Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Just in from the headhunter tiki carving region of the Philippines and...

Pages: 1 12 replies

R

I brought back a bunch of wooden tiki masks and statues. Several I had custom made, and all very kewl. I have taken some pictures with the digital camera, but I've forgotten how to write the html code to post them. Can someone help me out?

Rattiki, it's kind of a long process but it's worth it. Click on the "Help/FAQ" above. Then click on "Uploading and Embedding Images". The directions are there. Looking forward.
Once you've created an account on Shutterfly be sure to view your image, which will then make it larger. That's the one you'll want to create a URL for here on TC. Not the smaller image.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-10-22 20:25 ]

R

R

Well that was pretty easy so hear is the rest. That piece above was one I bought that were already made when I got there, but there were only six in the whole village as far as I could find. I mailed one (along with a few other masks) to some friends I made in White Beach, Mindoro to put on their beach side, bamboo, nipa hut style bar and I'll keep one so I'll have only 4 to put up for grabs on ebay.

This is also a piece that was already made and I only brought back 4 of them, one I'll keep.

This I had made up custom, well actually I had made 4 drawings and picked out 3 for them to make, but somehow they got a hold of this 4th one and had made it before I knew it. So I said I would pay them for just the one as I had not been satisfied with the drawing, but when it was finished (sanded, stained and waxed) I was really impressed that such a simple piece looked so nice (IMO). Sorry though, I only have one for me.

Not the greatest picture but this is inspired by the fireplace in the old Kahiki, and it looks very kewl in hand (IMHO). I had 6 or 7 of these made so I will have 4 or 5 up for grabs soon.

Of these 3 statues the one to the left is a headhunter and are quite common there (I may put one up for grabs). The one in the middle is a bit more uncommon, but I picked up a couple so I will probably off one of them. The one on the right was a statue I had made, well actually someone else had asked the carvers to make one about 4 feet tall. The commissioning buyer had only given the carver a 5 inch tall version of it to copy. It was quite a feat to do I thought! So when I saw it I quickly asked if he could rush carve me one at 20 inches high as I was leaving the very next day at 5 PM. He pulled off (for a few extra dollars), but I only have the one I'll keep. BUT if you guys like it I am pretty sure I could have more made.

This 'savage' piece was inspired from the menu cover of the Palm's Tiki Bar found in The Book of Tiki on page 156. I say inspired as we were TRYING to make an exact replica, but it was the hardest of the custom work to get just right. I think they did a good job and the second one down was done by a very fine carver so the detail work is excelent, but he did it with out the correct dimensions. Anyway I have one of the second piece and 3 or 4 of the first to off.

Last, but not least, this custom, bone-in-nose canibal piece that I drew from just my mind's eye of several different Tikis I have seen about. It is my favorite piece and the hardest to carve. The carver also did the second savage piece. He has a great eye for detail and took great care in his work. I have only 4 of these to sell.

R

Anyway I hope you all like the stuff and any constructive critisizm is welcome. I am going to flog it on ebay to see what the market is like. BUT if I get a good response and some of you are interested, I could hold a few pieces from the next order (if all works out) to sell direct to Tiki Central members for a set reasonable price so they don't have to fight some punter for them. :wink:

Oh yeah, all the masks are 16 inches high and around 8 inches wide except the first one at the top which is 14 inches tall.

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-10-22 21:29 ]

S

Very nice carvings. I think I liked the first one the best. So where in the Phillipines were you?

C

I like the first one a lot, it has the elegant look of an Area 51 alien. Hmmm. I also like the middle statue and the bone-in cannibal. I'll pass on the statue but am interested in the other two.

Wow...that's impressive. My people made that.

Lot's of good carving is coming out of the PI these days. Rell Sun's daughter - Jan - has a business importing nara wood furniture that is really superb.

Nara wood is koa's kissing cousin.

R

On 2003-10-22 21:43, seamus wrote:
Very nice carvings. I think I liked the first one the best. So where in the Phillipines were you?

I was mostly in Puerto Galera, Mindoro which is a bunch beautiful beachside villages strung along the north coast of the island just south of Luzon. And I was in Banaue, Ifugao which is where the ancient headhunting tribes built amazing rice terraces cut right out of the sides of the mountains about 3000 years ago. They also traditionally carve rice gods and other deities out of wood to look over their rice fields and dwellings. This has recently turned into a good industry for them as they carve many of the items you now see being sold in Thailand (elephant stools etc,) and wooden Native American 'Indians' which are sold for a fortune in places like Scottsdale, AZ.

The other thing I saw of tiki interest in the P.I. was bamboo furnature which is stupid cheap and of good quality. A full living room set (2 chairs, 2 side tables, 1 love seat, 1 coffee table and a tall lamp, all bamboo) started at less than $50 and went up to only $75 for higher quality 'export grade'. Beds were $25-$50 and there were bamboo bars, tall bar stools, thatch gazebos, bookcase/shelving and the lot. The thing is the shipping can add a lot of cost.

Also I saw and photographed a lot of 'traditional' style uses of bamboo and woven matting for bars. One cool idea that was utilized often (and I have not seen this before) was mounting a 2-3 inch diamater piece of bamboo into the bars ceiling which had cuts made into it so that you could insert stemed glasses to hang down above you. Very Kewl!

Great stuff - I would be very interested in one of the Kahiki masks.
Thanks. [email protected]

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Oct 24, 2003 5:20 PM

oh yes the Filipino carvers are some of da bes in da world! Looks like you got some great deals. I'll be making a trip in March to see some couzins and party, gotta do some buisness to. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I personally love it there to.

Bong, you're right on brah bout da Narra wood! dats da Filipino version of Koa and is getting harder to get now! I'll be looking fo da kine wen i go back in March.....Its party time! I love to pa tey in da P.I!!

what happen to my hapa and full Filipino cuzins here on TC! I miss readin your post! Poly, Hula Hula, and now Monitors....altough Chiki isnt he kills me wit da Filipino language! I'll see da tree of you on da isla next month ya?...Chiki,Hula,Pop?

Salamat pare and aloha

R

Yeah the P. I. is always a good time and easier to relate to than Thailand. I would be more than happy to have a tiki bar and grill on the beach in Puerto Galera, with lots of 'hula' girl barmaids :D

BTW I put one of the alien looking masks up on ebay already.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2865308908&category=553

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-10-24 21:37 ]

Pages: 1 12 replies