Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Advice no one really needs

Pages: 1 25 replies

I just got home from the Irish pub I used to haunt. They were having an all Gaelic language concert, and I had nothing better to do, so I ventured back in. Being in a what-the-hell frame of mind, I decided to see what I'd get if I ordered a Mai Tai. What I got was something in a rocks glass so weak it couldn't fight its way out of a wet Kleenex.

LESSON: Don't order a Mai Tai in an Irish pub.

Ordering anything beyond Bushmills or Guiness
in an Irish pub is simply kissing the Blarney stone me lady. May the tiki rise to you! (Unga Bunga - hard core Irish)

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-10-26 01:51 ]

Too true, U.B.
I've noticed there's quite a bit of Celtic blood on board here. I've got more from Brittany and Galicia than Ireland. But just try to find a good Galician pub anywhere!

Sabu...Show your t*ts!

My friend went to Ireland and went to a pub and asked for a Budwieser. He was luck to get out of there alive!!!

S

I'll take Jamesons or Powers over Bushmills any day, but I'm with you on the Guinness!

On 2003-10-26 08:39, TikiGoddess wrote:
My friend went to Ireland and went to a pub and asked for a Budwieser. He was luck to get out of there alive!!!

When I was in Ireland, noticed that many pubs had Budweiser on tap. Didn't order it myself (I preferred Guinness and Smithwicks), but saw "locals" drinking it.

Did they serve it warm in a pint glass with a nice clerical head?

Hey, while we're not on anything near the subject, can anyone help me out with a little project? I'm trying to compile a list of hapa haole songs by composers of Irish descent. Anybody got anything?

On 2003-10-26 22:54, purple jade wrote:
Hey, while we're not on anything near the subject, can anyone help me out with a little project? I'm trying to compile a list of hapa haole songs by composers of Irish descent. Anybody got anything?

Well , here I tell you I'm hard core Irish, and I have never heard of "hapa haole"(?).

U.B.~
That's because "hapa haole" isn't an Irish term...it's "Hawaiian" music written by non-Hawaiians.
An example of what I'm looking for is Little Brown Gal written by Don McDiarmid.

Not only Irish, any of other Celtic descent will do.

TB

When the wife & I went to Ireland, I asked why bud was at every little pub. I was told that it is an import beer, & that alot of Irish like it....oh man!...any ways i definately like smithwicks, but can only get from canada.

purple jade wrote:
...I'm trying to compile a list of hapa haole songs by composers of Irish descent...

Does Ray Kinney qualify? He's not 100% Irish, but take a look anyway.

He counts. Thanks SCD.

A pint of Guiness in a good pub is certianely up there with a good Mai Tai at a Good tiki bar, we're blessed with both in South Fl.

drinking irish whiskey...........
advice you can use. whiskey, or for that matter, enough of any alcohol, and viewing Naqoyquatsi makes you want to torquemada, or in this case, me. i am going to make another, turn the film back on, and see how long i can make it.
(thought this fit on this thread, irish and advice)(but not irish advice, or large glass pipe organs)

Hey PJ, I'm surprised the bartender didn't say" you want me to make you a mai tai? I will in my eye!

Something I heard an Irish-man say once that I found very amusing:

The real reason the Irish hate the British is because teh Brits are FUNCTIONING alcoholics.

On 2003-10-27 09:48, Tiki Bird wrote:
When the wife & I went to Ireland, I asked why bud was at every little pub. I was told that it is an import beer, & that alot of Irish like it....oh man!...any ways i definately like smithwicks, but can only get from canada.

Smithwicks is being distributed in the US (at least in the DC area) since the beginning of this month. Word is Guinness sold Harp (?) and picked up Smithwicks, so it's likely to be seen at al the ol Irish places now. It may an improvement over Harp IMHO.

Thanks for info. Johnny, wow i find it hard to believe that Guiness sold Harp. But Smithwicks is a better beer, will look for.

S

The Pogues song "Sally MacLennane" is about a legendary stout (of the same name). I have done some searches looking for more info, but I have only found a recipe for home brewers. Does anyone know anything else about sweet Sally MacLennane?

Guiness first bought an interest in Smithwicks in the '50s, buying'em out completely in the late '80s. The last I heard, Guiness still owns Harp, but had sold Bass to Unibrau.

Having married and Irish woman and been to Ireland several times, I'd have to say the best beer there is either Beamish or McArdles if you like a stout...Harp there is unrecognizable as the same stuff you get here in bottle or draft. Best Irish Whiskey? Kilbeggan....$14 a bottle and doesn't taste like peat....

I ha' married an Irish woman too (well, Irish-American) but the closest we have gotten to Ireland is the irish section of Busch Gardens Williamsburg :P. We hope to go to Ireland soon. Until then we frequent James Joyce, Fado, Irelands Four Provinces, Irelands Four Courts, Sine, Galway Bay, the Baltimore Irish Festival...

related thread...
http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1064353538

'Rerun' R.I.P.

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-10-30 13:40 ]

TB

Well if Freddie is right about Bass, does that mean Irish Bars wont be able to serve black n tan beers?

On 2003-10-30 14:18, Tiki Bird wrote:
Well if Freddie is right about Bass, does that mean Irish Bars wont be able to serve black n tan beers?

Guiness wants you to order your Black & Tans with Guiness & Harp, not Guiness & Bass. Even when they owned Bass, PLC.

At least they're not making'em with Budweiser, Guiness is the importer of Bud into Ireland, Murphy's imports Miller Genuine Draft (I think they even brew it under license), and a 3rd company imports Coors. Together these 3 beers hold over 40% of the Irish beer market.

T

[i]On 2003-10-26 01:05, purple jade

LESSON: Don't order a Mai Tai in an Irish pub.

[/quote}

Hell, it's hard enough getting a good Mai Tai in a Tiki Bar...

Pages: 1 25 replies