.

Now that I'm comfortable here on the North Shore of O'ahu, I'm really looking forward to doing this(although with local musicians). When I get a CD burned I'll let you good people know about it so you can critique it for me.

Great to meet you all-

Aloha

TTK

TongaKing-

Great name! Many of my friends here in Hawa'i are Tongan. I coach them in rugby in my spare time. Too bad you and I didn't hook up before I left - we have the same taste in music it would seem! Would have been a blast...

You can catch my old band The Strangers on Friday/Saturday nights in Laguna Beach at either the Sandpiper or the Marine Room. Go talk to the guitar player, Greg, and tell him I told you to tell him he "plays too loud".

TTK

[ Edited by: TheTikiKing on 2004-10-06 03:18 ]

M

TTK,
Pleasure to meet you. I'm sorry I missed your band when you lived here. I live about 45 minutes from Laguna beach and my wife and I used to go to the Marine Room alot. Usually we go to catch the "Missiles of October". Paul (Lead Vocal/Guitar) from the Missiles went to High School with my wife.

I look forward to hearing your CD when it's done.

MachTiki-

You probably did see us at one time or another and just didn't realize it!

On a related note- I used to sneak into the White House and the Sandpiper to watch the Missles before they were the Missles - when I was in High School! The band was called The Heat back then. Poul wanted to break away from the Heat and do his own thing, but enlisted Frank Cotinola, Jimmy Perez and Bob Hawkins from The Heat as his backup. The only one left out was Heat keyboardist Bob Wright (who has been my keyboardist since 1994). The Heat band is still together (sans Poul)with Mike Halby (Canned Heat) as the guitarist.

I'll definitely let you know when the CD is done- stay in touch!

Aloha

TTK

MachTiki-

Wanted to tell you I love the MachTiki icon in your signature! Where can I get one of those? I live in the land of Tiki and I need that in my signature as well!

TTK

M

TTK,

Thanks for the kinda words about my logo. I'll send you a PM with more info.

We have been to all those places in Laguna Beach, so I'm sure I did see your band at some point. I'm actually kinda surprised that Missiles of October didn't make it big. Both of their albums are pretty damn good. I've always like Paul's John Hiatt style of writing and singing. Tons of passion. Anyone reading this that lives near Laguna Beach really should go check them out.

K

Aloha!

Wow, there sure are a lot of players on this board! Very cool, indeed.

I've been playing guitar and bass for about 30 years now (yikes), and currently play with Haole Kat in a trio by the name Haole Kats!!!, doing fun island music. This incarnation is an offshoot of our first version, Wholly Cats!!!, which does primarily swing, jump, jazz, R&B and whatever else might help get us a gig! :D

My favorite discovery though has been the ukulele. Just about the coolest little instrument ever, IMO. Proof that good things DO come in small packages!

A hui hou,
Kanekila

Well it's my turn. I play a Fender 62 Reissue Bass guitar and upright bass. my styles are a mix of jazz, R&B, rockabilly, and everything else in-between. I play though a GK 400RB head with 1X15 and 4X10 cabniets. The Vodkanauts is the main group I perform with along with a variety band and any jazz combo I can do some fill in work with. the Vodkanauts introduced me to Tiki music which I came to enjoy it's beautiful melodies along with it's open, flowing progressions to use lot's of color full notes and fills on the bass. For my bio go to http://www.vodkanauts.com there are also photos of my bass' and the group.

S

I came across this old dead thread and thought it might be time to revive it.

Most of you know me as a designer/sculptor for Tiki Farm. But in another life.....

I'm a drummer/percussionist. Before sculpting took over my every waking moment, I was gigging professionally on a regular basis, and now the itch is getting unbearable to start up again. I've played many styles including prog rock, jazz (not that "smooth" garbage),rockabilly, western swing, psych, and even a Hendrix tribute band.

I toured and recorded with Richard Sinclair (ex Hatfield & The North, Caravan)and Pete Bardens (ex Camel). For those of you not famliar, these guys were both very influential in the British progressive rock scene of the late '60s - '70s.

Anyway...I've got the itch again! Anyone doing a Hokey Hapa Haole band that needs some percussion ala Spike Jones??? A Jazzotica combo that needs a voodoo rythmist? A monster-surf-drag band that needs a skin slapper? I'm willing to entertain just about anything as long as it's fun.

I'm in the San Fernando Valley and Mrs. Squid just happens to be a very fine electrical bassist. (and my favorite art groupie). I'm sure she could be recruited as well.

Just thought I'd get the ball rolling and see if there are any like-minded folks out there. Maybe just jam? Who knows.

mriddle are you still out there?

Feel free to PM as I don't watch the boards that closely.

squid

Wow, cool thread! I never saw it before. I'm a full time musician. Singer/sax player mainly, but I play other things too.

Here are my bands, "The Carl Ayotte Band" (4 piece and 7 piece for clubs and weddings) "The Lucky Buskers" a cappella doo wop, "Carl and Dean" Acoustic Duo where I sing and play acoustic guitar with an upright bass player, "All Summer Long" where I play bass in a Beachboy Tribute band, "Captain Morgan and the RumRunners" occasional club band, and I intend to put together a Tiki Band real soon and have already got a couple of guys together to play at my last Tiki Party. I'll mainly be playing uke and singing in that. My CD of original material I wrote, "Emotional Baggage Check" is available at ITunes.

http://www.carlayotte.com

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-09-22 22:36 ]

T

Aloha From Tropically Challenged Norway!

