Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Value of Witco Fountain?

Pages: 1 19 replies

JT

I recently came across a Witco Fountain about 8 ft tall with a 3 stage waterfall in a local watering hole. They might be interested in selling this but I had no idea the approximate value. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

If you can get it for around $500 or less, take it!

Wait, wait, wait a minute. First things first. What is the name of the bar and what is the address???;)

JT

I have sudden memory loss!!

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Oct 22, 2003 5:08 PM

i remember Keigs sold one of his repro fountains on ebay at it was i think 4 ft tall and sold for $1000. So for a 8ft original I would pay $1000 eazy for it! I would offer them $500 and see what they say.

take some pics if you get it. GO GET IT!

Whoa Jax! Hold on a sec....

Personally, I'd never start with $500 right off the top. Ask them (without being overly enthusiastic...and hopefully you haven't been already): "What amount would you feel comfortable selling it for?". Let THEM give you a price. Don't give up if they say "I don't know" the first couple of times. If for some reason, they absolutely won't give you a price and want YOU to come up with a price, then say (in a "Wally from 'Leave it to Beaver" way): "Gee, I dunno...$200?" Then, if they immediately respond back with "No way!" or the like, then, in their mind they DO have a price, and then let them tell YOU what they want. If they think about it for a minute without an immediate negative response, then you are in the ball park with a price they are comfortable with. If they say $300, then it's your call on either taking it, or you can really press it and say "hmmm....is that the absolute final price or would you meet me 1/2 way and take $250?". Negotiate slowly. Make sure it's just you and the person without a bunch of people around. You don't want the seller there thinking in their head "yeah, $200 is good", and then have their friend blurt out "Geez, no way, you could get more", even if the "friend" has no idea as to what it's worth. The seller will then, most likely, go with what their friend says, and will hold out for more. Just make sure it's you two there. Keep $200 in one pocket, $300 in the other...and have your truck ready to take it right then! If he gets you up to the $500 price from your original $200 offer, then he'll feel like the big negotiator. If he takes the $200, then you've got a great deal, and remember it's a price HE/SHE feels comfortable with.

Sounds funny, almost stupid, the way I have it here in written form, but believe me, it works. I've done it many a time. Although, I must admit, I have had lots of practice in many negotiations and (caution: bragging ahead-->) I do have some finesse in negotiating. Just stay cool about it. Of course, now I can NEVER do it to any TC'er! (HA!)

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Good Luck!

P.S. Gecko would still be paying a good price at $1000 for an original Witco Fountain at 8 feet in height with the 3-stage waterfall...of course, depending on it's condition.

If that Sven-Miester-Brau-Rocktoberfesten ever comes out with that Witco Book.................cha-ching!!!!

p.s. Just look what happened with TIKI?
(if it wasn't for that book, 3/4's of you would still have mullets!)

p.s.s. I got me a Custom Witco bar and 2 stools that is waiting for that day.

(actually, it's Mrs. Boo's. I forgot. :(

(lost it in a bet a while back)

p.s.s.s. Jax, get it anyway you can! Then store it!

R

SugarCaddyDaddy that is probably the best explanations I have ever seen in one paragraph on the art of price negotiations! I have bought stuff in bazars and markets all over the world and it is always the other guy you want to name the price first. I have even used the several amounts of money in different pockets technque many times. :wink: Another ploy is to look at other things (if you are in a market, store etc.) and ask about those items first even when you have ABSOLUTLY no interest in buying them. If you look too keen, they'll turn up the steam!

Hey jax tiki , I was wondering if you were from jacksonville, florida. If so let me know when you buy the witco fountain. I have never seen one in person and I am curious on how it looks. thanks ...neptune tiki...

On 2003-10-22 22:27, RevBambooBen wrote:
p.s. Just look what happened with TIKI?
(if it wasn't for that book, 3/4's of you would still have mullets!)

Hey! I resent that! (It's not a Mullet, that's just how it looked when my mohawk grew out.)

JT

On 2003-10-22 21:43, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Whoa Jax! Hold on a sec....

Personally, I'd never start with $500 right off the top. Ask them (without being overly enthusiastic...and hopefully you haven't been already): "What amount would you feel comfortable selling it for?". Let THEM give you a price. Don't give up if they say "I don't know" the first couple of times. If for some reason, they absolutely won't give you a price and want YOU to come up with a price, then say (in a "Wally from 'Leave it to Beaver" way): "Gee, I dunno...$200?" Then, if they immediately respond back with "No way!" or the like, then, in their mind they DO have a price, and then let them tell YOU what they want. If they think about it for a minute without an immediate negative response, then you are in the ball park with a price they are comfortable with. If they say $300, then it's your call on either taking it, or you can really press it and say "hmmm....is that the absolute final price or would you meet me 1/2 way and take $250?". Negotiate slowly. Make sure it's just you and the person without a bunch of people around. You don't want the seller there thinking in their head "yeah, $200 is good", and then have their friend blurt out "Geez, no way, you could get more", even if the "friend" has no idea as to what it's worth. The seller will then, most likely, go with what their friend says, and will hold out for more. Just make sure it's you two there. Keep $200 in one pocket, $300 in the other...and have your truck ready to take it right then! If he gets you up to the $500 price from your original $200 offer, then he'll feel like the big negotiator. If he takes the $200, then you've got a great deal, and remember it's a price HE/SHE feels comfortable with.

Sounds funny, almost stupid, the way I have it here in written form, but believe me, it works. I've done it many a time. Although, I must admit, I have had lots of practice in many negotiations and (caution: bragging ahead-->) I do have some finesse in negotiating. Just stay cool about it. Of course, now I can NEVER do it to any TC'er! (HA!)

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Good Luck!

P.S. Gecko would still be paying a good price at $1000 for an original Witco Fountain at 8 feet in height with the 3-stage waterfall...of course, depending on it's condition.

Thanks for the advise. Originally I was going to say "How much do you want for that $1000 fountain?", but this changes everything!

In all seriousness...thanks for the advise.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Oct 23, 2003 3:30 PM

my bad, just as SCD sed, start lower in da price. Being I was using your money I was all ready to spend your $500 on the fountain and get me a six pack of Hinano beer and a girl with really big bags of groceries.

Hafa dai (Guams version of Aloha)

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.