Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Midnight there is a suffering bastard

Pages: 1 22 replies

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2123463517&rd=1

I just bought all those munktiki's so I am tapped out right now, but I know you really want it so I thought I'd be a good neighbor. Let me know if you plan to sell any more shag mugs in return.

Chris
:sheckymug:

M

Thanks TB,
Yep, me want'em Sufferin' Bastard, but am not going to get one. Least not on Ebay, I just cannot compete with some of the deep pockets. I could put my Shag mug money on one, but it's a principle. Bigbadtikidaddy just got a Sufferin B decanter for $2! Maybe I can get one for a reasonable (non ebay 3 digit) price. Maybe not, ha ha.

No more Shag mugs for sale. I knew I should of bought more than the two I did get.

Thanks for thinking of me,
midnite

of course, if you really want to do a potential buyer a favor DON'T POST THE AUCTION ON TIKI CENTRAL!
now if you're selling, this is the place to announce and increase interest.. for example... I soon will be listing 2 giant witco pieces, entitled Melanesian Man and Women, certified Witco by sven... Perfect to hang on either side of a doorway. :)

W

Probably impossibe to pin down, but when did this mug pick up the nickname "Suffering Bastard"? The name fits it perfectly, but as you can see on pg 92 of the BoT it's a Mai Tai mug (though "other unusual rum drinks" are allowed).

(This isn't a "That's not what it's called!" rant, I believe in clarity of communication over "proper" terminology. The whatzit should work when you jiggle the thingy.)

M

On 2002-07-24 01:56, woofmutt wrote:
Probably impossibe to pin down, but when did this mug pick up the nickname "Suffering Bastard"?

Woofmutt,
Well, there is the drink of course:

classic bastard: 1 part gin, 1 part rum, 1/2 part lime juice, dash o' bitters, 1 part ginger ale, over ice

I recall an interview with Bosko wherein he mentioned "he and his friends" call the classic TV vessel the "S'n B". But which friends and how did they come to know of it as a suffering bastard? Once again, I defer to Sven, another question for bigrbo.

Anywho, the name sure does fit doesn't it? And I won't be getting one anytime soon, unless I gets real lucky or someone out there has TWO and wishes to trade for one of my too cool mugs. Uh, maybe not.

midnite

Yeah, the name "Suffering Bastard" had already stuck when I came across that Trader Vic brochure. Was it Otto, me, Jeff Berry, Bosko, Doug Miller..?...I don't remember.

Don't worry if you can't afford the original mug, Tiki Farm is remaking them for Trader Vic (I know it's not the same), and if they do as good a job as with the Mr. Bali Hai, it's going to be very much alike.
So watch out for price changes and mistaken SBs on E-bay...I am sure some sellers will take advantage and pawn them of as genuine (simply by NOT mentioning that they are remakes)

M

Thanks for the "heads up" on the newsih Sufferin B's, Sven. I was aware of the Bali Hai and TV's honi honi mugs Tiki Farm was replicating. You can bet some sellers will be on Ebay with the new SB's, hoping for some unsuspecting bidders.

Appreciate the info, that's what Tiki Central is all about.

midnite

I got email about the remakes and they say

All mugs will be clearly marked Trader Vic's by Tiki Farm copyright 2002 so as to distinguish them from the older, collectible mugs.
but hey that ain't gonna stop bad sellers. but on the bright side i can finally aford some sufferin cups

How can this be in excellent condition? Are scratches and discoloration supposed to be excellent!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2123426239

:sheckymug:

M

Hmmm...That is probably not "excellent" in my book, however they do damage easily given that textured finish on them.

I could fix him up real nice, put him back into top Sufferin condition! Alas, when my "all-time" high paid for a mug is $70 (special circumstance), and considering my collection has actually paid for itself from selling duplicates and unwanteds I cannot bring myself to paying up.

It's like George Costanza on "Seinfeld" and NOT paying for parking: I still think I can get one for the low price some of my fellow Tiki Centralites have scored their's. Plus it is a great Tiki Hunt for me. I can keep looking, hoping to track one down someplace.

Want to see the BEST home Tiki Bar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2124962814&rd=1

One like this, darker finish, sold on ebay about 10 months ago, $850. This is my fave bar, oh, if I had the space...and lived near Tallahasee!

K

Speaking of T.V.'s mugs, what's with the Lantern mugs they have, and the one in black that looks like an African Lady's head? I've seen pics of old ones, so these must be recent repros. From where? What's worse, Vic's staff wouldn't sell me any. I came SO CLOSE to a lantern mug, but the bartender at the last minute asked the manager (in Atlanta) who said they were too low on stock.