I have been working in the music industry for 20 years now as a singer-songwriter and producer. I usually work on many othe artists' recordings but my main projects are http://www.myspace.com/alohamountaingrooveband The Aloha Mountain Groove Band, which is an alt-roots-oriented groove collective that I use to play LOTS of LIVE gigs with throughout the wilds of the Norwegian fjordlands and backcountry;-) And the other more tiki-oriented Hawaii Project

http://www.myspace.com/renntiki which will be released here in Norway next month as: Renn Loa - http://www.rennloa.com. Although I'd originally released it in Hawaii, my European management wanted to release it under my name so now it's simply - although IF I get my way at all it will be Renn Loa & The Hawaii Project. More fitting actually as the latest incarnation will feature some of Norway's top jazz cats;-)

The recording actually features members of the Wondrously talented and magical keepers of the tiki flame: DON TIKI! I am truly HONORED to have them on my CD. Kit is definitely THE tiki ring master extraordinaire!

Would love to hear about and FROM all the other tiki bands out there that are working in the Exotica and Surf music genre and firmament.

[ Edited by: tikimon 2006-10-23 03:50 ]

[ Edited by: tikimon 2006-10-23 03:51 ]

VB

well I play theremin and bass. i use to play both in a band in Boston called the Electric logs doing tv and movie themes, Esquervel, lounge, exotica and song poems. everyone in the band always work with different other bands, so right now were on hold. I play bass these days with New Orleans based music, and I/'m working on a writingan album of theremin music.

von Buck

TM

On 2006-09-22 22:06, squid wrote:
I came across this old dead thread and thought it might be time to revive it.

Most of you know me as a designer/sculptor for Tiki Farm. But in another life.....

I'm a drummer/percussionist. Before sculpting took over my every waking moment, I was gigging professionally on a regular basis, and now the itch is getting unbearable to start up again. I've played many styles including prog rock, jazz (not that "smooth" garbage),rockabilly, western swing, psych, and even a Hendrix tribute band.

I toured and recorded with Richard Sinclair (ex Hatfield & The North, Caravan)and Pete Bardens (ex Camel). For those of you not famliar, these guys were both very influential in the British progressive rock scene of the late '60s - '70s.

Anyway...I've got the itch again! Anyone doing a Hokey Hapa Haole band that needs some percussion ala Spike Jones??? A Jazzotica combo that needs a voodoo rythmist? A monster-surf-drag band that needs a skin slapper? I'm willing to entertain just about anything as long as it's fun.

I'm in the San Fernando Valley and Mrs. Squid just happens to be a very fine electrical bassist. (and my favorite art groupie). I'm sure she could be recruited as well.

Just thought I'd get the ball rolling and see if there are any like-minded folks out there. Maybe just jam? Who knows.

mriddle are you still out there?

Feel free to PM as I don't watch the boards that closely.

squid

Let me just say that Squid is being a bit too modest here. This guy is probably one of the best drummers out there. A modern day Shelley Manne. I doubt there is anything he could not play!!

We were stunned when he played with us. Our jaws collectively hit the floor, and I am not easily impressed!

And I am a member of the Mensters, the most incredible african/island percussion ensemble
based in northern Wisconsin. Actually we are the only such ensemble based in northern
Wisconsin! There are three of us and we play mostly congas/bongos/djembe/ashiko/log and
slit drums/shakers/mai tais and margaritas/a little uke/sax/whistles/hunting grunts/etc.
We have a cd that will be finished soon and will post a thread if anyone is interested in
a follow-up to "Monkey Island."

D

I think I posted this idea once a long time ago, so I thought I would bring it up again. It might be fun to make a "Tiki Central" CD compilation to be only sold on TC...maybe the funds could go to TC to help pay the bills and keep it going. Just a thought.

M

Let me just say that Squid is being a bit too modest here. This guy is probably one of the best drummers out there. A modern day Shelley Manne. I doubt there is anything he could not play!!

We were stunned when he played with us. Our jaws collectively hit the floor, and I am not easily impressed!

I remember one time Dave had to do a gig when he was workin' with the Farm. His "nearly exact" (and humble) words were... "I've gotta go fill in for Mick Fleetwood tomorrow night". Truth.

TK

I play Ukulele, currently with a band consisting of Ukulele, keyboards, bass, slide guitar and drums. We released a demo/sampler a while back, but hope to have the full CD out after christmas. You can check us out here: http://www.tikiking.com/idol
We are still trying to figure out what to call our music, currently it is "punxotica noir"

CL

I'd buy it! So much talent here, great cause, no brainer. And I'd listen to it often too!

On 2006-10-31 15:50, Digitiki wrote:
I think I posted this idea once a long time ago, so I thought I would bring it up again. It might be fun to make a "Tiki Central" CD compilation to be only sold on TC...maybe the funds could go to TC to help pay the bills and keep it going. Just a thought.

D
dibroc posted on Fri, Nov 3, 2006 8:08 AM
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.