Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

okolehao, anyone got a lead,1/5/05- article on new production of the spirit pg 2

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

i did do the TC footwork, and was not able to find a thread about this spirit. if there was one, i apologize for the redundancy.
being an irish and blended whiskey fan, i instantly fell in love with okolehao. i have been given two samplings of it, and can not find it. mike sr. at tiki ti said that it was actually produced in california, but was only available in hawaii. i did some research, but was not able to track down the manufacturer here. i have also been told that it was recently discontinued, but that they still produce the liqueur. the liqueur tastes nothing like the spirit, being a sweet version with the root flavor almost completely removed.
i thought i would put it up to TC, see if the international community knows a source, or at least an old liquor store that may have backstock. not having a lot of hope, but it is worth a try.

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-05 14:53 ]

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-05 17:52 ]

A couple of years ago I was walking around Waikiki looking for some oke. No one had even heard of the stuff. A year later I picked this up at a specialty liquor store. Oke is a distilate of the root of the Ti plant, this liquer is made from whiskey and the Ti plant. I have seen cool Okolehao decanters on Ebay. They look like Hula girls and King Kamehameha. Sometimes they are unopened, I have yet to buy one. Hey try the search engine again, (sp Okolehao). I found this article and a few other mentions of this spirit.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=777&forum=1

Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2003-10-25 00:51 ]

thanks al,
typed the search in TC, but nothing had come up as a thread, let me know how you found it. will continue the search for this spirit, its worth it.
p.s. does that store in oceanside still carry the liqueur?

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2003-10-25 00:58 ]

A

I got this bottle in Waikiki. I haven't seen it anywhere else. Whaler's Rum supposedly distributes it. Oh, you spelled Okolehao wrong in the search.
Mahalo,
Al

al,
spelled it right, but no points for this loooser because i have been doing searches in in the wrong search box. told you i was not a computer type. three triple dirty martinis (with a squirt of pepperoncini infused vinegar) has not been helping the research skills this evenin.

aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! #4

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2003-10-25 01:49 ]

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 25, 2003 2:07 AM

I was digging around and came up with this interesting link:
http://www.kevdo.com/maitai/harryyee.html
For sale but not in English:
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:SNrWfjyuitcJ:www.curio-city.com/alohagift/7047/55711.html%20%20%22Okolehao%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Also, kept getting referred to bishopbrands.com but the site is not up yet.
And this cake recipe sounds kind of hot!
http://homepage.mac.com/billgreene1/cgreene/GrammarExamB.html

ses,
thanks, thats great stuff. the bottle shown in the one link is blurry, but i think that ti is also the liqueur. if i can find a bottle of the spirit, im doin some cookin.

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 25, 2003 2:36 AM

Could ask your local specialty liquor store if they could get it for you if you can't find it anywhere else.
Maybe they might supply a good reason why it's scarce too if they can't get it.

hey ses,
tried vendome, a large and fairly knowledgeable liquor and brew joint, but they had not heard of it. will keep searching.(been nagging them about carrying sebor brand absinthe, legal in the states because the alcohol content is lower, but the thujon count is higher)

S

Yes, someone needs to make Beachbum Barry stop putting these ingredients in his recipes that you cannot find! Or he could get with some folks and come out with Barry's Own of these things that we can all order from!

This is alspice berry time. If you are gonna find it, I bet they are around now to make that pimento liquor!

S

[ Edited by: swanky on 2003-10-25 19:33 ]

You all should try to see the 1937 Bing Crosby Film "Waikiki Wedding". Marytha Raye does a number called "Okolehao". Bing also sings "Blue Hawaii","Sweet Leilani" and In a Little Hula Heaven",

Dagnabbit!!!
Someone was selling a bottle of the stuff on eBaby just last week in the cute little "Topless Hula Decanter." I let it slip by and it sold for, I believe, around $14.00. I'll know better next time.

Traitor Vic,
that would have been worth it. it sounds like the spirit version is long gone, and the liqueur is definitely a different beast.
my only hope lies in finding a treasure in an old liquor store, a few dust covered bottles that the owner had forgotten about. if anyone has the opportunity to try okolehua, meaning the full strength spirit, go for it. the search continues.....