WON'T SOMEBODY TAKE MY MONEY!??

I just got one of the extra unsold little Suffering Bastard mugs available at the Oasis, and it's a superb little mug. I really can't wait for the normal size mugs and the decanter!

Stamped on the bottom are the words "Trader Vic's by Tiki Farm 2002". So, a dodgy eBay seller may well get stomped if they are 'economical' with the truth.

Trader Woody

W

That is a swell bar. The seller's description is of the paint-the-morons-a-picture type..."Sure, they'll look at my item but maybe they won't know what to do with it..." I like the advertisement promise ring to the line "Completely changes any room you put it in." And there's the quiet poetry of "Wood has a nice seasoned aged color to it."

I bought what looks like this same bar but with only 3 swivel stools. (Goodwill $200.00.) "Tehran" was pencilled on the inside.
I can't get it in the house so it is in my backyard. I have modified it. I removed the grill at the top and cut out the hardboard behind it. I reattached the grill with orange plexiglass in place of the hardboard. On the inside, I installed four lights, screwed into the underside of the bar. The orange light shining through this grill at night is a very nice effect.

M

On 2002-07-25 04:44, mrtikibar wrote:
I bought what looks like this same bar but with only 3 swivel stools. (Goodwill $200.00.)

That's a great buy on a great bar. It is a big boy, most home Tiki bars are set up for 2, maybe 3, stools. I am partial to the curved design, allows it to be put in corner.

Someday!

But first I gotta move, or I am sleeping on the bar.

midnite

M

On 2002-07-24 14:13, Kentiki wrote:
Speaking of T.V.'s mugs, what's with the Lantern mugs they have, and the one in black that looks like an African Lady's head? I've seen pics of old ones, so these must be recent repros.

Hiya Ken,
I saw one of the green starboard lamp mugs when I was at Chicago TV. Never saw one on Ebay until last week, went for $26! I as all prepped to order a "Kamaaina" at TV's and take home the souvenir "Aloha" coconut. The barkeeps told me management stopped giving them away. Boy, was I bummed.

Really thought they should have made an exception in my case, considering I came ALL the way from San Francisco, and spent A LOT of money there during my trip. :) I was even asking to buy one too, they called down, what ya know? Too low on stock.

It's a shame, a "souvenir" is one of the things that made a Tiki reatuarant visit. That set the Tiki palaces apart from the more run of the mill eateries. So hopefully they will reinstate some drink vessel as a take-home.

BTW, I am reading the story of the Stork Club, and the book says the club was losing a few dozen ashtrays a day in their busy years. So, the owners have a point. I say let people pay for the mug or whatever in the price f the drink. Sheese, Mai-Tais are $8 a TV!

midnite

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki on 2002-07-25 12:08 ]

Yeah, it's big. I don't know what the long term future for this thing is but right now the birds are pooping on it if it isn't covered up.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2002-07-25 15:35 ]

M

Well, that Sufferin' B went for a steal of a deal $155!

I think the prices are coming down fast, yep...the bottom is falling out here. Market for TV mugs is crashing, demand ebbing, sell now!

Just trying to talk the price down, hee hee! Talk it down about 100 bones, or more.

midnite

K

Hey Midnite!

The green ones were great, I also saw clear ones and red ones. They could tell I was gettin desperate. I thought about creating a diversion to steal a couple, but I'm too honest (and chicken). I don't understand why they don't order enough to sell, or at least tell me where I can order them! They did tell me they hand wash most mugs, and that the lanterns are particulary expensive.

The only time I saw one on Ebay was months ago, and the seller claimed it was old (it did look like it's gotten thousands tipsy over the years). It went for like 35-40 bucks.

The T.V. Atlanta manager (wearing glasses) looked so much like the guy in the last Indiana Jones movie, at that dinner with the beetles, etc. "Dr. Jones, please take that lantern mug out of yor pants and return it to the bar." Ok, am I the only one who remembers that detail about the movie?

That manager was VERY uptight last time I was there.

Ken

M

Blah blah blah...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2128647308&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1029024755&indexURL=0&rd=1

A pre-auction "I ain't getting them" prognostication:

$487.49

midnite

M

Ok, Karnac the Magnificent was pretty dang close!

The set of 3 Sufferin' B's went for $438. I was off by $40 or so. Not bad. Another lone Sufferin' B mug just left the block with a winning bid of, gulp!, $180.

One of these days, one of these days....NAH.

midnite

M

And we go again, and again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2130814556

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2132630648

Some sellers have quite a few of these, eh? What is there, some type of Sufferin' B graveyard out there? Seems like "market price" for these is around $140-200, at least on ebay.

midnite

Pages: 1 22 replies