Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Project:Pimento - Theremin Exotica in San Francisco

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hi People,

New to the group. My band, Project:Pimento, plays exotica/lounge four or five times a month in San Francisco. The band is led by theremin virtuoso Robbie Virus.

We play the last Thursday of every month at The Bamboo Hut on Braodway (featuring ... bamboo ... and a big ol' Tiki God). We also plat at other places like the Rite Spot, Odeon, Bruno's. Check http://www.projectpimento.com for schedule.

Shameless self-promotion by ...

Hey! Any news on a Northwest tour? Or even a cd? I've been heartily enjoying the mp3s from your website. :)

Aloooooha!

Hey, thanks for asking. We have had some discussions with a couple different parties about playing in Portland sometime, but nothing firm right now.

We are recording a CD next month, which will be available in the Fall. In the meantime, I'll be adding some live tracks to our website this week. Glad you're enjoying the mp3s!

I'm still very interested in promoting a Portland show, and I'll bet my Minister of Propaganda (sorry Frenchy, I like that title better) would be a big help too. I'd really like to make it a big Polynesian Pop evening at Jasmine Tree (Alibi won't allow live music, period), with maybe some dancers and perhaps even some merchandise for sale (BOT, Tiki Farm, etc.) Let's keep talking about this!

Sounds great to me. You probably talked with Mark about this, I'm guessing. I don't know all the details of the conversation. Anyway I love Portland and think it would be fun to play a tiki room there. First we gotta finish this CD, though. Then we'll be ready to get out if town! Thanks!

Hey, Mark - that sounds like a splendid idea! However, I know that we'll be hard-pressed to get the grunge-era city of Portland to glam up for the occasion! Still, I'm up for the challenge!

This Polynesian night idea sounds great. The Jasmine Tree would be a natural site.
Question for Tiki Maxton and His Minister of Propaganda: Have you ever participated in the Polka-Fools fests here in Portland? They
feature live music, no host bars, and general mayhem. If The Jasmine Tree isn't available, the Norse Hall on NE 11th and Couch St. or The Eagles Lodge up on about 50th and SE Hawthorne are venues these people used recently and might work for your project. If you need help, I'm in.
The polka-fools web site is: http://www.pdxpolka.com.

Tiki-Polka FUSION!!! :) I'm SOOOO there!

But seriously, the Eagles Lodge sounds like a FAB place - thanks for the suggestion! (WE could probably even get the Eagles themselves in on it - I just love getting the old folks and the young folks together at events like that). I will most definitely have to look into your polka event - if there's anything that I love as much as a good tiki bar, it's a rockin' polka par-tay!

Two out of the last three years the Polka party was at the Eagles Lodge. By the end of the evening, both times, I had my application in hand and was ready to join the Lodge. I even had a sponsor. In the sober light of the following mornings I reconsidered. But they really need some new blood to revitalize that organization. And what a tiki club house that could be!

Hey,Absolute Micheal. I meant to mention that at the last polka fools event, one of the featured bands was from San Francisco.
I thought they were hillarious; tailor-made for that event. Perhaps cohorts of yours? If you are curious check the web link on an above post.

YEs indeedy, the Eagles are a real barrel of monkeys... I mean EAGLES. I grew up hanging around the various lodges (my family did traveling magic shows) and I learned that the favorite pasttimes of Lodge members are: Barbecue, Polka, Prime-Rib Night, and Heavy Drinking. It's all VERY post-post modern, and it's time that a few fez-wearing whippersnappers started joining up. Plus, the interiors of those places CAN rival even the best retro bars. :)

On 2002-07-25 16:00, mrtikibar wrote:
Have you ever participated in the Polka-Fools fests here in Portland? They
feature live music, no host bars, and general mayhem.
The polka-fools web site is: http://www.pdxpolka.com.

That's AWESOME! I'm so bummed we missed this year's event, what with my favorite SF polka band, Polkacide, headlining! I love their admission structure, too - $8.99, or $16.99 for PIBs (Persons In Black)! What is it about this town and colorful clothing, anyway? If I see one more Gap clone at a bar I think I'll scream!

Anyway, Maggie's family is Polish and Polka was a big part of her upbringing. We love it, even though I have 2 left feet...

I think you have stumbled across something here. There are lodges across America that need new blood. I have wondered where it would come from. Perhaps the ranks of cutting-edge tikiphiles and neo-Modernists are tailor-made for this!

If you explore the Polka Fools website, the very last photo in the Polka Fools 2000
album is my wife, Kitty (Blue Polka dress and polka dot belt)dancing with my friend, Bert, who chose to wear black and face the extra cover charge. Do the Eagles need this sort of new blood????

You bet! And I've found that if the younger folks appear at least a little interested (and don't have too many outward piercings, mohawks, or kool-aid colored hair) they are welcomed in lock, stock and barrel. :)

i love the pimentos, what a great sound!

Thanks Inky!

Pages: 1 16 replies