Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

okolehao, anyone got a lead,1/5/05- article on new production of the spirit pg 2

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

I believe that many members here are anxious and with good reason. However, it takes many months to navigate the liquor production trade and compliance with BAT and local goverments. If this Oke will be available in your market depends entirely on your local state distributors or if your state allows internet shipping.

If the product will make it depends on conumer demand and marketing. A few thousand Tiki drink enthusiasts clamoring for your product does not make a brand, when you need to see thousands of cases to show real profit and recover your investment. As a wine and spirits broker I have seen brands come and go, and it takes luck and consumer adaption.

When Sidney Frank first brought in Jaggermeister into US Market, it was a joke. Then punk rockers and frat boys took to it like crack addicts, and it took off. Grey Goose was also a failure initially, and sold for about two billion in the end. I hope Oke pays off and is a big success! Lately my efforts have been at launching Newfoundland Screech which I finally found a distributor for.

Just finished a bottle of Havana Club Anejo 3 Anos, which was excellantly suited for many rum cocktails!

[ Edited by: Rum Numb Davey 2006-07-27 11:39 ]

This stuff is going to explode like nobody's business. Think Hawaiian Jager. But you do need to actually make the stuff in order to sell it.

They stopped making this stuff long before I was old enough to (legally) drink. We had a bottle of the fake stuff in our liquor cabinet when I was growing up. My Dad remembers the real thing.

I've been hoping for most of my adult life that I would get a chance to taste the real thing, but as someone pointed out, you never see the real thing and even the fake stuff goes for $100 a bottle.

So, since I've been waiting all this time, I can wait a bit longer; but please, don't give up before the stuff hits the market. Oh yeah, and why the hell doesn't the distillery have a website? I realize there is some real talent and money in this project, but even if it were just a couple of hucksters it would still have a website. What's the deal?

S

Any word on whether this wonderful stuff is being produced?

L

On 2007-02-05 16:23, stickyii wrote:
Any word on whether this wonderful stuff is being produced?

yes, 'they' are working on it.

introduction of the product is dependent on many things.
"A few thousand Tiki drink enthusiasts clamoring for your product..."
would not be a factor.
Okolehao far predates the birth of all... uhhh howsit put... "Tiki drink enthusiasts"
and then the judgement when it's released; "aah, it's just fake stuff. not the real stuff. "

naaah. they are working on da real kine. not to worry.

oh, and don't "Think Hawaiian Jager."
faaarrr from it.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2007-02-05 22:10 ]

H

On 2007-02-05 22:07, lanikai wrote:
Okolehao far predates the birth of all... uhhh howsit put... "Tiki drink enthusiasts"

It also predates anybody that's alive...

So what's your point??

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 9:41 AM

I have a bottle coming from Hawaii. They tell me it is oke and in a white bottle. Easy to find. What it really is, I will know when it gets here.

The distiller is still not there I am told.Tiki Toa talked to him on the phone not too long ago.

Think "Hawaiian Cognac."

F

Why must I live in Alabama where you can't get any variety of liquor, nor can you get it shipped to you. I want to try some of this, and a lot of other things that I can't find anywhere or get shipped to me.

L

On 2007-02-06 08:50, Hakalugi wrote:

So what's your point??

I was alluding to the implication the producers might shift into high gear for a handful of what is referred to as tiki drink enthusiasts, when, upon production, it will have many countless adherents and loyal customers who remember the original and many who made the bootleg stuff back in the day.
I'm saying they need (and will have) much more than tiki drink enthusiasts to stay alive, especially when they may not even know what da heck a 'tiki drink" is...

H

On 2007-02-07 18:30, lanikai wrote:

On 2007-02-06 08:50, Hakalugi wrote:

So what's your point??

I was alluding to the implication the producers might shift into high gear for a handful of what is referred to as tiki drink enthusiasts, when, upon production, it will have many countless adherents and loyal customers who remember the original and many who made the bootleg stuff back in the day.
I'm saying they need (and will have) much more than tiki drink enthusiasts to stay alive, especially when they may not even know what da heck a 'tiki drink" is...

Uhh yeah, that's a given. But why would you point out that "Okolehao far predates the birth of all... uhhh howsit put... 'Tiki drink enthusiasts'" when in fact it predates everybody that's alive (including you).??
That's what I'm asking. What was your point of that statement?

