Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

spray foam insulation

Pages: 1 12 replies

Anybody ever build anything out of this evil shit?

I've used it to fill holes after removing wood rot in exterior beams. The problem is estimating what it's eventual size will be as it expands for a while after spraying it.

It's a sticky-ass mess also.

I was thinking more along art project lines.
Yes it is a sticky-ass mess...to say the very least. @&*%#

R
Rain posted on Mon, Oct 20, 2003 4:22 PM

what bong said.
also - if exposed to the elements, it WILL eventually degrade. i used it to do a really half-assed job of sealing up a wrecked minivan once, among various and sundry other projects.

JohnnieVelour made an incredible Lava Tiki Bar out of that stuff! It's really great! Hopefully he will post a picture of it. Imagine a tiki bar with the insulation carefully sprayed into 2" to 4" "balls" onto the front of the bar, then sprayed black and detailed with "flicker" lights. It looks like molten black lava and is really a great idea. My description is kind of crappy in comparison to how it came out...it's one of those things where you just have to see it!

Hey JV! Post a picture!

R
Rain posted on Mon, Oct 20, 2003 4:50 PM

that sounds pretty cool... no wind and rain to degrade it indoors, either.

it's always worth experimenting, Purple Jade - just don't get it in your hair or on your nails - it will not come out/off.

Too late...already got some in my hair, fortunately on the ends. And don't let it dry on your skin and then pull it off, it takes the skin with it. Yeowtch!

I make spiders out of it, and hang them from the eaves for the fall festival(PC)
Can't say hollo-weinie

S

Yeah, this stuff was made by the devil himself. It's expansion strength is really amazing. I used it to insulate the air gaps around a door once and it expanded so much it pushed the door jam tight all around the door and the next morning we couldn't get the door open. And yes it sticks to whatever it comes in contact with. If superglue worked this good my experiments in home dentistry would've been alot less costly!
If it's allowed to free flow and dry, it'll do cool organic type shapes, but try to coerce it into doing what you want it too and you're gonna pay. If you're anything like me you're gonna try it anyways, so have fun!

H

You can buy it in different expansion strengths, so you may want to experiment with that. Definitely takes playing around with it a bit before you can use it practically (tho I've never considered using it for art purposes -- good idea!!).

Evil Shit? You must become more evil than it to get it to work.

Thanks SCD. I do get many compliments on my bar. Personally, I don't care for the flicker lights. I have been meaning to get some fake tropical plant to drape down the front.

Here are some pics when I first built it sometime 3 years ago. I'll get some more recent images up soon.

I used 4 cans of that stuff, plus a practice can. It wasn't too hard to work with, I just sprayed it on and the foam did the rest. Then I let it set up for a couple of days then spray-painted it black. It's held up great after all this time, some small breaking on the bottom side part from getting kicked.

On 2003-10-21 01:11, johnnievelour wrote:
Evil Shit? You must become more evil than it to get it to work.

Well, at least that implies there IS something more evil than me...

But not for long BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

P.S. I am using this to make the focus of my Halloween decorations, the theme of which I never reveal until that night. That way if it doesn't work, I can switch to Plan B. I WILL conquer this heinous foam beast. Resistance is futile.

P.P.S. I like that bar. I may have to appropriate that idea somehow in the future.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-10-21 09:12 ]

OK five cans of evil shit and three bottles of acetone nail polish remover later, and I have a reasonable approximation of what I originally intended. Pics Nov.1st!

Pages: 1 12 replies