I have the okolehao hula girl decanter. I bought it empty, but the cork on it was pretty cruddy -- I can't imagine that those decanters did a very good job of keeping their contents in good shape. Worth tryin' if you see it again, tho -- I think $14 is a not-terrible price just for the decanter.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-10-26 00:12 ]

P

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Jun/01/ln/ln05a.html

I posted this a couple months back, but no word yet on how close it is to being attainable.

If I remember correctly - it's the same people that did the "liquer."

S

Gecko ought to be able to find a moonshine still in Hawaii that is still making the stuff the old fashioned way. Just a few bottles for the old timers...

I read the article Pablus referred to, and a Google search turned up this link:

http://www.sandwichislandsdistilling.com/

Just a placeholder now, but it does say "Bringing Okolehao Back to the World" and has a email contact.

I have sent an email, and will post any replies I recieve.

Here's to our livers!
:drink: :drink: :drink:

[ Edited by: makemake on 2003-10-26 10:17 ]

[ Edited by: makemake on 2003-10-26 10:33 ]

bless you makemake, please keep us informed. when it comes out, maybe we can get a group order together.
i didnt even think to discuss it with jeff berry, i run into him occasionally. ill ask if he has a source.

O

Just found this article at spiritofaloha.com, some of the same info in the article link above but this has some dates for release:

Other good drinking news this issue comes from our far-flung correspondent Phil Hayworth, who reports that a former president of the company that owns Jack Daniels will commercially produce the famed, potent Hawaiian beverage called 'okolehau (pronounced oko-lay-how) and sell it only in Hawai'i. According to Steven Thompson, president of Sandwich Islands Distilling, the first 5,000 cases of this drink, which was once outlawed as a bane to society, will roll off a temporary bottling line at an old sugar mill in Pa'ia in April 2005. By April 2006, the distillery plans to open a permanent plant and showroom near Kïhei and distribute to the Mainland. According to Hayworth, who is a connoisseur of the famed beverage, 'okolehau is a clear, smooth rum or brandylike whisky, which gets its base flavor from the local ki plant. Its potency depends on how much sugar cane and/or rice is added. The new drink will come in 80- and 140-proof versions, aged in used bourbon barrels. "The formula will be the original, but our 'okolehao will also be filtered through a secret filtering medium available only in Hawai'i," says Thompson. 'Okolehao, by the way, means "iron bottom," after the vats in which it was originally made, which were intended for boiling whale blubber. Here's to ya.

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-05 14:47 ]

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-05 14:48 ]

K
Kono posted on Wed, Jan 5, 2005 5:35 PM

That's great news. I've been wanting to try okolehao ever since I got Grog Log and Intoxica. I actually do have the King Kamehameha decanter sealed. But I haven't wanted to open it because a) it's such a small amount (1/8 pint) that you'd hardly get to taste it and it'd be gone and b) who knows how well it aged in that decanter. A few years ago someone gave me a bottle of 25 or 30yo Jim Beam. The bourbon wasn't aged in a barrel that long, this guy just had a case of this old bourbon sitting in his house. It really did not taste very good at all. Yeah, I drank it but it was really harsh had almost a pure grain taste to it.

I'd love to get some newly distilled old style okolehao. Of course I'll have to mail order it from California. Guaranteed it won't be available in Florida.

K

This is great news. Now I'm even more excited to be returning to Hawaii in 2006!

Ahu

DZ

On 2003-10-25 00:50, Alnshely wrote:
A couple of years ago I was walking around Waikiki looking for some oke. No one had even heard of the stuff. A year later I picked this up at a specialty liquor store.

Internetwines.com used to carry this same brand of Oke - I just got mine from them over the summer. They still have it listed on their website, but I can't tell if it's still available. I think it was about $25.00 plus shipping from Illinois for a 750ml bottle.

According to the label, it is:
"prepared and bottled for Hawaiian Distillers Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii by Hawaiian Distilled Products Co., Mira Loma, California"

O

Doctor Z,
That is a bootle of the liqueur which is quite different from the spirit. The flavors are not even close; the spirit goes down like a smooth rye and the liqueur is sweet, almost herbal tasting, like a very sweet chartreuse. It has been at least three years since I drank either, but this is what i recall from a side by side taste test.
The spirit is a real treat, definitely having it own flavor. If you like whiskey you will definitely appreciate the spirit.