L

On 2007-02-07 19:35, Hakalugi wrote:

my point is apparently just beyond your grasp, lugi that is hahk-ed.
fuggeddabouddit, argumentative haole. it was observational. jeez loueez. givitarest. move on.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2007-02-08 00:01 ]

H

On 2007-02-07 23:47, lanikai wrote:

On 2007-02-07 19:35, Hakalugi wrote:

my point is apparently just beyond your grasp, lugi that is hahk-ed.
fuggeddabouddit, argumentative haole. it was observational. jeez loueez. givitarest. move on.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2007-02-08 00:01 ]

"it was observational" ?

Well there you have it folks.

Hmmm, it wasn't very well thought out now was it.
Unless his intent was to be... uhhh howsit put...condescending.

And then he trys to dismiss the whole thing while throwing a "racial" slur.

Well, just so all of you reading this know who we are dealing with here, Lanakai is also known as Tiki Trader and the following thread is a must read:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=634&forum=1&start=0

Meanwhile to get back on topic:

My haole tastebuds are looking forward to some authentic Okolehao.

On 2007-02-09 10:33, Hakalugi wrote:
Meanwhile to get back on topic:

My haole tastebuds are looking forward to some authentic Okolehao.

That would make them OkoleHaole tastebuds.

A

Anyone know what happened to the Sandwich Islands Distillers and their Nine Islands Okolehao? Can't find much of anything on the web. Did the company go belly up?

W

Let's dredge this one up again! Any new leads please?

-W

B
Bambu posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 5:34 PM

Sandwich Isles Distillery has gone out of business. There is some possibility of Okolehao production occurring in the next few months. As soon as I know more, I will give all of you an update.

No personal attack toward you Bambu, but I will believe that when I taste it!

B
Bambu posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 8:32 PM

me too.

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Sep 28, 2009 10:31 PM

Well I watched the Three Sheets Hawaii tonight, and it reminded me of this long ago post.

Did some research sad to say, from what I can come up with is this. Kolani Distillers is suing Sandwich Islands Distillers. This was started in 2007 and is still in court on going.
I wonder if this is a trade secret thing or what. But sadly it may be some time before we get to see or taste any.

Just tried the new Maui 'Okolehao Liqueur from Haleakala Distillers. Ono stuff! A buddy coming back from Maui yesterday brought an exra bottle for me. I been waiting for this for a long time, but it has been worth it. I am trying to include a picture of the bottle (now empty)so you can see what it looked like. they say the stores carrying it are listed at http://www.haleakaladistillers.com

Haven't had a chance to find a bottle yet but I did see this article on the Maui News website..

http://mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/527105.html?nav=10

aloha

Got some at HiTime. It's quite vanilla tasting.

I just got a bottle.
It's in a wine bottle with a cork.
I have not tried it yet.
I gave Haleakala Distillers a call to ask the ratio of ti root that was in it, but they won't disclose that information.
The base is Maui cane sugar, so it could be anything.

I just saw some Maui Okolehau in Kapaa the bottle says it's 25% ti, 22% rice and 55% cane sugar.
Is it worth the 25 bucks bag check fee to bring this home?
The bottle cost is 25 also, I forgot to check the alcohol percentage though.
aloha all :drink:

On 2011-02-12 23:25, tikicoma wrote:
I just saw some Maui Okolehau in Kapaa the bottle says it's 25% ti, 22% rice and 55% cane sugar.
Is it worth the 25 bucks bag check fee to bring this home?
The bottle cost is 25 also, I forgot to check the alcohol percentage though.
aloha all :drink:

The Oke is good. But its not the same proof and doesn't taste similar to the old stuff, either the manufactured Oke or the original moonshine.

BUT, do not leave the island without scoring several bottles of Auntie Lilikoi's Passion Fruit syrup. You can either get it at her shop in Waimea or I think the Long's in Kapaa sells it. The best passionfruit syrup made.

And its a lot cheaper to go to the post office in Kapaa, get a free Aloha Box, and then mail it for the flat rate of $15.00. You can get several bottles in one of those boxes and you don't have to lug it on the plane. Oh and if you get the box you will have room for the Scotty's BBQ Tiki Farm mug (also in Kapaa). Not really a Tiki Mug but its a cool mug in the shape of one of those round Weber BBQ's.

Pages: 1 2 71 replies