DZ

Ahhhh... I see... thanks for the enlightenment!

I've been using the 'liqueur' all along in the 2 "Intoxica" recipes that call for it and they still taste fine to me! I do find it kind of unusual that Jeff Barry would suggest using either brandy or Martinique rum as a substitute for something that tastes like whiskey...

I actually do have a small ('Less than 1/2 pint') unopened bottle of real Okolehao (80 proof - "Produced & Bottled by Hawaiian Distillers, Honolulu, HI"), but I'm reluctant to break the seal on it, 'cause I think it's kinda old and I bought it for the bottle. Besides, if it's anything like the way you describe it, I'm afraid I might like it too much and it would all be gone after a drink or two and then where would I be?

BTW - I did a taste test with chartreuse (both green & yellow - straight, blecch!) and good rye (Old Portrero), and while I agree it does definitely have sweet/herbal undertones, I think the oke 'liqueur' more closely resembles the rye than either of the Chartreuses. But then again, I'm not a big fan of chartreuse, and I looooove rye!

I wonder how actual okelehao would taste in a Sazerac?
Hmmm...
Maybe I will open that little bottle after all...

K

On 2005-01-05 19:02, Doctor Z wrote:

Internetwines.com used to carry this same brand of Oke - I just got mine from them over the summer. ...but I can't tell if it's still available.

Nope. I'll save ya the trouble of emailing them. Oke liqueur is no more as far as they tell me. They said it was being "reformulated" and had no further info.

This was three months ago.

Ahu

Here is a past thread with a classic recipe book from Trader Pup.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5472&forum=1

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jan 7, 2005 4:27 PM

Here is a more recent article. here

M

Old Portrero: Good taste as always, Dr. Z

Come on up to SF and we'll do the Anchor Brewery Tour, and you can talk to them more about Old Portrero.

Hiya Kids:

Good News! As you know, LeVecke Corporation produced a version of Okolehao, for a period of time, in their facilities in southern California.  I finished my last bottle over the week-end. I spoke to the operations Manager of Sandwich Islands Distilling Corporation, Bob Gunter, about the NEW okolehao and will keep everyone in the loop as to its' launch.

Sandwich Islands Distilling Corporation has established a distillery in Maui and will re-introduce, what we believe to be an authentic formulation of Okoleaho, to the in early fall of this year. They also have plans to produce other high-proof spirits made from indigenous Hawaiian products, including RUM.  They have a distributor for Okolehao in Hawaii, but have not yet firmed-up any distribution agreements for the U.S. mainland.

I am working on helping to secure Distribution channels for the REAL Oke, so stay tuned.

Sandwich Islands
Distilling Corporation
Pa'ia, Maui, Hawaii

Before the Revolution, the per capita consumption of RUM in the Colonies was 3.7 gallons PER person. We have become a Neo-temperant nation of wimps and quitters! We must rise, Tiki Nation, and raise our ceramic mugs in resistance to teatotaling!

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-16 13:22 ]

S

That's old news. They have been talking about this for ages and never yet got a bottle out. I am doubting they will ever make any.

Perhaps the old oke brand from LeVecke is OLD News, Swank, but this product is not that to which you are referring. Trust me, these folks have invested quite a bit a money on the NEW oke brand to not carry it through. They already have everything in place for the launch and I am talking with them directly not reading press releases.

We'll have to see, and after I get the samples I'll report back. Steve Thompson is the former president of Brown Foreman (you know..JACK DANIELS). He is not some fly by night operator, he is a major spirits insider and my money is on him, his resources, and his network. This man will not allow this venture to flop. It will happen.

Before the Revolution, the per capita consumption of RUM in the Colonies was 3.7 gallons PER person. We have become a Neo-temperant nation of wimps and quitters! We must rise, Tiki Nation, and raise our ceramic mugs in resistance to teatotaling!

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2005-08-16 14:12 ]

S

Read the article posted in that thread and look at the dates. If this was happening, it should have happened long ago.

It souonds great. Real oke made with an old recipe and full proof. I just gave up hope a long time ago when it has been years and nothing happening.

i think it was just something thrown out to get some attention.

Yes, there have been delays, but these are not resource short delays. A big part was the local government. Take Arizona..if someone want to open a distillery here, they would have to get the law changed. While distillation was not illegal, it was a challenge. The other problem with real oke production is the Ti.

There was not enough sustainable Ti for continuous distillation, initially, and that is being resolved by paying farmers to produce more distillates.

After I get my samples and I taste what it will be..I will give an earnest thumbs up or down. By the way, I love your music show. Listen to it every night.

S

I certianly hope they get this stuff going. I need a couple of bottles in my bar! I'm tired of searching Ebay for vintage bottle with their contents intact.

I spoke to Steve this morning, and here is the update straight from the BIG Horses Mouth. The Okolehao that everyone knows was made in Mira Loma, California and distributed in Hawaii only by Paradise Beverages.

Sandwich Islands Distillers Corp. purchased the name and trademark from Hawaiian Distillers 4 years ago. The product on ebay is a liqueur and some bottles are still available in Hawaii. They had to stop selling since the label alludes that the product was produced in Hawaii.

In any event we have just completed building a new distillery in Paia on Maui and are in the process of making a real Okolehao by fermenting ti root, sugar from sugar cane, and breadfroot which was the moonshine formula originally made after the visit from Captain Cook to the Sandwich Islands in the late 1700.

In any event, this brand will be called Nine Islands Okolehao. They will also be making the Okolehao "whiskey-based" liqueur that everyone has seen or purchased prior only it will be made in Hawaii. I will be brokering BOTH of these products, and I implore veryone to go to their favorite bottle shop and ask them to stock these liqueurs. Then you have to buy them! Or it will certainly become discontinued, and a mysterious relic of Tiki cocktail mania. All the links of the adult beverage chain have to prosper for a liqueur to make it..supplier...importer...wholesaler...retailer.

When the end line consumer buys the product it becomes sustained.

This is truly exciting news. I will hound several top NYC liquor stores to get this when it is available. After all, my paycheck practically gets direct-deposited there.

Too funny Urban Tiki..and too close to home, as well.

Shucks, I stopped in Paia for breakfst at Charleys a couple weeks
ago on vacation. I would have tracked down the distillery for a
tour if I'd have known about this.

yeah, rum, any new news?
I will talk to my contact at Vendome when the time comes, and have a friend in distribution in Georgia as well

D

On 2005-08-16 13:21, Rum Numb Davey wrote:

I am working on helping to secure Distribution channels for the REAL Oke, so stay tuned.

any word on this stuff? we're going to hawaii, and will look for Okolehao and Maui Rum..

D

we found a fantastic tiny liquor store (Tradewinds Market) in Ma'alaea ~ the owner, Jill helped us find out the status of this booze.. its still not in production.

oh well.. i did pick up 5 bottles of Maui rum..

Hi. Just joined and saw your note about Okolehao. I am with Sandwich Islands Distilling Company in Maui. We are just starting up production of our brand -- Nine Islands Okolehao. Should be in the market around this summer in Hawaii. I'd be happy to answer any questions about Okolehao.

Nine Islands Okolehao is not like the old product you show pictured. That was a cordial - very sweet -- sort of like Southern Comfort - nothing like REAL Oke.

Nine Islands is based on actual recipes we got from people in Hawaii who had made it as moonshine. It's key ingredient is the root of the Ti plant, which is fermented with other ingredients to make a real 80 proof spirit. Tastes a little like tequila and rum, with hints of sake and pineapple. Truly unique and great for sipping, shooting, or mixing.

I'll let you know when we start rolling it out.
Roy

S

Really? You are really starting to produce it? I read the article ages ago and that said production was starting way back then. I would love to see this made. The real deal, not the liqueur. I watch Ebay for old bottles to surface, but so do many others who are willing to pay a lot more than I am. Put me down for a case!

K

Yes, please keep us updated. You have an order for a case here as well.

Ahu

M
mbanu posted on Thu, Jul 6, 2006 8:49 AM

Any news? :)

That bottle went for $95

Pages: 1 2 71 replies